Coral Vue Hydros

DHaut's DIY Custom Build! NEW STAND PICS!

Deleted User 6

Atlantis Reef

Looks sweet !!! Makes me want to do another tank since my frag tank is done and wife wants a small tank in the bath room. I will try and get some pics of my stuff soon waiting for new camera battery my took a crap

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 6
Looks sweet !!! Makes me want to do another tank since my frag tank is done and wife wants a small tank in the bath room. I will try and get some pics of my stuff soon waiting for new camera battery my took a crap

Thanks man! DO EET! And I guess the battery taking a crap and the new tank in the bathroom aren't related at all :P

Hey D that tank looks nice. Looking forward to seeing it fill up.

Tracked.

Steve

Thanks Steve! You were def. an inspiration!

Deleted User 6
I think Coryd55 is selling a used AquaC remora. It had a previous owner but he told me it was in good shape. Still following the Thread, Great Stuff B)

Yeah - I'm researching before I drop that kind of money - I need to do some sump measurements when I get home before I can pull the trigger anyways. Thanks though! Thanks for tagging along!

Shrimp / goby- fun to observe but mine build tunnels constantly and rearrange the tank as they see fit. Rocks, frags everything is fair game to them. Be prepared for the occasional few days of sand storm if they decide to redevelop a newly discovered section of tank lol. Nothing left on or near the sand bed is safe from their activities. Also seems they do get bored and will change the entrance for a different veiw from time to time. This was rather annoying to me at first, but they are pretty cool to watch. :D

Tunze 9002- needs a constant level to perform its best IME, but a good skimmer if given this.

RemoraC. I am a big fan of this skimmer as well. A no fuss skimmer, pretty quiet and a solid performer. I found if it does stop skimming it simply needs a cleaning after which it pulls funk for another couple months.

HTH

Deleted User 6

New tubing came in today - it's so quiet! Here's a pic (note the wires hanging everywhere that will not be so close to the water when I move the stand back to where it's going to be - also, the ballast for my current light won't be mounted directly under my tank either):

post-35397-1235651235_thumb.jpg

Congrats on the noise reduction!

Tunze 9002- needs a constant level to perform its best IME, but a good skimmer if given this.

True, I definitely like mine, but I've never had an aqua c.

Deleted User 6
I'm glad to see it.

is that heater on the wall functional? It may cause some heating troubles.

How is the temp in the tank with that MH any way?

Heater is functional but it doesn't really heat up much. Not sure about temp with the MH - I'm upgrading to 150w and adding some fans soon, so I'll adjust from there.

Deleted User 6
Sounds good.

What made you decide to upgrade the lights already?

How is the cycle going?

Bulb selection for 150w is just so much better. Plus, the tank will be primarily SPS and a clam so I don't have to worry much about bleaching softies.

Cycle was in full swing last I checked - once I let both tanks run together (they've been disconnected due to the plumbing issue) for a day or two I'll test again. I'm hoping it'll be wrapping up in the next week or so.

Good work on the noise reduction D!

Be careful with that ballast. It looks like a fire waiting to happen. Use caps on those splices and electrical tape them or heat shrink them from the top of the cap to about 2" down the wires then bend them into a circle facing the cap up and creating a drip loop below.

If you can mount the ballast and surge protector under the top I think you would be pretty safe. The only reason I bring this up is cause on Monday the other nano tank guy in my office had an incident. He was floating two bags with new livestock and the bag rested against one of the pump cords coming out of the tank and created a siphon. That water siphoned straight to the power strip as he didn't have any drip loops. He went to a meeting and left stuff and an hour later a 1/2 gallon of water made its way to the power strip and was sizzling and smoking. I'd hate to think what would have happened had that caught on fire but I'm thinking we might not be able to have tanks at the office if it did. I've since gone around to check all the little office tanks and added GFCI and corrected any strips that didn't have drip loops.

Steve

Deleted User 6
Good work on the noise reduction D!

