Innovative Marine Aquariums

Professor's 40 Breeder

Professor

I finally have finished assembling the components and found the time to start working on my 40 breeder project. I plan to transfer my 2 BTA's and pair of A. Occellaris clowns as well as some of my favorite corals from my other tanks. I am thinking about adding a few more clowns and get a true clownfish harem working. Seems like you always see 1 clown or a pair of clowns, but never a family unit. I still need to give that some thought though.

Equipment list:

40 Breeder

Heater

Current Sundial T5HO 36"

Maxi-Jet 3000 submersible utility pump

Skimmer TBD

Custom made stand

I am still sitting the fence on whether to drill or make this an AIO. I have the black acrylic and all the tools and supplies to make it an AIO but I am hesitant to give up the real estate inside the tank. Inputs would be welcome :D .

Anyway, on to the pics. I have the stand frame completed and am hoping to get the back and sides skinned this weekend with oak ply as well as make the solid oak face-frame for the front. LMK what you think.

100_0658.jpg

100_0659.jpg

More to follow as things develop!

-Prof

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DRILL IT!!!

Still weighing all the pros and cons (for my situation at least). I'll figure out what I am going to do while I am working on the stand. I am trying to make it as nice as I can since it is going in our family room. Luckily I have not forgotten all the cabinet/furniture making skills I learned when I was younger! B)

-Prof

Nick's Reef

Geez, how many people bought a 40brd in the last week? Seems like every second a new 40brd build thread is poping up. I think including my thread this is like the 4th or 5th this week!

As for drilling it do it! It frees up so much space and gives you alot more options for equipment down the road like cal and kalk reactors. Oh and stand looks nice, need to paint mine.

Geez, how many people bought a 40brd in the last week? Seems like every second a new 40brd build thread is poping up. I think including my thread this is like the 4th or 5th this week!

As for drilling it do it! It frees up so much space and gives you alot more options for equipment down the road like cal and kalk reactors. Oh and stand looks nice, need to paint mine.

I have actually had mine for about 18 months. Had to hold the project until my basement was finished, plus my mom got real sick and I had to take care of her for the last 2 years. But I am off and running now.

I have been looking at the Glass Holes overflow kits and am think about drilling. I just really like keeping things simple. I will probably make the decision in the next week or so.

-Prof

Looks good so far... stand looks really nice. :)

Thanks PSYS! Still alot more to go. That's just the frame!

-Prof

Alright. Finished skinning the stand today and made the face frame for the front. The center brace is removable in case I drill and add a sump and will accommodate a 20H or 15g. Next will be the trim work, doors and the ledge at the top of the stand that will give me a place to put stuff while working on the tank and hide the tank trim. Will be painting the inside white this week and working on trim, then all I have to do is sand and finish.

Anyhow, on to the pics. Sorry for the poorer than usual quality. The battery died in my camera and I am using my cell phone.

image.jpg

image2.jpg

-Prof

Sneak peek of the inhabitants for the new set up. I have had the clowns for two years and the RBTA for just over one. Took forever for the little buggers to take up residence in it. This is a night time shot.

100_0175.jpg

-Prof

Just finished the first coat of paint on the inside and thought I would throw up a pic before I call it a day. So far I am liking the stand. Still need to pick the lumber up to make my trim and doors. Hoping to have most of it done by the end of this weekend so I can final sand and get it stained and finished.

100_0682.jpg

Still have not made a decision as to whether to drill or not. :o

-Prof

looks good! drill it!!

it may take more money but its such a less hassle then a hob filter and making a fugium out of it, and u get more space in your sump. then u can get all the good stuff like reactors and skimmers =]

it looks nicer imo as well.

I don't think I am going to hit oil if I drill!

Welcome to the club.

The stand looks nice.

Good Luck

:D

I appreciate it. It's been killing me having this tank for so long with nothing in it! I can't wait to get it set up!

IMO if you're nervous about drilling it, go with a false wall in the back. You'd take up what, 3"? That's not much room, and the benefits far outweigh the cons. However, if you have some balls... DRILL IT and put in a nice sized fuge/sump in the stand. I wish my stand had room for a sump.

Welcome to the 40 Club!

My only regret with mine is not drilling it. That's on the list for this summer - but it's going to be a PIA - wish I just did it the first time.

Looking great. I just got mine up last week. It's super beefy custom made type. I chose not to drill either. I have an AC110 AND an AC70. The 110 is a fuge and I run carbon in the 70. I like it fine. Plus I was able to get a stand that did not make me question if I really like this hobby. Check it out.

http://www.worldmarket.com/Sourav-Sideboar...Nty/1/index.pro

It matches a couple other pieces of the same line we already had and it is ridiculously built. I like not having a sump. I hate the look of regular stands. This way I can have some non aquarium "stuff" under the aquarium. Keep the thread alive too. Good job so far.

IMO if you're nervous about drilling it, go with a false wall in the back. You'd take up what, 3"? That's not much room, and the benefits far outweigh the cons. However, if you have some balls... DRILL IT and put in a nice sized fuge/sump in the stand. I wish my stand had room for a sump.

It's not a matter of being nervous or having balls. Mine are solid rock laddie!

Welcome to the 40 Club!

My only regret with mine is not drilling it. That's on the list for this summer - but it's going to be a PIA - wish I just did it the first time.

I read that in your thread. Your tank is awesome by the way. The more I look at my tank, I am thinking drilling is the solution. I just don't want to give up that space

that stand is nice! :]

wanna make me one someday? :P

Thanks! I charge by cases of beer. A project like this is about 10 cases.

Looking great. I just got mine up last week. It's super beefy custom made type. I chose not to drill either. I have an AC110 AND an AC70. The 110 is a fuge and I run carbon in the 70. I like it fine. Plus I was able to get a stand that did not make me question if I really like this hobby. Check it out.

http://www.worldmarket.com/Sourav-Sideboar...Nty/1/index.pro

It matches a couple other pieces of the same line we already had and it is ridiculously built. I like not having a sump. I hate the look of regular stands. This way I can have some non aquarium "stuff" under the aquarium. Keep the thread alive too. Good job so far.

Most commercial aquarium stands are unattractive IMHO. The selection for 40br stands from the companies making the nicer stands is almost non-existant. DIY is the only way to go. When this is done it will look more like furniture than a aquarium stand.

Probably not going to get any work done tonight on the stand. Gonna drink beer and watch hockey!

-Prof

Edited to correct beer induced gramatical errors

Archived