Cultivated Reef

Codeman's Box o' Reefer Madness

Codeman

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys, I really need some updated photos, things have grown out quite a bit since the last ones.

BlueAbyss, the tank is a standard 25 Gallon, 24" L x 12" W x 20" H. Same footprint as a 20 High, just taller.

Finally got a chance to take a few shots of the tank!

Unfortunately, before the water change so please excuse my filthy sand.

I got a random tunicate for free yesterday, its all brown, looks like a leathery lump except for the two siphon dealies. It's living in my fuge atm.

Aside from that I put in a reefcleaners order today to restock my CUC and I'm getting some mangroves to add to the refugium.

I hope to upgrade my bulbs ASAP and was thinking of getting:

• GE 6500K
  • ATI Aquablue Special
  • ATI Blue Plus
  • UVL Super Actinic

Comments? If I go with this combo, which bulb would pair best with the UVL for my Dawn/Dusk Cycle?

On to the pictures!

DSC02881.jpg

DSC02883.jpg

DSC02882.jpg

Green Acan, please excuse the nasty sand.

DSC02884.jpg

GSP/GBTA/Zoas & Palys

DSC02885.jpg

Mini Zoa Garden

DSC02887.jpg

DSC02888.jpg

My new giant Favia colony!

DSC02891.jpg

DSC02894.jpg

This is my random piece of monti. I was told it was purple digi, but I'm not so sure. It gets great polyp extension and has grown from a flat, quarter sized hunk. I'm hoping for more color once I upgrade my bulbs.

DSC02895.jpg

DSC02896.jpg

My minis.

:D

Tank is looking good. Those acans sure grew over the past 3 months. I really like the minis too.

Thanks!

The acans are growing like mad! Unfortunately the purple one's mother polyp was mostly destroyed when it was up on the frag rack and my pump failed when I wasn't home. It must have been out of water for a good hour. The good news is its 8+ baby polyps are just fine!

Just finished a water change and vacuumed up the nasty out of the sand :lol:

I placed an order with reefcleaners the other day:

• 1Penny Macro Algae
  • 15 Dwarf Cerith Snails
  • 6 Florida Cerith Snails
  • 5 Nerite Snails (Small - Medium)
  • 5 Red Mangroves

I'm hoping for the order to arrive Friday, which would be perfect as I have the day off.

I'm also going to pick up some more Nassarius snails and Blue Leg Hermits soon.

I just noticed that the damaged Acan is recovering very well, its already regrown most of its lost flesh!

Can anyone recommend any critters besides Nassarius snails to keep my sandbed clean and healthy?

• 2 weeks later...

Just got home with a frag of birdsnest and purple monti cap from a local reefer.

The cap is already extending polyps!

Once I get some more super glue ill snap some pictures as I still need to mount the birdsnest.

• 1 month later...

I need to update more.

I took a few pics of the tank and refugium-turned mangrove forest.

DSC02938.jpg

FTS

DSC02936.jpg

Blue Zoas, Ricordeas

DSC02935.jpg

Red Zoas

DSC02934.jpg

Hungry Acans

Refugium:

DSC02929.jpg

Top-Down

DSC02930.jpg

Through the forest

DSC02931.jpg

Tunicate! Anyone have a proper ID for it? it closed up its siphons cuz I was messing around in there.

That's all for now!

did you plumb ur return line in or just put it in from the top?

I didn't drill in the return, I just plumbed it over the top frame of the tank.

Picked up an ORA Green Damicornis today. It has awesome color, I'm excited to see it open up fully.

I also just ordered a couple new T5 Bulbs. 1 UVL Super Actinic and 1 Giesemann Powerchrome Midday and a new bag of chemi pure.

I can't wait to see what a difference it makes when I switch out 2 stock bulbs for these new ones!

DSC02973.jpg

FTS 10/11

DSC02971.jpg

SPS land is growing

DSC02968.jpg

DSC02967.jpg

DSC02978.jpg

New addition - ORA Green Damicornis

DSC02975.jpg

Rics & some Zoas

DSC02976.jpg

Acans, waiting for color to return to the purple Lord.

DSC02977.jpg

Blasto & frag of ORA Elkhorn Monti (Which may need to be relocated as my BTA is closing in on it.)

DSC02974.jpg

Green Toadstool

• 2 months later...
animalmaster6

Hi Cody!

I talked to you an hour ago.

The tank looks absoluetly amazing! When you said it was a mixed reef I didn't know it was this mixed! I want my 125G to be this mixed! I LOVE your acna/favia/blasto garden on your sandbed! I'm thinking for the 125G I'm putting plate corals, acans, favias, and a big frogspawn on the sandbed. Do you think that's a good idea? Anyway, the tank is just really awesome! One of my favs on N-R. :)

Thank you so much for helping me today! I probably would've bought the Peppermint Shrimp if it wasn't for you. I would've been really bummed to see my corals eaten. Also, thanks for helping me out on the lighting and tang questions. It really helped and this can save me some big-time cash! Also, thanks for telling me about how to save my corals! I should be dosing some nitratet remover tonight or tommorrow and I'm doing a water cahnge Friday and hopefull Sunday as well! :)

That waz a really good idea of setting up the Frag Tank! It looks great and I'm going to buy a lot of frags from you guys!

Where do you get all the snails you have? Is it local? My 12 G is running SUPER low on a CUC. Diatoms are everywhere and the glass looks awfuL! I'm saving money for the125G so I am not ordering a bigger CUC online. WOuld you mind telling me where you got them if local? thanks! I even has Red Slime Algae!!!

My CUC includes this

1 Turbo Grazer Snail

1 Tonga Fighting Conch

1 Nassarius Snail

1 Astrea Snail

1 Red LEg Hermit

What else and how much should I get?

Check out my tank-threads! It's in my sig. :)

We've got to trade frags sometime! You have so many good ones! Once I get more frags and my tank is healthy I'll PM you or visit you.

Sorry for the longpost. I hope you don't mind...

Thanks, AM6!

Here's some new pictures, better late than never.

DSC02799.jpg

FTS

DSC02801.jpg

ORA Blue Tenuis

DSC02803.jpg

Tricolor Acro, encrusting quickly!

DSC02805.jpg

ORA Family (Damicornis, Tenuis, Cap & Birdsnest)

DSC02806.jpg

Blue Cloves

DSC02807.jpg

DSC02808.jpg

DSC02810.jpg

Purple Duncan

DSC02811.jpg

ORA Birdsnest

DSC02817.jpg

Purple Digi & friends

DSC02819.jpg

Toadstool just keeps getting bigger.

animalmaster6

Great pics!

The tank is looking great!

The snails and hermits you got me are doing good so far! :) Thanks again for the massive ball of chaeto!

The Blue Legs I think are Yellow Tips. They are grean with a light yellow tip on their leg. I like these much better than Blue Legs!

animalmaster6

Quick Question:

Do you think you will ever get Frogspawn in the Frag Tank? I am kinda appscessed with it. I would LOVE to have some in my 125G!

Quick Question:

Do you think you will ever get Frogspawn in the Frag Tank? I am kinda appscessed with it. I would LOVE to have some in my 125G!

Most likely. I'll try to get some in.

I have hammers that grow out of control, I could cut you a frag if you want.

animalmaster6
Most likely. I'll try to get some in.

I have hammers that grow out of control, I could cut you a frag if you want.

That would be great!

I was thinking of a Frogspawn rock, a Torch rock, and a Hammer rock. I'm putting them on rocks in the middle of the sandbed so they can't sting anything :P

• 2 weeks later...

Archived