Be careful with that ballast. It looks like a fire waiting to happen. Use caps on those splices and electrical tape them or heat shrink them from the top of the cap to about 2" down the wires then bend them into a circle facing the cap up and creating a drip loop below.

If you can mount the ballast and surge protector under the top I think you would be pretty safe. The only reason I bring this up is cause on Monday the other nano tank guy in my office had an incident. He was floating two bags with new livestock and the bag rested against one of the pump cords coming out of the tank and created a siphon. That water siphoned straight to the power strip as he didn't have any drip loops. He went to a meeting and left stuff and an hour later a 1/2 gallon of water made its way to the power strip and was sizzling and smoking. I'd hate to think what would have happened had that caught on fire but I'm thinking we might not be able to have tanks at the office if it did. I've since gone around to check all the little office tanks and added GFCI and corrected any strips that didn't have drip loops.

Steve

Thanks - yeah, that whole set up is being changed. They do have caps on them and I'm getting some elec. tape shortly. There's been no water running between the two tanks since the ballast has been on there like that, so no chance of a siphon or spill, but I'll be fixing it today or tomorrow when I hook the plumbing back up for good (still working on a couple small things). Good eye though.

Deleted User 6

Everything's up and running! Woo!

No ammonia and just a tiny bit of nitrites. I'm getting my AquaC Remora soon, and once that's up and running and nitrites go away, time to start looking at ROCK to soft cycle!

Deleted User 6

I think I'm going to focus on symbiotic relationships with this tank. Out of all things in this hobby, those relationships probably fascinate me the most. So, I'll try a goby/shrimp pair and some sexy shrimp and see if I can get them to host some rics or maybe just get a mini carpet anem. Also, if I can find a very small porite rock w/ christmas tree worms, I'll add that too.

Any other I should consider?

Avon Barksdale

Nice DIY Dhaut..... Just read your thread and Everything looks nice!!!

As far as the AquaC goes it skims well for me!!! But it can be a lil on the noisy side but I kind of just tuned it out.. ;)

Deleted User 6
Nice DIY Dhaut..... Just read your thread and Everything looks nice!!!

As far as the AquaC goes it skims well for me!!! But it can be a lil on the noisy side but I kind of just tuned it out.. ;)

Thanks! Yeah - I'll have to see just how noisy it is. Keeping this tank quiet is a high priority.

I think I'm going to focus on symbiotic relationships with this tank. Out of all things in this hobby, those relationships probably fascinate me the most. So, I'll try a goby/shrimp pair and some sexy shrimp and see if I can get them to host some rics or maybe just get a mini carpet anem. Also, if I can find a very small porite rock w/ christmas tree worms, I'll add that too.

Any other I should consider?

I have been wanting to do the goby/shrimp thing but i have some sexys in my tank already and have was concerned about the pistol shrimp killing them. I haven't read of this happening but i haven't read of this NOT happening either. If you find any thing on it let me know.

I know pistole shrimp make "clicking noises" I have never seen one so i don't know how laud they are but if noise is a concern...

Deleted User 6

Got the AquaC up and running. Put some paper towel over the intake chamber and it's silent. Microbubbles and some wet foam - gotta let it break in.

In other news, my Mighty Mite has given me some issues - I think my tap has some particles or something that's clogging it. I'm waiting on a new filter to get here so that I can get some rodi water for top offs and a wc after the cycle. I've got a quote in on some rock/sand from sealifeinc. Looks like he'll be back around the 9th or so.

I have been wanting to do the goby/shrimp thing but i have some sexys in my tank already and have was concerned about the pistol shrimp killing them. I haven't read of this happening but i haven't read of this NOT happening either. If you find any thing on it let me know.

I know pistole shrimp make "clicking noises" I have never seen one so i don't know how laud they are but if noise is a concern...

Yeah - it'll be a small pistol and I'll buy it paired with a goby. So I don't really expect it to be attacking much - but good thought. I'll look into it a bit.

Clicking noises usually happen when it feels threatened - I don't think it will. It'll be one of the biggest things in the tank - one of the only things really.

Archived