Pod Your Reef

Nick's 40 Breeder

Nick's Reef

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nick's Reef
The stand looks really good.

Thanks, it looks like we'll have to sand it then put on another coat of paint since there's little splinters that are under the paint and it doesn't look as good as it could.

Nick's Reef

well i started planning the foam wall, I have all the eggcrate cut, just need to know how big the overflow box is then I can zipte the piece to cover that on and start attaching the rocks. I'll try to do a sketch of how it's gonna look.

Nick's Reef

Well picked up the tank, and started on the foam wall, I sprayed 2 cans of foam and used maybe 20lbs of rock. Lots of space where the foam is and messed up a bit so need another can to do some touch ups. I'll post some pics when I finsh touching it up.

:welcome: to the club!!! very nice stand! good build!! cant wait to see the tank up n running!!! i am getting a nova pro at the end of the month! im glad to see someone else with it. i dont have it yet and i just know it will be kick arse!!! great job so far!! cant wait for more updates!!!
Nick's Reef
PICHERS NOW PLZ!!! -_-

Jes where are the pix? :P

I'll post pics today i promise! I was able to cut off the excess foam in the back and shove it into the empty spaces while it was still sticky so I don't need another can of foam.

:welcome: to the club!!! very nice stand! good build!! cant wait to see the tank up n running!!! i am getting a nova pro at the end of the month! im glad to see someone else with it. i dont have it yet and i just know it will be kick arse!!! great job so far!! cant wait for more updates!!!

Thanks Jerzsky! The light is awesome. :)

Nick's Reef

Picked up Tank, Foam Wall Ready For Epoxy

Eggcrate Cut and Ready

P1010605.jpg

Here are the Rocks I Used

P1010606.jpg

Staring To Attach Rocks

P1010608.jpg

Here is Just After the Foam Started to Expand

P1010612.jpg

Checking Fit in the tank

P1010616.jpg

All Ready For Epoxy

P1010617.jpg

Doing the foam wall was pretty easy, you have to go slow enough with the foam so that it doesn't cump up and fall off the eggcrate but not to slow where the foam hardens in the nozzle of the can. I haven't put epoxy on the foam yet and am doing that this weekend. I need to repaint the stand and pick up the sump, then once the wall is done the tank is ready for water.

Tank in the back of the Car

P1010613.jpg

Sitting in my Room

P1010614.jpg

For the Foam Wall I Used:

1 Sheet of Eggcrate

2 Cans of Great Stuff Gaps and Cracks Foam (yellow top)

zipties

20lbs of Rock

Drill with bit for drilling concrete

Nick's Reef
Rock wall looks great Nick! Can't wait to see how it turns out when its stocked and covered !

Same here trey! :)

AdriftQuasar

I think this is going to turn out great. I'm going to be doing some tank remodeling at some point and doing a foam rock wall has been an idea I've tossed around in my head.

Nick's Reef
I think this is going to turn out great. I'm going to be doing some tank remodeling at some point and doing a foam rock wall has been an idea I've tossed around in my head.

Thanks, you should deffinatly do a foam wall, once you shape the foam the way you want it it looks just like the side of a reef. I can;t wait to see how it looks ince I put sand over the foam.

Nick's Reef
Looks nice Nick! can't wait to see the finished product :P

Thanks Maria, I have a question though. How long did you let the epoxy cure before adding water to the tank? I'm using the same bondo brand stuff as you since I had some in the garage from when my dad repaired the bottom of our canoe.

damn, your breeders gonna look awesome!! is it hard creating the wal?? i wanna do the same thing with my 90gal...im starting it soon, and was gonna start a post about building one, but hey you did a great job, so fill me in! looks great man!!!

Nick's Reef
damn, your breeders gonna look awesome!! is it hard creating the wal?? i wanna do the same thing with my 90gal...im starting it soon, and was gonna start a post about building one, but hey you did a great job, so fill me in! looks great man!!!

Thanks jerzsky, it's pretty damn easy to do. First cut the eggcrate out to the size of the back of yor tank and have another piece that comse up to the fromt glass. This is to keep the wall in ur tank, the foam is extremely bouyant. Once you get the eggcrate cut just ziptie the rocks to it and spray the foam on, I just went side to side like spray painting. Let the foam sit for a day or so the trim off the excess, the foam doesn't expand much but I was suprised at how much I had to cut off. I used a dremel with a wood carving bit after sitting on the floor with a pocket knife doing that for about an hour and getting no where as it didn't cut close enough to the back of the eggcrate. Once you get it shaped how you want then paint on the expoy, you can use 2 part self hardening epoxy or fiberglass resin. i'm using the later since i already have some. Z-poxy is the perferred epoxy it seems like as is bondo brand fiberglass resin.

Thanks Maria, I have a question though. How long did you let the epoxy cure before adding water to the tank? I'm using the same bondo brand stuff as you since I had some in the garage from when my dad repaired the bottom of our canoe.

Well after the first epoxy mess up :unsure: using the 5 min epoxy, I decided to let it sit for 3 weeks in the sun on my back porch lolz

but I would say 1 week to be on the safe side...also do it outside that stuff stinks :)

Nick's Reef
Well after the first epoxy mess up :unsure: using the 5 min epoxy, I decided to let it sit for 3 weeks in the sun on my back porch lolz

but I would say 1 week to be on the safe side...also do it outside that stuff stinks :)

yeah, it smelled horrible when my dad fixed the canoe so deffinatly doing it outside, will let it sit on the deck out in the sun for awhile.

You should have used a wet finger on that foam when spraying it on,now it looks a bit to much like foam sprayed on.

it does look a bit like foam sprayed on but i don't reallt care. i think it looks pretty good and will look a lot better once I epoxy sand on.

Nick's Reef
Nice work bro... IMO, this tank is going to be sweet!!!

Thanks for pichers... :happy:

You're welcome david, why didn't you use your favorite pic ever this time? You know the one with the guys in front of McDonalds?

now what u do, lay it down put the epoxy on and ligtltly pur sand on the epoxy??

Yeah, using dead sand, need to go and buy some. would use the live I have but might not stick as well plus would be short on LS.

Archived