ReefCleaners.org

Daves Shallow SPS 35g

DaveFason

There is a reefing god! Tank is coming back. We are almost there.

Pictures in the next couple of weeks. :)

-Dave

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 10 months later...

I tried to break this tank down last weekend. I ended up staring, staring and staring until I just could not do it. This is what got me back into the hobby and created Nano Box.

What happened?

• Semi crash. No clue how or what but it struck with a force. Things are back but I lost a TON.
  • Cleaned stuff up. Bryopsis is still there but I am starting to make head way.
  • Pulled out all old corals that died. Like I said, it was a ton :(

The Plan?

• Sell the rimless tank I was going to set up in place.
  • Clean and get this back in shape. Then order a massive frag pack from LG and Joe Knows Reef
  • Update lights
  • Update Tank - Same measurements, just Synergy edition. Then transfer old guys in there.
  • replace sand bed or go BB.
  • Add 5-10 Blue Eyed Cardinals

I am going to snap a few photos tonight. Promised.

-Dave

It is hard to post this, but this is judgement day. Here we have it. The start to the rebuild of the 35g Shallow reef.

Working on the new light now.

FTS : As you can see the survivors and some that were hurt. Things are now stabilized but still a sad, sad day.

14237575111_6a9a8e718b_c.jpg

Leather and Pink Cap are still killing it! Underneath you can see the Setosa still alive. However half died.

14217723966_5b5e4c25ee_c.jpg

-Dave

Sorry dave :( But the good news is you still have alot of life in there that will make a serious rebound once things are stabilized. Im glad your sticking with it.

Do you still have the golden dwarf moray?

Sorry dave :( But the good news is you still have alot of life in there that will make a serious rebound once things are stabilized. Im glad your sticking with it.

Do you still have the golden dwarf moray?

Thanks Eugene. I still have the GDM.

Damn Dave. Didn't even know u had this tank. Hope it rebounds to its former glory!

Alex, yep! Used to be TOTM too. Working on getting it back to glory.

tl;dr buy a rabbitfish :)

Hmm. I wonder if I can find a small one.

jedimasterben

Hmm. I wonder if I can find a small one.

Liveaquaria has them all the time in the 2-4" range, those are perfect for a tank this size. :)

:furious: You crazy! 24" Duo.

T5s for light?

Thanks TJ. I am really looking forward to it.

Will be following the rebuild Dave.

With the thread not being updated for SO long I wanted to show everyone what the entire set up looks like. This is my three tier framed bookshelf I designed. Right now my rock anemone tank is on the second shelf and the 35 on the bottom. I am thinking of turning the 35 into more of a top down tank. The new slim Duo makes this much easier. The rock anemone tank comes on first and creates a cool sunrise effect from the side.

Front : A local artist made the fish suspended from above from trash. They add a really cool feel to the entire set up. I also will be hanging a glass blown angle fish.

14057459297_d30ff780e3_c.jpg

Side : Along with all my cookbooks. :)

14243732454_8a0ca72b1e_c.jpg

Things that will be going on with the tank.

• Two 5g water changes a week for 1-2 months.
  • Acropower dosing ( capful a day )
  • LRS Reef food ( 2 times a day ) + pellets
  • Adding a small group of Blue Eyed Cardinals
  • Adding small light to sump section

On a side note I am heading off to the beach for my wife's 30th birthday along with much needed RR. We picked up a new computer and editing photos is a breeze now. Here is a photo I snapped from our honeymoon in Kauai. Ke'e beach to be exact. Hoping to go back within the year!

14240737431_925bfbe29d_z.jpg

More to come next week!

-Dave

Glad to see this is still going, this was one of the tanks that really got me interested in the hobby and one of the ever shrinking number of TOTM winners still running.

I wonder what the heck happened to cause the crash. This is my great fear with my first tank now over 2 years old. Things go fine, then suddenly everything crashes.

Glad to see this is still going, this was one of the tanks that really got me interested in the hobby and one of the ever shrinking number of TOTM winners still running.

I wonder what the heck happened to cause the crash. This is my great fear with my first tank now over 2 years old. Things go fine, then suddenly everything crashes.

Thanks so much. Honestly it would have been numerous things. Bryopsis, no water changes and not enough flow. I few of the colonies I had to toss were ~ 6-8" in diameter.

What is cool to see now is just how large the clam is. It is ~6-6.5" and started out tiny. The War Coral is now ~8 years old from my first strand and the Duncon is a ORA special from a while back. Not the aussie stuff you see everywhere. It will take a few months but we will have a come back! Maybe I can shape it back to a 2x TOTM :D

-Dave

Archived