Top Shelf Aquatics

Nick's 40 Breeder

Nick's Reef

Fosi's method sounds pretty damn easy, will have to show him that tomorrow. I got a pm back from thecowkid and he said a tow-sided box is $45 damn acrylc is expensive, I think a 3-sided box at the LFS is $60! :bling:

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing bad about Mr. Fosi's way but a hole saw from glass-holes is only like $10 and to me it was super easy to do.

Thecowkids stuff is top notch, good craftsmanship cost money :)

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nick's Reef

Yeah, but isn't an overflow box just a couple pieces of acrylic glued together with slits cut in the top? I know some are bent but i don't really give a chit if it looks good as long as it hides my drain cause it's just going to get covered up in graet stuff foam and rock. Couldn't I just get some plexiglass from HD and glue it together (my dad has bulit acylic tanks so he knows what to use to get it to stick together) and then drill the tank and plumb it to my sump? I think I have sheets of acrylic that will work, it's not black but it's getting covered up so I don't care. Although they might be too thin.

You need atleast 1/4 acrylic. You'll find that even at Home Depot it costs a lot to buy a sheet of it. Your going to pay at least $25 for the sheet of acrylic and it wont even be black. I personally like the black acrylic because I keep the back of my tanks clean. I also do not stack the back up with rock. I prefer to keep the rock in the middle so that the flow can be made to go around the rocks instead of just one side of the rocks when they are stacked along the back. But yes you can do it for less by doing it yourself. But why not spend an extra $20 to have it professionally made in black?

^^^ Hit all the points. First you need to source black acrylic. You could cut it to size and use a heat gun to heat it and bend it like you need it, then route the teeth in it or use a dremel if you don't want them straight. To me it wasn't worth the trouble. Another way you could do it if your really hurting on cash is to not use an overflow. You could put a bulkhead high on the back and use a 90 and a screen as an overflow. It doesn't look as good but it serves the same purpose.

One of the best ones I've seen was made from a mailbox. Just cut the top off and turn it vertical then cut teeth in the new "top"

Actually though...A trip to Home Depot for a plastic rural type mailbox in Black...Measure and cut it just right so you have the rounded top set on end with the back cut off and then cut off at the top of the tank level...cut some straight slits and silicone the whole thing in...MUCH cheaper than any overflow box and I guarantee if you take a look at one you will be amazed by how good they look...we used to do mailbox overflows in the olden days....

Danm Ty...you beat me to the punch...those can look great...

Nick's Reef

Ty, I never thought about just having the bulk head when infact, the glass-holes kits are just a box covering the bulhead. What kind of screen would I want? I would think reall small mesh windowscreen but then it might costrict flow too much.

Nick's Reef

Well he's not going to drill the tank. He said he'll crak it for sure, whatever. I'll just get it drilled at the LFS I think it's like at most $20 a hole. I wish they were open today so I could call to make sure. I think the bulk head is like $5, then I'd need to get the PVC to plumb it at HD. I should see if I buy the bit if one of the guys in the reef club would drill it for free, I'm sure he wouldn't let me do that.

Nick's Reef
So he really IS going to let a girl show him up then.

I guess so weetie.

I e-mailed they owner or the LFS to see how much a single hole would cost, waiting on a quote, probably will be awhile since he's probably working on his other busssiness, he take fish that people catch and cleans up the skeletons and puts them in displace cases for them. It's really cool. LAst week he took a red drum he caught and put it in a 20h with some drift wood, fake sand and fake plants so it looks like it's swiming on a grass flat, he even took a lure and stuck it in front of the skeleton so it looks like it's eating it. And boy are these things expensive, for him to do just the skull of a med sized fish like a bass or something is around $300! A entire swordfish is around $3500.

Edit: Here's a link to his site: FishSkulls

Nick's Reef
Now THAT is cool....wonder what it would cost for her to do my Firefish.....

Lol Mitch, the dorsal spines on the phin' were probably bigger than ur firefish! As joke do you think Ishould ask her when i go pick up my tank?

