Cultivated Reef

new Canon stuff announced today.

bzphotog

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
disaster999

what i always tell people what to pick is go read the specs on the camera and see what they prefer or whats more important to them. go play with the camera either a friends or at a store. hold the camera in your hands see which one you like. the feel and touch. play with the buttons, menu and see which one feels the most natural to you.

and i always tell people its not the camera that takes great photography, but the monkey behind the camera.

:lol:

nice to see you agree with me

TriggerHappyDude

Now I'm starting to study the 5D Mark II...the HD video caught my eye. I know video is not a reason to buy a camera, but with this camera its like icing on the cake. I compared the video shot with the 5DM2 and a Canon consumer HD video camcorder...5DM2 blew it away...oh no...I'm in trouble.

Now I'm starting to study the 5D Mark II...the HD video caught my eye. I know video is not a reason to buy a camera, but with this camera its like icing on the cake. I compared the video shot with the 5DM2 and a Canon consumer HD video camcorder...5DM2 blew it away...oh no...

keep doing your research... there are several "features" of the HD video capabilities on the 5D2 that make it much less user-friendly than a consumer-level HD camcorder. see: focus and framerate

better put your flame suit on...o5x is gonna drop the bomb

I think he has the 5d2 and D90 video responses available on a copy and paste basis

TriggerHappyDude
keep doing your research... there are several "features" of the HD video capabilities on the 5D2 that make it much less user-friendly than a consumer-level HD camcorder. see: focus and framerate

I've done the research there, and I understand the manual focus and framerate stuff. To me the proof is in the video that I see online...I have been comparing the 5DM2 video clips to the VIXIA clips online at Vimeo and there no comparison. The 5DM2 blows it all away. Seeing is believing with these clips. There are a couple of new Vixia camcorders out that are too new to see any online clips yet, but I still doubt they look as good. Is there another brand of consumer HD Camcorder that would have comparable video quality to what the 5DM2 is showing me online?

I'm not wanting full featured films, just some short clips that look amazing. Combo that with an awesome camera and well the 5DM2 just sounds too good to be true for me.

Canon 5D Mark II

http://www.vimeo.com/videos/search:Canon%205D%20Mark%20II

Canon Vixia

http://www.vimeo.com/videos/search:Canon%20VIXIA%20

better put your flame suit on...o5x is gonna drop the bomb

I guess have to put it on for JER as well..He feels the same way as me about it..Not needed in a STILL camera

TriggerHappyDude

05XRunner,

What do you think of my decisions to go with a 5DM2 as a camera/HD video answer?

I dont think its something that should be used as both...I mean the 5D2 only gives 12min of video to record no matter how large of the card..It has nice resolution but I still think DSLR should take still pics...and video camera does the video. not a mix. One other thing..have you seen videos from it other then that pro one...Sure the vid is nice..But the audio it has a small flickering sound from the camera itself you can hear if filming a quiet area.

TriggerHappyDude

The audio isn't going to be that big of deal to me, I will probably be adding music to most of my clips anyway, not all, but some and the ones where I use the audio, should not be a very quiet shoot anyway...not filming deer hunting or anything.

I just can't get over how much better the HD Video is over some of the HD camcorder video I've seen, consumer camcorders. I don't want to spend the top $$ on a pro video camera just to get similar quality of the 5DM2...unless I can spend about the same prices as a 5DM2 on say a 50D and a Pro HD video camera?

TriggerHappyDude

Yeah, and thats for making movies or something more than I want to do. I want some HD home video, small clips are fine...everything I've seen from the 5DM2 on Vimeo is amazing...

even though it has the video option..I will bet you dont use it very often..We all want something cause we think its cool..but when we get it dont even use it...Like I bought that vortech MP20 cause I wanted to make waves in my tank..i got it and did it for about 10min and was like ehhh thats boring.

TriggerHappyDude

Well we'll see. I don't know how often I'd use the VIXIA HD Camcorder either, I do like the size and feel, but the video just doesn't have the same IQ...if it did I would do that along with a 50D.

I think you are telling me the 5DM2 is too much camera for a noobie, and to stick with the 50D? <_<

Like I bought that vortech MP20 cause I wanted to make waves in my tank..i got it and did it for about 10min and was like ehhh thats boring.

:lol:

o, wait :unsure:

me too :(

TriggerHappyDude

Great, guess I'm going to be really disappointed in my MP40w? Awesome.

I totally understand what you are saying 05XRunner, but I think in this very small particular case, this camera and its video will be a perfect match for me and my needs. Just the fact I've been shopping a nice DSLR, this is one, and wanted HD Video to record some of my son who will arrive in the world in June, and various other smaller clips here and there, and then import into some software on a Mac and add music and titles etc...with some audio, nothing major. This camera fits that bill. I just don't think I need or want to watch 30 - 60 min videos, I always skip to the meat of the video, and in this case, I could just have the meat ready.

I found this video where he has a nice microphone hooked up to the 5DM2 as well, I'm sure if audio becomes an issue, I could do something similar?

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?ac...;articleID=2888

It just makes sense to me.

i never said the MP20 was bad..I was saying my hype about the wave feature wasnt anything great...I like all the other stuff about it

TriggerHappyDude
i never said the MP20 was bad..I was saying my hype about the wave feature wasnt anything great...I like all the other stuff about it

I see your point 05XRunner, the MP20 is the Camera, and the flow of the MP20 is the picture taking of the camera, and so the wave feature is like the HD video of the camera...I see what you are saying.

But I keep my stance and think this is the perfect match for my wants and needs.

Archived