Coral Vue Hydros

Professor's 40 Breeder

Professor

No problem. If I remember correctly it is 3" wide by 5" long, but i can't remember the height. I emailed Marineland for the exact dimensions before I ordered it so I will dig up that email and/or measure it for you when I get home tonight.

-Prof

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On another note I have been doing careful observations of my fuge, as this is the first time I have run one. One of the big things I noticed is that I get absolutely no micro algae on my glass in the fuge. Also, I am fighting a dino/cyano problem in the display but have none in the fuge which is much lower flow. Both the display and the fuge are lit by T5HO and are running current bulbs right now. Nitrates are undetectable. Based on this I am seriously contemplating adding macro to the display. I think there is a correlation between physical contact with the macro and nuisance algae control. With the macro being run "remotely" in the fuge it is doing a fantastic job with Nitrates, keeping pH stable etc, but I still get micro-algae on the glass in the display and have the issue with the sandbed I am slowly winning. I know pods like to eat micro-algae, but I don't feel I really have that significant of a pod population yet to where they are keeping a 20 gallon sump, most of which is fuge, clear of micro-algae. It makes me wonder if macro algaes excrete alleopathic substances to compete for space/nutrients with other forms of algae? Thoughts? :)

-Prof

This is interesting.

Truthfully, I don't know the answer, I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Maybe johnmaloney or Mr. Fosi?

See, this is why I'd like to get a SW Planted Sub-Forum going!

This discussion would be perfect there.

Actually Prof, wouldn't hurt to start a thread on this in the Refugium Forum, might get a better response there.

VERY glad to hear of the improvement in your Monti's. :happydance:

Deleted User 6

that's interesting, Prof. I actually get a lot of micro algae in both of my displays and I have a ton of macros. I think my problem is the need of a stronger CUC, lol.

This is interesting.

Truthfully, I don't know the answer, I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Maybe johnmaloney or Mr. Fosi?

See, this is why I'd like to get a SW Planted Sub-Forum going!

This discussion would be perfect there.

Actually Prof, wouldn't hurt to start a thread on this in the Refugium Forum, might get a better response there.

VERY glad to hear of the improvement in your Monti's. :happydance:

Thanks for the happy dance! Good idea on the re-posting the ? in the Refugium forum. Look for that later.

that's interesting, Prof. I actually get a lot of micro algae in both of my displays and I have a ton of macros. I think my problem is the need of a stronger CUC, lol.

Geez D, I come up with a theory and you roll up and pee on it!!! :P J/K

In all seriousness, I really cheap out on clean-up crews and while I always have less than the "recommended" amount, I seldom have an issue with nuisance algae other than the green micro that dusts my glass every couple of days. I see people buying huge cleanup crews after their cycle and shudder to think of the mortality rates, particularly of the snails, once they clean up the initial cycle blooms and slowly starve from having nothing to eat.

I wonder if maybe it has something to do with how long the macros are established. Terrestial plants compete with one another for space, nutrients and sunlight with various weapons, just like coral do. I don't think it is beyond the realm of possibility Macros can too.

-Prof

I use the same theory - i start bare bones, then see how the tank fares, then add more if the nuisance algae won't go away.

Truth. That's the responsible way to do it. I have a turbo and 2 nassarius I have are pushing 4 years old, and that's just how long I have had them.

-Prof

could you be so kind as to give me the dims on the maxijet nj3000? Im thinking of using one to power an aio 16in cube. Also, how do you like it? quiet, heat issues? It was this or an eheim compact+

YGPM.

Good news today! Looks like I have the sandbed ugliness beat (pretty sure it was cyano now), the monti's that were affected by the phosphate remover disaster are on the mend, starting to get color back and even a touch of growth! Also, my GBTA that decided to hide on me is wandering it's way back into the light. Pretty nice to have the tank looking good again, especially seeing it after a long, hard day at work. Only down side was the GBTA wandered through some blue zoas I had and made them really angry.

Anyway on to some updated pics:

Montis (recovering):

100_1027.jpg

New pink plating acro:

100_1028.jpg

My BTA's

100_1029.jpg

Left Side:

100_1030.jpg

Right Side:

100_1031.jpg

FTS:

100_1026.jpg

-Prof

Looking good, I completely missed this one. Yea HOT is a crappy store. Roozens is hit or miss. The best store around us was Aqua Co in Reston, Va which closed shop. You could always venture out to BRK in McLean,VA.

