SaltCritters.com

Codeman's Box o' Reefer Madness

Codeman

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually if you get the right kind of turbo they only get about golf ball size max, which isn't to massive in a 25 I don't think. I think there from the gulf of mexico.

Tank is awesome bro, i love your rockwork

Hey thanks a lot!

Actually if you get the right kind of turbo they only get about golf ball size max, which isn't to massive in a 25 I don't think. I think there from the gulf of mexico.

I went to the LFS today and picked up 2 Mex. Turbos (roughly quarter sized) and they are TEARING through the GHA I can't reach or get off the rocks :)

I also got 7 more BL Hermits (I don't think 2 of them are, but we'll see what they are soon enough.) to help stir my sand and eat the GHA off rocks.

I picked up a bar of Cycop-Eeze as well and everything loves it! My trumpets still have their feeders out like 3 hours later and they are looking HUGE!

Edit: Almost forgot: I pre-ordered myself a Vortech MP10! It should ship late spring, hopefully by that time I'll have all the money saved up for it since they don't charge you till the item ships. :D

Yea, there preety beastly when they put their minds to it. I'm starting to regret the decision of putting 6 hermits in my tank. Once everything is said and done they just grow and then start bull dozeing frags. One of them is so big he fits nicely in to a big astrea snail shell. I'm really considering takeing them back and just tradeing them in for snails. I never saw one eat any hair algae. The turbos do a great job, unfortunatly I got a small frag of zoas coated in the stuff and they ripped it off of where it was glued in order to eat it. Just food for thought.

FTS?

Yea, there preety beastly when they put their minds to it. I'm starting to regret the decision of putting 6 hermits in my tank. Once everything is said and done they just grow and then start bull dozeing frags. One of them is so big he fits nicely in to a big astrea snail shell. I'm really considering takeing them back and just tradeing them in for snails. I never saw one eat any hair algae. The turbos do a great job, unfortunatly I got a small frag of zoas coated in the stuff and they ripped it off of where it was glued in order to eat it. Just food for thought.

FTS?

I hear ya, that's why I stick with blue legs, they top out at an inch at the very biggest.

Quick one for you, sorry about the actinics.

DSC02703.jpg

Can't wait to get a camera that picks up more than just blue <_<

I think the rock was definitely worth the investment, looks brilliant!

Thanks a lot! I agree, it looks nice and is encrusting with all sorts of red and purple coralline.

Whats up brotha?

the tank is looking really good man.

Thanks a lot buddy!

I wish I could provide better pics because the colors are just freakin' sweet!

Those new spartans prides are very nice, can't wait to see them grow out with the rest of your collection.

Thanks man, I wish I could get their true colors as well, the polyps are huge. Maybe Ill get a pic with them next to a coin. They are way bigger than dimes. You gonna add anything tomorrow?

Thanks man, I wish I could get their true colors as well, the polyps are huge. Maybe Ill get a pic with them next to a coin. They are way bigger than dimes. You gonna add anything tomorrow?

Nah, trying to gear down from spending on the tank for a bit (especially because I pre-ordered the MP10 today :eek: ) and give everything some time to grow out.

I'm just focusing on getting the algae under control for now. I'm saving for the MP10, then my next batch of disposable income after that will probably go towards filling out my zoa/paly garden. :)

Dude the MP 10 is fierce, Im planning on getting one as well. But I keep spending the $$ on the zoa garden.

Sweet setup codeman!

What kind of filtration do you use btw? I'm combating algae at the moment and a HOB refugium is in the works. In time, i hope i can get my tank up to par like ures!

Flow wise, anyone know if I'll still need any of my koralias once I put the MP10 in there?

Sweet setup codeman!

What kind of filtration do you use btw? I'm combating algae at the moment and a HOB refugium is in the works. In time, i hope i can get my tank up to par like ures!

Hey, thanks a lot! Your tank looks great so far!

As for filtration, I drilled the tank and custom built a sump from a 10 Gallon AGA. The tank drains into a filter sock ith filter floss in it, then goes over a bag of chemi pure elite. This first chamber overflows into the second with the protein skimmer, which overflows into the refugium with LR rubble and chaeto, then the water hits a biubble trap on the way to the return pump.

