Cultivated Reef

Professor's 40 Breeder

Professor

Wow, it has been a while since I posted. Stand is all done and I am building the sump. Finally got my priorities straight and ordered the Glass-Holes 700GPH so I will be drilling glass this weekend. Also, my wonderful bride suprised my with a spanking new Vortech MP20 for my birthday so I am all set to go on this bad boy. Will post pics after drilling is complete. Now I just have to decide what to do first tomorrow, drill a tank or eat crabs and drink beer!!! B)

-Prof

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you are so lucky you have a woman that is so understanding of your hobby and got you a vortech. Mine would kill me if she knew how much it cost. I'm dieing to see your setup.

you are so lucky you have a woman that is so understanding of your hobby and got you a vortech. Mine would kill me if she knew how much it cost. I'm dieing to see your setup.

My wife is the best. She totally gets my addiction and is very supportive.

I can't wait to get this thing set up!!!! :o:o:o

-Prof

Looks like we're both gonna be working on drilling and plumbing our setups at the same time.

Are you as nervous as I am?

I used that same 700 GPH kit from Glass-Holes for my 40B, too, with the dual 3/4" returns, AND with a Quiet One 3000! To slow mine down, I have it running through a SCWD.

I almost didn't drill mine. I thought it might be fun to set it up with dual big-ass AquaClear fuges on the back, but then I got to thinking about running Rowa and such, etc. Right about then I got a free media reactor from Bulk Reef Supply, and that pushed my thinking over the edge, to full-stand-with-sump-and-drilled-overflow. I never looked back.

I searched all over So. Florida for a decent stand and canopy, and finally found a really nice one in a shop in Boca; unfinished pine that I just sanded real well and did a few coats of semi-gloss poly. I love how it came out.

Lol, my wife just rolls her eyes a lot. :rolleyes:

Mine did at first, but she knew about my love of the sea when we got married. I think she likes it because I enjoy it and it keeps me at home and out of trouble. When her friends complain about their husbands always out drinking or playing golf or whatever she just smiles and says hers is at home growing coral!

Looks like we're both gonna be working on drilling and plumbing our setups at the same time.

Are you as nervous as I am?

I am a little bit nervous but not overly so. I have a lot of experience working with tools and my hands so I think as long as I am patient and take it slow it should be okay. How hard can it be!!! ;)

I used that same 700 GPH kit from Glass-Holes for my 40B, too, with the dual 3/4" returns, AND with a Quiet One 3000! To slow mine down, I have it running through a SCWD.

I almost didn't drill mine. I thought it might be fun to set it up with dual big-ass AquaClear fuges on the back, but then I got to thinking about running Rowa and such, etc. Right about then I got a free media reactor from Bulk Reef Supply, and that pushed my thinking over the edge, to full-stand-with-sump-and-drilled-overflow. I never looked back.

I searched all over So. Florida for a decent stand and canopy, and finally found a really nice one in a shop in Boca; unfinished pine that I just sanded real well and did a few coats of semi-gloss poly. I love how it came out.

That is the same configuration I am going with except I am using the Maxi Jet utility pump (3000 I think, I would have to look at the box). I may add the scwd later, for now I am just planning on using a valve to tweak the flow if needed.

Omg, this tank still isn't set up yet? *tapes foot*

:P

Good grief Lani!!! I am going as fast as I can!!!! :P You tank is looking great by the way!

-Prof

My wife really supports me in the hobby, too. I'm very lucky to have her - she gets me gift certificates to LFSs for all my gifts any more. She says that makes it real easy for her.

She's always telling everyone that me being obsessed with this junk "keeps him outta my hair"...

Ok, you win. :flower:

Your the bestest Lani!! :)

My wife really supports me in the hobby, too. I'm very lucky to have her - she gets me gift certificates to LFSs for all my gifts any more. She says that makes it real easy for her.

She's always telling everyone that me being obsessed with this junk "keeps him outta my hair"...

As long as Mama is happy, everybody is happy!!!! ;)

Weetie,

I will be drilling mine either tomorrow or Sunday. I will post pics once done and painted. Good luck with yours!!!!

-Prof

• 2 weeks later...

I has Holes!!!!!

100_0849.jpg

100_0850.jpg

Will install the overflow and the returns once the paint drys all the way. Just need to finish the sump and plumb it up then I will be able to see how wet my water is!! :D

-Prof

fastandsneaky

wow that stand is unbelievable. one of, if not, the best stands made. puts a lot of stands to shame. cant wait till its stocked with all sorts of goodies.

Looks awesome!

I got my tank running over the weekend, although I'm still doing some work on the canopy, hoping to complete that by tonight.

wow that stand is unbelievable. one of, if not, the best stands made. puts a lot of stands to shame. cant wait till its stocked with all sorts of goodies.

Thanks for the compliment!!! I can't wait to get it operational and stocked!

Looks awesome!

I got my tank running over the weekend, although I'm still doing some work on the canopy, hoping to complete that by tonight.

Good deal! I was checking out your thread and I like the display fuge idea. Plus, those mangroves are insane and are going to look awesome!. I still have to finish the sump and plumb it out. Life keeps getting in the way from me goofing off and having fun!!! ;) I am hoping to be able to water test this weekend.

-Prof

Finally made some more progress. Got the sump built and hope to get the plumbing done and do a leak test later today. Will post pics soon. Hopefully everything will work as planned.

I took inspiration for my sump design from Yardboy's Ghetto Beauty 10 gallon. Since I don't plan to skim I wanted as big of a refugium as possible that could also double as a place to put frags. Kind of a display fuge even though it will be in the stand. It essentially is nothing more than a 20H tank with a bubble tower I built that has a media tray in it and a baffle in between the fuge and the pump chamber.

-Prof

Looking good. I love the stand. Heck of a lot nicer than the one I just got for my 40. Then again what can you expect out of a free stand?

Looking good. I love the stand. Heck of a lot nicer than the one I just got for my 40. Then again what can you expect out of a free stand?

Free is always good!

I didn't end up getting the plumbing done today. Need to run to the hardware store for a couple more pieces of PVC.

But since everyone loves pics here are some of my sump installed in the stand. Please note the sexy black silicone! B)

100_0859.jpg

Top down shot

100_0858.jpg

And here is some rock I am playing with for how I want to aquascape the tank. This would be the right side and there will be another stack on the left with my BTA's on it leaving a valley in between. Trying for the tank to have a open feeling.

100_0860.jpg

-Prof

wow that stand is nice.Great color on top of it.

Thanks!!! This project is taking such a long time that I am anxious to get it done. The plumbing should only take a couple of hours and hopefully I can pick up some PVC at lunch tomorrow and get it plumbed after work.

My master plan is to have it in place in the family room with water, sand and rock by the end of this upcoming weekend.

Damn, I need to get some more sand this week!!! :lol:

-Prof

Archived