SaltCritters.com

Nick's 40 Breeder

Nick's Reef

Nick's Reef

Tank Officially Born on 3/21/09 at 3:40pm!

First Full Tank Shot

P1010619.jpg

Full System Shot

P1010617-1.jpg

Here's the Plumbing Setup

P1010614-1.jpg

P1010613-1.jpg

Fillin' Her Up

P1010616-1.jpg

Sand In

P1010615.jpg

To be Continued.......

P1010618.jpg

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nick's Reef
Looking good Nick

^+1

Love the wall.

Thanks guys,

the tank has cleared up alot, but i need to get a custom filter sock from a local reef who makes them that has a drawstring that'll go aroun the pvc pipe since the water is still a bit murky.

Nick's Reef
Nice bro cant wait to see this thing stocked.

Thanks gerber, I can't wait to beable to stock it and see what it looks like aswell!

I bought a 40B the other day from a guy who was getting out. I have no room and I wont be able to set it up for 2 years but Im already in the planning stages lol

Nick's Reef
I bought a 40B the other day from a guy who was getting out. I have no room and I wont be able to set it up for 2 years but Im already in the planning stages lol

ASould look amazng when you set it up!

Looks good, but that loop might become a problem down the road.

Yeah, the loop already makes a toilet flushing sound, going to fix that asap.

Nick's Reef
You gonna transfer anything from your other tanks?

yep, my only other tank (ap24) is going into this and tearing it down. Once it's cyled and the cuc takes care of the algae I'll start putting in zoanthids and rics from the ap24.

Nick's Reef
Sounds good man, its gonna look great. Any ideas on fish?

I keep going back and forth on fish, so far thinking of atleast:

Pair of bangaiis

jawfish or shrimpgoby pair

Single or pair of mandarins

single of pair/harem cherub angels

Royal Gramma

Probably will be all for fish as I don't want to overstock.

looks awesome Nick!

Thanks maria!

Nick's Reef
Honestly Id pass on the royal gramma. A jawfish pair would look so cool. Have you thought about some anthias?

Already have the rg in my ap24 and love her, not going to get rid of her. I was thinking of anthias but don't want to deal with feedin them so often and think they need a bigger tank, might get a sunburstthough as I've had one before and he was an awesome fish.

Oh I do see your gramma in the avatar. Ime they have been really vicious in my tanks so I really dont like them lol. I had a sunburst before they are very cool fish with tons of personality.

Nick's Reef
Oh I do see your gramma in the avatar. Ime they have been really vicious in my tanks so I really dont like them lol. I had a sunburst before they are very cool fish with tons of personality.

Mine doesn't bother anything, but theonly other fish is a starving mandarin that stopped eating frozen. :angry:

Nick's Reef

Well I fixed the loop, I just used vinyl tubing since it's such a short distance from the bulkhead to the sump, now I've got a bunch of microbubbles but I need a filter scok so that should fix that.

Looking AWESOME !!! I'm loving your rock wall now that it's in the tank and under water...can't wait to see it getting stocked.

:D

Nick's Reef
Looking AWESOME !!! I'm loving your rock wall now that it's in the tank and under water...can't wait to see it getting stocked.

:D

Thanks!

Day 2 Water Parameters

Salinity: 35ppt

Alkalinity: 9dkh

pH: 7.8

Ammonia: between 0.25 and 0.50ppm (I can't read the API cards for sh!t)

Nitrates: 0ppm

Nitrites: 0ppm

Calcium: 400ppm

Magnesium: ???? (Need a damn kit after the Tropic Marin one I ordered was defective.) probably spot on as I used NSW.

Might add some pH buffer to bring that up to around 8.4, would just bake some baking soda right now but don't want to raise alk and throw stuff out of whack.

Nick, this tank is looking SOOO good already!

I LOVE the rock wall, you did an awesome job on it.

I'm so glad you were able to drill it and go with a sump as well, and I suspect that down the road you'll be glad you did it too.

Keep up the good work!

Nick's Reef
looks like it's on the right track :D

I am glued to this thread haha

Thanks maria, once this babies cycled I want some of lanis zoos! ;)

Post some new pics now the tank is all good and clear. :)

I have tons of micro bubbles and need a local reefer to make me a filtersock. I can post a pic though.

Nick, this tank is looking SOOO good already!

I LOVE the rock wall, you did an awesome job on it.

I'm so glad you were able to drill it and go with a sump as well, and I suspect that down the road you'll be glad you did it too.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks weetie, I'm already glad I drilled it, the display is empty except for a rio 800 I threw in for more flow and it looks so much nicer than the ap24 with all the korilias. For extra flow probably just getting 2 k4's or 2 modded tunzes, don't need to waste money on a vortech but I'd be nice imo.

Archived