Cultivated Reef

DHaut's Hoity Toity

Deleted User 6

Deleted User 6
SketchUp of the stand's frame. 2x4s for the frame. Thoughts?

newstand-1.jpg

Kinda like this, Richie. It's just the frame though and I've got some tweaking to do.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Needreefunds
Kinda like this, Richie. It's just the frame though and I've got some tweaking to do.

I know you want the height for viewing, but will you be able to service the fuge through that tight opening?

Perhaps that's the tweaking you speak of? :D

This is something I have wanted to do as well, but I really do not have the room. My little 5.5 must suffice for now. :P

Needreefunds

Perhaps the lower portion ( below the display ) can be "deeper" allowing you a few inches clearance at the back to help with this?

Sorry if you didn't follow and my sketch / paint/ skillz are non-existent.

Deleted User 6
sweet,a display fuge!

Perfect for some PURPLE HORNETS!

Perhaps the lower portion ( below the display ) can be "deeper" allowing you a few inches clearance at the back to help with this?

Sorry if you didn't follow and my sketch / paint/ skillz are non-existent.

Yeah, I follow. Those dimensions are outdated now (in the design I posted). The tank will now be only 14" high and the stand is going to be a bit taller, so that's going to give me more room to work with. For clearance behind the stand, it's not a bad idea. I'll do some fiddling with sketchup and see if I can come up with something I like.

Thanks!

Deleted User 6

My tank just overflowed a bit :angry:

I cut back the flow on the return so it shouldn't happen again. Good thing it was only about a half gallon.

Good thing you were there to catch it. :scarry:

That's why I have an overflow that will handle a lot more than the sump return pump can push.

Deleted User 6
Good thing you were there to catch it. :scarry:

That's why I have an overflow that will handle a lot more than the sump return pump can push.

Yeah, I'm switching out pumps after the move. The Mag5 is overkill.

sakura51707

i love, love your tank especially the rock wall :D

can't wait to see pics of the display fuge up and running :D

Deleted User 6

Thanks! Yeah, I'm really excited about the display fuge. I told David I'll be placing some orders with SeaLife and reefcleaners over the next couple months if you guys want to split shipping.

Amazing tank man. Love the wall (just like everyone else)! I spent the last two days reading your two threads and it was some very interesting stuff! That was some amazing live you rock! I might have to order something from the sealife site you mentioned. I love your mutualism idea too. I might have to borrow from it a little when im considering my stock options (not NASDAQ). Anyways keep up the good work!

Ps nice table

Deleted User 6

Thanks bach! borrow away :)

and sea life inc is amazing! just wait till I get my new display fuge set up.

in your tweaking leave a spot for the Mangroves to grow out too.

Deleted User 6
in your tweaking leave a spot for the Mangroves to grow out too.

All but one is dead :(

I'm giving the last one to DCG1286.

Can I ask what happened to your mangroves? Mine didn't thrive, but didn't die. They ended up getting some type of slimy white fungus that I couldn't ID, and I was afraid that it would wind up in my DT.

Thanks,

Anne

Deleted User 6
your not going to get more for the Biotope?

No, for the reason you just mentioned. I don't have room for them to grow out effectively. Mangroves are cool, for sure, but if I can't provide the right environment for them I shouldn't get them (learned that when I killed the last few).

Can I ask what happened to your mangroves? Mine didn't thrive, but didn't die. They ended up getting some type of slimy white fungus that I couldn't ID, and I was afraid that it would wind up in my DT.

Thanks,

Anne

Mine got a white fungus too, but I submerged mine all the way in water when I got them and I think it killed them. Stupid noob mistake. My current one isn't growing well either.

Thanks,

Anne

Mine did that too. I had to rinse it off in fresh water ever day and it eventually died off. one of my is doing relay well now. a bare spot of sand formed right above it and now the display light shines down into the sump and its growing like crazy.

Thanks for answering and sharing your experiences, DHaut and Atari. Of course, now I'm laughing at myself. I tossed mine when the fungus didn't/wouldn't die, and assumed it must have been something I did to it in my newbishness. Live and learn. :lol:

Archived