I thought you were having tank issues?? :huh:

:lol:

Very nice Prof.

Glad to hear things seem to be rebounding nicely!

Thanks NRF! I was lucky I was able to keep the cyano confined to the sandbed. Even then it can be a bear to beat though. Now that I have that licked I can start looking to add more stuff to the tank. I didn't want to add anything else until I had it under control.

Looking good, I completely missed this one. Yea HOT is a crappy store. Roozens is hit or miss. The best store around us was Aqua Co in Reston, Va which closed shop. You could always venture out to BRK in McLean,VA.

Thanks! What is BRK? Isn't McLean where all the rich folks live? Any LFS there must be nice! ;) I am always looking for new LFS's to check out so if you can send me the details I would appreciate it. I will never go back to HOT. I have found some good treasures at Roozens over the years, but that place is pretty funky.

YAY!!!!!!!!!

Double Yay!!!!!! Thanks Weetie! :flower:

Nice nems! My RBTA is slowly but surely taking over my 18gal cube. <_<

Yup, they have a way of doing that. I'm just happy that the one I had that split is all healed and is starting to look normal again.

-Prof

Thanks NRF! I was lucky I was able to keep the cyano confined to the sandbed. Even then it can be a bear to beat though. Now that I have that licked I can start looking to add more stuff to the tank. I didn't want to add anything else until I had it under control.

Thanks! What is BRK? Isn't McLean where all the rich folks live? Any LFS there must be nice! ;) I am always looking for new LFS's to check out so if you can send me the details I would appreciate it. I will never go back to HOT. I have found some good treasures at Roozens over the years, but that place is pretty funky.

Blue Ribbon Koi......... Johnny gets some good stuff.

Im thinking your nems may have touched your birdsnest. I used to have a large one until it started moving demolishing my sps in its path. Just a thought.

I almost wish that was the answer but where my birdsnest was there was no way for the nems to get to it and the one that was wandering didn't really start doing it until after the bleaching event. .

Blue Ribbon Koi......... Johnny gets some good stuff.

Thanks DT. I will check them out on my next reefing road trip! :D

-Prof

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update since I have not posted in a while. Tank is cruising along fine without any problems, except one of of my GBTA's has settled in the back corner of the tank and apparently likes it there :angry:

Did get some new frags: A nice Pink Birdsnest with purple polyps, some Anthelia I have parked on the sandbed for now until I decide where to place it and a nice purple acro frag. On to the pics!

Insert obligatory "I take lousy pics" apology here. -_-

Nems:

100_1054.jpg

Montis:

100_1050.jpg

New Birdsnest:

100_1052.jpg

New Acro:

100_1053.jpg

And a FTS:

100_1049.jpg

Enjoy!

-Prof

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Tank is cruising along very well. Did a WC yesterday and a major pruning on the fuge. I pulled out enough macro to fill a 10 gallon tank!

In the good news column my RBTA has decided to split and I also acquired a orange Monti Cap that I have mounted with my green ones. I hope the effect will look good once they grow in. My SPS are doing well and are gowing and encrusting, but my polyp extension is not what I think it should be on the acros. They seem to be doing okay though so I will just watch for now. I have a couple other additions which includes some Blue Cloves and some Anthelia.

In the not-so-good news column I found a Aipstasia, which I promptly nuked. Hopefully he is the only one. Also my Green Clown Goby is MIA that I recently got. Hopefully he will show up.

Anyway, on to the pics. (I apologize in advance, they were taken on my camera phone)

Some SPS:

IMG00018-20091115-1616.jpg

Montis:

IMG00013-20091115-1614.jpg

BTA's and Clowns:

IMG00014-20091115-1614.jpg

Two 3/4 shots:

IMG00016-20091115-1615.jpg

IMG00017-20091115-1615.jpg

And the obligatory FTS:

IMG00012-20091115-1614.jpg

Enjoy!

-Prof

Such a sweet tank.

Still lovin' it Prof!

Hope the goby turns up soon.

Thanks NRF. Still looking fo the GCG. He is still MIA though. Hopefully he will pop up soon. There are so many nooks and crannies in this tank a fish his size could hide forever!

LOVE that green monti colony. So cool!

Thanks D. Will probably be fragging some of the green soon. Should I keep you in mind?

-Prof

Archived