SaltCritters.com

Professor's 40 Breeder

Professor

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone!

awesome! low tide is cool.

you got any advice on how to get a RBTA out from behind the rock in the shadows? I have no clue why it's not out in the light.

How long have you had the RBTA? Has it moved a lot since you got it or did it just get out of the light and stay put? How long has it been hiding? IME they usually hide due to light acclimation issues and flow. If it came from a tank with compact fluorescents and then moved under MH, LED or even T-5 it can give it a shock. I stopped along time ago trying to put BTAs where I want them. I usually start them center of the tank right where the rock work meets the sand and let them go where they want from there.

If the rock it is on is one that can be moved I would place the whole thing rock and all down by the sanded with it oriented to the light and go from there. Is this on the 40g? I will wander to your thread and take a peek.

Nice looking tank. You replied to one of my questions earlier and I was curious... What kind of filtration are you using for that? Pls forgive if I missed it while scanning through some of these pages. Thanks.

Nice looking tank. You replied to one of my questions earlier and I was curious... What kind of filtration are you using for that? Pls forgive if I missed it while scanning through some of these pages. Thanks.

Thanks for the compliment!

I have a Gl#######s overflow kit that runs through a sump/refugium and back into the tank through two 3/4" returns. I use a Rena filstar canister filter when I run carbon which is for a about a week out of every month. I don't use a skimmer or any media reactors. It's a real low-tech setup.

The sump I made is roughly based on one theater Yardboy had on one of his tanks. It has one bignrefugium chamber that overflows into the pump chamber. Water comes from the display and dumps into a 6" diameter piece of PVC with holes drilled in the bottom.

-Prof

On the nem, I can't move the rock. It's been there for a while now. I've just given up on it, lol.

That stinks. just let it be. It might roll back into the open on its own.

You think it ads filtration? I mean do u thunk it serves a purpose or just more water?

I am not sure I understand your question :huh: Could you elaborate?

I guess I just wonder, if you take out all filtration sumps and the like, and keep up with weekly water changes - is that sufficient? I just don't know if the little rear chambers with chaeto and LR makes that much of a difference. It probly does. That make sense?

It's just my inexperience. That's why u don't understand me lol. Thanks for answering.

I guess I just wonder, if you take out all filtration sumps and the like, and keep up with weekly water changes - is that sufficient? I just don't know if the little rear chambers with chaeto and LR makes that much of a difference. It probly does. That make sense?

It's just my inexperience. That's why u don't understand me lol. Thanks for answering.

I follow you. I have seen a positive effect from running my refugium. The additional water volume is a plus as well. I find that this hobby, like any other, is as complicated or easy as you make it. I have run tanks with sumps, AIO filtration, HOB filtration, trickle filters, canister filters and even undergravel filters back in the day. They all work to greater or lesser degree. I design my systems now based on what I want to keep vice what equipment I have laying around. I think that is key.

They other advantage to a sump (whether it is a AIO or beneath the tank) is that it also hides equipment. Equipment being visible in the tank is a huge pet peeve of mine.

IRT to live rock that is the heart and soul of your reef tank. It provides the necessary habitat for the organisms that contribute to biological filtration as well as bringing important biodiversity to the tank.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I believe you are the first one to answer that in a way that makes sense. I also agree with the above quote that this is definitely an addiction.

Thanks. I believe you are the first one to answer that in a way that makes sense. I also agree with the above quote that this is definitely an addiction.

My pleasure. Glad I could help. LMK if you have any it her questions.

Ok, if you had a biocube HQI with 3-4 fish some softies, LPS and a couple SPS, what would you do with the rear chambers?

Honestly I would just run some sort of mechanical filter (floss, etc.) and then chemi-pure elite and make sure I had a good amount of LR in the display. If you are diligent with weekly water changes I think you could get by with that alone. That is pretty much how I ran my NC12 and had a pretty good looking tank that was more or less trouble free. You could look into a skimmer to fit in the rear chamber if you are feeling ambitious. HTH.

Ok great. Will do. I do have a small skimmer in CH1, so I'll go w the media rack and use the existing macro for the other side and continue using the mag LED. THANKS. Weekly water changes at 5 gallons, or more?

Ok great. Will do. I do have a small skimmer in CH1, so I'll go w the media rack and use the existing macro for the other side and continue using the mag LED. THANKS. Weekly water changes at 5 gallons, or more?

You have the 29 gal right? If so I would do 3-5 gallons that is temp and salinity matched. Keep the feedings light for the fish and it should be almost worry free.

Do you have a tank thread?

Ok, I'll give it a shot on my new Cadlights 40g Long I'm setting up soon. Now, who to kill for their bones!, I actually have a few in mind, the pelvis will make a nice shelf for frags, good idea!

Killing your enemies is illegal and using their bones in the tank is also illegal, but more importantly...wouldn't that increase your nitrates?

you just have to have the proper filtration in place. sand & a small amount of rock to provide the needed biodiversity. then you can use the tank to depose of them as needed. in fact they may become necessary. but as a bonus it allows you to cut down on the amount of two part need by the tank.

Archived