Top Shelf Aquatics

new Canon stuff announced today.

bzphotog

Thanks, you're helping me understand how the different camera's and features intertwine. So what is it that people like about the FF camera's why are they revered so highly?

full frame cameras have image sensors that are the exact same dimensions as 35mm film. in terms of mechanics, this means a larger image sensor. it also means that when you shoot with a 50mm lens, your focal length is truly 50mm (as vs 50mm x 1.6 on a 1.6x crop body like the 50D).

in terms of image quality, because the full frame sensor has a potentially lower pixel per inch density, you get better light sensitivity and a better image quality overall. this, of course, comes at a cost of larger files and slower write speeds because there is more data to write. you also capture the (potentially) softer / darker edges of your lenses with a full frame, where these areas are cropped out in a crop body.

edit: also, read this review: http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/5d-mk-ii.htm

the things that scared me are:

the 5D Mark II will let you see errors in your technique, subject motion blur, limited depth-of-field, and lens limitations more clearly than any camera I've ever used.

Yes, more pixels, but you had better have some real Perkin-Elmer spy-satellite grade optics to make good use of them. For most people, all the more pixels of the 5D Mark II is going to show you are the limits of your Canon L-series lenses and your technique.
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TriggerHappyDude

I do want to ask a noobie question about the video on the 5DM2...I know its been stated it has a time limitation...but my wife asked me this and I wasn't sure so I figured it was a good question to post here. The time limit is set just from when you hit record to when you hit stop or you hit the time limit right? Meaning you could have more than one instance of say a 10 min clip, its not a limit on the camera as a whole correct? Its per instance of hitting the record button?

I do want to ask a noobie question about the video on the 5DM2...I know its been stated it has a time limitation...but my wife asked me this and I wasn't sure so I figured it was a good question to post here. The time limit is set just from when you hit record to when you hit stop or you hit the time limit right? Meaning you could have more than one instance of say a 10 min clip right, its not a limit on the camera as a whole right, its per instance of hitting the record button, right?

:mellow:

TriggerHappyDude

Ok, well I answered her right, I just wanted to make sure...you never know, I figured her question was too obvious to be a good question...but since I'm not an expert yet...? Why not post it to make sure...etc.

This video is still just grabbing my attention...

http://www.dslrvids.com/

http://www.dslrvids.com/?p=163

Especially ones like this for the reefers in us all...

http://www.vimeo.com/3386893

Also, I don't really care for Ken Rockwell...

lol, ok. cause he said he loved it like a week ago.

i'm not trolling

the mp20 is a POS

the mp40w however, is godly.

TriggerHappyDude

I'm about 95% sure I'm going to pull the trigger (no name pun intended) on the 5D Mark II now...its a Godly beast of a camera...I just love it. Watched a few unboxing videos online, drooled, wiped up the puddles, and moved on...man...wow.

I think the lens that comes with the kit, 24-105mm f/4L IS will be a good start.

Maybe get a 85mm f/1.2L II a bit afterwards, and 24mm f/1.4L II...then down the road sometime a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS?

Anyways...

I've never been THIS excited about a camera before. My mind is running a million miles an hour.

TriggerHappyDude

So you don't think the 1.2 is worth the money?

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-85mm-f1-2L-Len...0483&sr=1-1

You're saying to get the 1.8 and save $$$?

Amazon.com Product Description

Retaining the impressive optical performance and large aperture of the original Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L lens, this revamped medium telephoto lens employs a ring-type Ultra Sonic Motor (USM), high-speed CPU, and optimized algorithms to achieve an autofocus speed that's approximately 1.8x faster than the original. This high-speed autofocus system combines with the circular aperture to create a shallow depth of field that brings attention to the subject and blurs the background, an ideal effect for portraits and weddings. In addition, the lens's floating optical system includes an aspherical lens element that suppresses aberrations and produces an excellent imaging performance.

Specifications

Focal length: 85mm

Maximum aperture: f/1.2

Lens construction: 8 elements in 7 groups

Angle of view: 28 degrees @ 30 feet

Focus adjustment: Autofocus with full-time manual

Closest focusing distance: 3.2 feet

Filter size: 72mm

Dimensions: 3.6 inches in diameter and 3.3 inches long

Weight: 36.2 ounces

Warranty: 1 year

Could save some money at the Ritz Liquidation sale which starts tomorrow at the 400 stores that are closing. Some are staying open.

Link

Probably won't be any good deals for a while though. I'd assume they'd shift out the good stock to the stores that are staying in business and move all the clearance crap to the ones that are closing.