Your tank needs something massive in it, just to throw people off. Like a big toadstool, or large kenya tree. Yea. That'd look sweeeeet.

Your tank needs something massive in it, just to throw people off. Like a big toadstool, or large kenya tree. Yea. That'd look sweeeeet.

I already have the one lil' toadstool, so he just needs to grow. I don't really like any of the branching softies like kenya tree or colt, I don't want to keep having to cut them back all the time. I do want to get a torch or frogspawn or something my clowns might host (non-anemone) to put up high on the left probably.

Anyway, the turbos and blue legs have done an amazing job on the algae, its staying under control now mostly, I reduced feedings to help out as well and it seems to be working. The minis are definitely getting bigger and since I started feeding Cyclop-Eeze a few days ago I've noticed corals stay open larger and keep feeders out long after feeding time is over, this stuff's awesome! I swear some of my corals have grown in just a few days!

The bad news is, I found 2 majanos and an aiptasia has decided to spring up right in the middle of my colony of reverse gorilla nipples. Ugh, there's gonna be some collateral damage when I boil that thing. I got the best pic of it I could, you can see the tentacles coming up between polyps omgomgomg

Here's a few pics, compare them to a couple pages back and see if everything looks bigger!

I was up early the other day, caught the clowns sleeping :wub:

DSC02706.jpg

Dang Aiptasia

DSC02710.jpg

Stupid Majano

DSC02711.jpg

Duncans looking happy

DSC02712.jpg

Rics have gotten huge!

DSC02714.jpg

DSC02715.jpg

Acans

DSC02716.jpg

DSC02717.jpg

Minneh nems

DSC02718.jpg

This ones starting to come out of hiding and look bigger :)

DSC02719.jpg

My trumpets are getting huge and working on splitting!

DSC02725.jpg

FTS

DSC02720.jpg

DSC02721.jpg

Yay

I was jokeing, your whole tank is a showpeince imo. The tank;s looking great. My damn rics need to start growing like that, I might have to invest in some cyclopeeze.

Looking good!

Thanks a lot, buddy!

I was jokeing, your whole tank is a showpeince imo. The tank;s looking great. My damn rics need to start growing like that, I might have to invest in some cyclopeeze.

haha, w/e thanks though!

I say do it. It was like $11 for a big bar of it, great investment, IMO. The fish go nuts, crabs go nuts and coral opens up like I've never seen it before! Rics also love Mysis, Plankton/vitamin enriched if you can find it as its even better for growth and color.

Codeman you tank looks awsome!!! I've just set up my 1st SW tank (24 JBL DX) last week so im still cycling but im going to tag along with ya. looks like you've done quite well so far. keep up the good work!

Codeman you tank looks awsome!!! I've just set up my 1st SW tank (24 JBL DX) last week so im still cycling but im going to tag along with ya. looks like you've done quite well so far. keep up the good work!

Thanks a lot! Feel free to tag along! Gets boring with just me and two others posting in my tank thread :lol:

outstanding rockwork!

Thanks, I seem to have a knack for it (not trying to brag), that's what a lot of people said about my 5.5!

Mysis eh? Sounds like a plan. Cyclopeze and mysis, oh yea. Good plan.

Hell yeah, do it up. Rotate that ish.

M: Cyclops

T: Nah

W: Mysis

Th: Nah

F: Cyclops

S: Nah

Su: Mysis

Hey, admit it...gerber and I make this thread rock. No outsiders!

That sounds like a great schedule. All right, my next immediate purchase will be plenty of both.

Got a bunch of shots during feeding today, some actually turned out decent for a change!

So help me decide which to enter in the photo contest!

Acans up first:

Acan1.jpg

Acan2.jpg

Blastos:

Blasto1.jpg

Blasto2.jpg

Blasto3.jpg

Blasto4.jpg

Blasto5.jpg

Blasto6.jpg

Duncans:

Duncan1.jpg