Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Professor's 40 Breeder

Professor

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oddly enough my brother and I lived so far away from civilization (or maybe that's just what my parents told me) we also rode a short bus to school. It sucked.

Prof I totally agree, the dangers of interbreeding and producing genetically inferior offspring are certainly present if keeping a harem from the same clutch. A few months back I bought a pair of tank-bred true percs which look like they were either from pretty poor stock or had been bred so heavily that they came out runty and weak-looking overall. You're also right, I kept freshwater for years and their are some serious atrocities which occur. Hell if you've seen "glo-fish" they don't even breed those things naturally, their juiced full of starfish DNA and grown in a test tube to create gross colored fish (which I think are in the Danio family?)

I've contacted a reputable breeder, and I believe I am going to go ahead with my plan to try and create a small harem. If it fails I've got a QT (/growout tank) ready to go. If my fish breed I will take things from there. If it succeeds I will have a gorgeous display and something relatively unique in the hobby. I'll keep you posted!

• 3 weeks later...

P-daddy: Good luck with your clowns!

On another note I am getting ready to transfer my SPS to a smaller, LED lit tank, as my BTA's are starting to pose a danger. I will post some new pics once the move is complete.

My Pom Pom crab larvae did not survive unforunately :angry: . The good new is that she is carrying eggs again so I get to take another shot at it.

-Prof

Wow! I haven't checked in in a while. Very nicely done!

Thanks!

What are you using to raise the fry?

I was using a mix of BBS as well as some very small free-swimming crustaceans (probably baby pods) that live in my fuge that are about the size of the tip of a needle. To get those I have to turn of the fuge light and pump and shine a flashlight against the glass for about 10 minutes and they come to the light. Then I siphon them out. I am readinng a thread on MOFIB from a person who has had some success, but has never raised to adulthood yet. Honestly, I was not prepared for this first clutch and hope to be better prepared next time. I may try some phyto or rots this time too.

-Prof

Was snapping some pics of my new 5.5gal and grabbed a couple shots of my 40br. Not much happening with this tank right now other than watching things grow in. I did have to treat for a cyano problem so my zoa's are kinda of upset, but everything else is doing well.

100_1319.jpg

100_1320.jpg

100_1321.jpg

-Prof

Prof .... what type of light fixture do you have on your 40?

Thanks

I am using a 36" Current Sundial T-5HO. I have been happy with it so far.

-Prof

Fish & Corals look beautiful.

Thanks Weetie! That Macro you see in the background is starting to take over the tank though. I officially have an infestation now! :o Starting later tonight I am instituting a major Macro war campaign of shock and awe. I have developed a type of agent orange for reef tanks that kills it in about three days. I will be mixing a batch tonight and anything that I cannot remove manually gets nuked!!!

-Prof

Those fish look awesome!

And the montis.... :o :o :o

Thanks MJ. unfortunatly the green montis in the forground have curved upwards so much that all you pretty much see is the undersides :angry: . I guess it's time to frag!

-Prof

Need details on Shock & Awe pls.

I will post details shortly

Fragging is always a good thing. Unless you end up with unintended little bundles of joy. ;)

;)

Awesome tank and very natural looking!

Thanks! :)

Need details on Shock & Awe pls.

Reef Agent Orange:

OK. First let me preface by saying use at your own risk! I have used this in my tank on a area about 6"x6" with no ill effect. I would do small areas over several days vice doing the whole tank at once. If it is possible to remove the rock to a bucket of tank water with a heater for application that would be preferable.

My test on this tank did not show any appreciable change in water chemistry with the exception of a small rise in nitrates. Mine is usually 0 and I got the hint of a reading 2 days after the dosing, presumably from dying algae matter. This was handled with a WC.

The principle is that you are creating a localized negative osmotic reaction that disrupts the cell structure of the algae. The recipe is very close to commercial solutions for killing aipstasia. This is just cheaper (by far), particularly for the quantities needed and the ingredients are things most of us have lying around.

Here is the recipe:

1 oz boiling distilled or RO water

2 tsp kalk powder

1 oz sea salt mix

Mix well until fully blended to a paste-like consistency. Reduce flow in the tank as much as possible. If feasible, shut it off for at least 1 hour. Remove as much macro manually as possible to reduce how much paste you have to use. Use a turkey baster to apply the paste on top of the macro (mine is a sp.of caulerpa). Be generous in the application. WARNING: this will kill corals as well!!!! Coralline may show bleaching! Microfauna in the treated area will vacate quickly. I am sure there is collateral fatalities to pods, bristles and micro stars etc!!! Again, use at your own risk when the potential benefit outweighs the potential adverse side affects.

In my test within three hours I noticed the algae turning pale. This continued even after full flow was established for the next 2 days. By day three the caulerpa in the applied area was totally gone, to include the rhizome.

I have not yet tested on hair algae, although I have a bit in my tank and plan to while eradicating the rest of this caulerpa. I do not know if it will work with bryopsis. I do not know if it will make some species of Caulerpa go sexual, although I think this may be a risk as a reaction to stress.

My test was performed on 2/3/10 and to date no macro has reinfested the applied area. That being said I have only performed one test so I do not know the long term effectiveness.

I will post pics on this thread over the next week as I treat my tank. LMK if you have any questions.

-Prof

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived