ReefCleaners.org

DHaut's DIY Custom Build! NEW STAND PICS!

Deleted User 6

Deleted User 6

After an 8-month break from reefing (moved to Brooklyn), here is my new glass DIY Build!

Not much to show now except the glass:

The three viewing walls are starfire (low-iron) glass. Difference between regular (right) and starfire (left) glass:

post-35397-1232756540_thumb.jpg

Glass pieces (1/4"):

Base = 12"x13"

Front/Back wall = 12"x14"

Sides = 12.5"x14"

Volume is about 8.9 gallons.

post-35397-1232756298_thumb.jpg

And the assembled tank (it now gets to sit there for 24 hours):

post-35397-1232756406_thumb.jpg

Future plans are a foam/rock back wall, AC70 Fuge mod, 70w MH retro in a custom hood with custom stand to match, and some water and sand and stuff.

More to come.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 6
nice call with going sapphire. looks good, you didnt want to drill it?

Nah - I'm on a pretty strict budget with this one and I can just use my AC70 as a filter/fuge without having to drill and build/buy anything else.

Edit: Looking into it - see below.

Deleted User 6

So, I have the tank assembled and my original plan (as seen above) was to go with an AC70 fuge mod. However, I'm open to drilling with a fuge if it makes a massive difference in the long-run. How much would it cost to do so and would it really make a big enough difference on my small tank to be worth it?

Deleted User 6

Nevermind on the drilling - I just can't put up the money right now. So, AC70 mod it is!

Also, I'm water-testing - no leaks so far.

Deleted User 6

Water test in the tub - Brooklyn Style! B)

Why? Because if I go outside:

1. The tank will be in the street

2. It won't be there in the morning

3. The water will freeze, which won't matter because of 2.

post-35397-1232856563_thumb.jpg

No leaks - let's hope it doesn't explode overnight!

Deleted User 6

So the tank is ready to go! No leaks, all cleaned up :)

Next up is the stand. I'll be working on it the next couple nights after work and should have pics up soon.

Deleted User 6
looking good, nice build, where did you get the glass from?

A place called Crystal Glass in Brooklyn - very nice guys. Had it cut for me in day.

beeeeeeutiful. very close to my tank dimensions & I also have a foam back wall. but i have a sump. :P one of these days i need to get around to making a tank thread...

Deleted User 6
beeeeeeutiful. very close to my tank dimensions & I also have a foam back wall. but i have a sump. :P one of these days i need to get around to making a tank thread...

You should go ahead and do it! I'd love to see what you've made. Never know where I might get some inspiration :)

Deleted User 6

Custom overflow is done - I think it cost me like $8 total to pull off. Had to drill holes in the tubing because the AC70 is too powerful without it.

post-35397-1233272242_thumb.jpg

With all my tools and the sponge of doom:

post-35397-1233272278_thumb.jpg

Deleted User 6

Eggcrate is cut! I'm going with a rock wall back and a "lagoon" type feature in the middle. I plan to have the sand bed in the lagoon be a couple inches deeper than around it to add visual layers. I'd like to have a clam in the lagoon one day. Since I'm waiting on a powerhead to put behind the left section of the wall, I can't put the rock/foam on yet. Still more waiting...

FTS

post-35397-1233281776_thumb.jpg

Top Shot

post-35397-1233281766_thumb.jpg

FTS with stand (still unfinished)

post-35397-1233281784_thumb.jpg

Archived