As for tank related stuff, ordered the light, I think it was $276.50 shipped or something like that. My dad is now telling me get Rob (owner of LFS) to drill it and get the two-sided overflow. I'm thinking I can get a 10gal for like $8 at walmart and use it as is as a sump no baffles, just to get the skimmer and heater out of the display. I need to get the stand bulit before anything happens though.

Nick, Go with a tall tank for the sump if you can...It will allow for more surge when the pumps are off...a 10 just can't take much overflow water...understand what I'm talking about?

Nick's Reef
Okay, so what did you get for a light again?

The 36" nova extreme pro from petmountain.com. the had a 10% off sale going on it's normally $290. Sale ends tomorrow. Once i get enough money I'm changing out the bulbs to all ATI's.

Mitch, completely understand you, will have to fill the tank when drilled and then start a siphon out of the standpipe and return line and see jsut how much it drains. On my dad's it quickly overlfows his 15gal sump so yeah a 10 will overflow fast. Once i figure out how much it drains then I'll probably chose a tank for a sump. Geez, it seems like after ever post that someone gives me really good advice this projecy just gets more expensive! But I can esaily find a free 20h or 15h on craigslist or in the nespaper classifieds.

Nick's Reef
My sump is a big ole rubbermaid tote...works great, plenty big and tough....

Next trip to walmart=sump purchased, I always thought about using a rubbermaid for a sump but then when I need a sump I forgot! I have some rubbermaids but they're thin and flimsy, would't trust them.

I think mine is like a 19 gallon or something (24 galon maybe???) I have it "drilled" with a bulkhead and everything...only problem is baffles...you will have to rig up something for that...if YOu try to attach them to the walls they will pop free when the water causes the walls to bulge out! I rigged a three sided set of baffles, but need to do a free standing "overflow box" type baffle setup....

Nick's Reef

has thinking of not using any baffels. Probably would be hell with all the mirco bubbles but I think if I put the drain under the water there wouldn't be any. My skimmer has a modded overflow box that you put filterfloss in so it stops the mircobubbles.

Nick's Reef

Well I think I can start deffinativley putting together a final fish list, so far I've decided on:

Harem of Carpenter's Flasher Wrasses

I saw a pic of a harem in the wild and the male was gourgeous, looked just like my Mckosker's I had but with more filaments.

Pair of Dispair Anthias

Wanted Barletts but Dispairs look much prettier imo and sounds like can be in a smaller tank.

Pair of Bangaiis

Royal Gramma

Target Mandain

Pair or single Perarly Jawfish

Was going to go with Yashas again but thought I'd have too much red then plus pealrys are cheaper and live longer. My dad's pearly is very blue since it's from the keys and I just love it. Probably would get a pair from Ken at sealifeinc.

Geometric Pygmy Hawk

Love these guys I had one then he died from ich when I had a bad outbreak, they're small and just sit there like a statue. They also can eat a whole mysis easily so may have to watch tiny shrimps if I get any like sexies but probably won't.

Sounds like a great list Nick! I love Anthias, the only one I have owned is the Geo pygmy and he passed away for unknown reasons..I would love to get a sunburst for my 46 :P

Nick's Reef
Sounds like a great list Nick! I love Anthias, the only one I have owned is the Geo pygmy and he passed away for unknown reasons..I would love to get a sunburst for my 46 :P

Do eeettt! I had one for about 4mo then it got ich. It was the coolest fish ever, tell Rob to get one, he always make sure that they're healthy and eating at the wholesaler since the can be a pain to get to eat. Mine loved hikari marine s pellets and sweetwater zooplankton.

Great to see that your upgrading your tank Nick!

Thanks trey!

edit: Maria forgot to tell you a long time ago but ur avatar scares me, keep that evil little girl away from me, she tried to kill nemo! :scarry:

Both my clowns died too, one disaapeared, the other got in the back and got her head chopped off by the maxijet on the ap24. :tears: That was the one in my avatar, I loved her markings.

Archived