TriggerHappyDude
dont listen to anything KenRockwell says...he is a MORON

This was the same impression I got just from some of his reviews a friend sent me links to, I understand the guy knows his camera's, but still...I didn't care for his reviews.

Could save some money at the Ritz Liquidation sale which starts tomorrow at the 400 stores that are closing. Some are staying open.

Link

Probably won't be any good deals for a while though. I'd assume they'd shift out the good stock to the stores that are staying in business and move all the clearance crap to the ones that are closing.

Unless they are online, I don't have one in Oklahoma.

So are these the Big 3 of online camera sales, trustworthy, great prices etc?

http://www.calumetphoto.com

http://www.adorama.com

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

TriggerHappyDude
if i were independently wealthy like you seem to be, i'd get the L. are you going to be able to tell the difference between shots you take of your dog and kids on the 1.2 vs the 1.8? doubtful.

Ha, I'm about to have my first kid, no way am I independently wealthy.

So the Canon Prime Lenses are called the L series, and then there are the Zoom series?

What is the Canon "L" Lens Series?

Good question - and many answers exist, but it is Canon's professional line (though used extensively by non-professionals) of EOS EF autofocus 35mm SLR and DSLR still camera lenses. Some say L stands for "Low Distortion" - achieved by the UD lens elements found in these lenses. But, the true answer is probably the one in Canon's Lens Work III Book - "L" is for "Luxury".

Watch the sidelines at the next professional sporting event you attend or watch on TV. Look for the identifying L-lens red stripe around the end of the photographers' camera lenses. These are the people who make a living with their equipment - and they frequently trust the Canon L Lens Series for their income.

About their L lenses, Canon says "these lenses use special optical technologies [such as] Ultra-low Dispersion UD glass, Super Low Dispersion glass, Fluorite elements, and Aspherical elements to truly push the optical envelope."

OK so what does that mean - practically speaking?

What you can get when you use Canon L lenses (if you do your part right) are amazing pictures. In fact, this amazement is said to cause a disease know as "L-Disease". Once caught, it is incurable. You will have to buy Canon L lenses in all of the focal lengths you use. AND you will be happy (and I hope you know that I am not being totally serious).

the 85 1.2 is not a lens for everyone..personally I do not like it. sure 1.2 lets in alot of light but thats very very shallow depth of field. Also the 1.2 has a SUPER SLOW focus system..its a drive by wire system that will not MF if there is no power going to the camera. The 85 1.8 ha LIGHTNING fast af and IQ is very good..at 1.8 in very high contrast situations it does suffer from purple fringing.

Canon L lenses are just canons Top Pro line gear. They are primes and zooms. They have very robust build. faster apertures, fast AF systems normally, better contrast and color, sharpness is better even wide open. Most lenses are the softest wide open. You do pay a premium for that L though...If you want high quality for lower price look at the Sigma EX lineup..they are the Sigma pro gear and they can go toe to toe with the Canon L's

I have had many Sigma EX lenses and they are very good bang for the buck. Liek the new Sigma 50 1.4 is a very good lens.

TriggerHappyDude

05XRunner, my wife's uncle told me about the Sigma lenses, he also speaks very highly of them.

I will for sure venture into those, I'm going to guess once I buy 5DM2 kit, I might have to wait a little bit to get a new lens...but at least you all have given me some valuable information.

as you can see in my sig I have the Sigma lenses as well.

I have also had the Sigma 50-500 EX, 50 1.4 EX, 10-20 EX(cant use this on your 5D)

they where all killer lenses. the 50-500 I sold because I wanted to try out the 100-400 and all its hype..The 100-400 to me is not worth the 1300 price tag. Its nice and only reason I am keeping it cause the IS and its smaller so it fits in my bag, the 50 1.4 is a great lens..Mine was razor sharp at 1.4 and the bokeh is the best of all the 50's I sold it cause I dont like primes and the 10-20 was a great ultra wide..I got rid of that cause its designed to only work with the 1.6x crop cameras. So on my 1D it would vignette if I stopped it down past 6.3

TriggerHappyDude

I'll assume that macro lens would be good to take some tank shots with?

Other questions to start discussing...

CF Cards that would be good for this camera and use?

6d585acdbf6348d9b1e4054c093888aa.jpg

Tripods that are popular and great to use?

ASSET_57437.jpg

Flashes to consider?

04ef40f04a6d4289943cbe9c8306d469.jpg

Camera bags, personal preference, but where to shop for a nice selection?

acc4f29e40e74d49a8445fe710cd98bb.jpg

I'll assume that macro lens would be good to take some tank shots with?

I think the Sig 150 is the best macro you can buy :happy:

Archived