SaltCritters.com

DHaut's DIY Custom Build! NEW STAND PICS!

Deleted User 6

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 6
I can't wait to see what you do to it over the weekend. I'm off to go snowboarding, enjoy yours.

unfortunately, nothing else is going down until I get the tubing from aquacave to fix the plumbing.

I posted a while ago that our tanks were similar but mine with a sump. Similar dimensions, rock wall and I see you saw the error of your ways with the sump. Unfortunately I hadn't checked back w/you in a while and wow, we have had similar issues/concerns setting up our tanks.

I do have an external durso of the style neanderthalman posted, so that is different. But I too had "slurping" noises and found that the slurp came because not enough air was getting into the pipe. I am not a plumbing genius but the way I thought about it was that because there wasn't enough air coming in from the airline tubing in the top, air had to be sucked in through the hole in the bulkhead. *sluuurp* I drilled another small hole in the top of my standpipe and no more sucking.

I also have noisy rigid pvc running down from the display to the sump. I did some reading and I think one thing I should have done is use 1" pvc instead of 3/4". I am going for a low-flow seahorse tank so I didn't think I'd need the 1" but from what I understand it might have made a difference. I think it is just too much water for the diameter. So I switched from a Mag 5 to a 350gph pump and the water noise from the pipes was reduced dramatically. I also bought some pipe insulators for the pvc and they've helped a lot too. My previous tanks were all virtually silent (no sump) so the remaining noise has taken a while to get used to, but I think it might be very hard to plumb to a sump without some noise.

I had a big ol' ugly PH in my display until I had my sump hooked up too. :)

Sounds like you have the MH worked out, so it's just the plumbing noise. Good luck! I'll try to check back more often...

Deleted User 6
I posted a while ago that our tanks were similar but mine with a sump. Similar dimensions, rock wall and I see you saw the error of your ways with the sump. Unfortunately I hadn't checked back w/you in a while and wow, we have had similar issues/concerns setting up our tanks.

I do have an external durso of the style neanderthalman posted, so that is different. But I too had "slurping" noises and found that the slurp came because not enough air was getting into the pipe. I am not a plumbing genius but the way I thought about it was that because there wasn't enough air coming in from the airline tubing in the top, air had to be sucked in through the hole in the bulkhead. *sluuurp* I drilled another small hole in the top of my standpipe and no more sucking.

I also have noisy rigid pvc running down from the display to the sump. I did some reading and I think one thing I should have done is use 1" pvc instead of 3/4". I am going for a low-flow seahorse tank so I didn't think I'd need the 1" but from what I understand it might have made a difference. I think it is just too much water for the diameter. So I switched from a Mag 5 to a 350gph pump and the water noise from the pipes was reduced dramatically. I also bought some pipe insulators for the pvc and they've helped a lot too. My previous tanks were all virtually silent (no sump) so the remaining noise has taken a while to get used to, but I think it might be very hard to plumb to a sump without some noise.

I had a big ol' ugly PH in my display until I had my sump hooked up too. :)

Sounds like you have the MH worked out, so it's just the plumbing noise. Good luck! I'll try to check back more often...

Yeah I tried everything with that rigid PVC. It was the connectors that caused the noise - the elbows especially. I think the barb and vinyl tubing is going to work wonders (hoping). I do want decent flow through the sump. The tank will be handled by a kor nano or two.

Thanks for checking in! I'm off to check out your tank thread.

Edit: Or not, since you don't have a thread -_-

yeah. or not. :) i always mean to, but i can't seem to get off my butt to get my pics together & all that jazz. i may just forget the build thread & post a current FTS some time. maybe next week...

Deleted User 6

Figured I'd post some params since nothing else is going on. Also, once the plumbing is finished and everything is running as it should, I'll be starting a new tank thread fresh and keeping the build thread in my sig for whoever is interested in these early stages.

Water:

PH: 8.2

Sal: 1.026

Alk: 8

Amm: .5

Nitrite: .25

Nitrate: 10

Calc: 340

Phos: 0

I'm using D-D H2Ocean salt so I'm not sure why the calc is so low. I don't have a mag test kit yet (also, my other test kits are coming up on a year old so I'll probably have to replace them soon). I've been using API - anyone know of a better kit for comparable price?

Deleted User 6

Question: I've been thinking about stocking. It's a small tank (9 gallons) with probably 7 gallons of fuge water. What fish options do I have? The things I've considered are a mated neon goby pair, or a goby/shrimp pair (I'd have to bulk up my sand bed). I could go with another small goby, but I'd like to have two of something that is paired together. What do peeps think?

Deleted User 6
I think the goby/shrimp would be the preferred and probably more fun to watch.

Yeah, that's what I'd really like to have, but I don't know if I have the sand bed for them - how deep do the need?

I think if its a question of weather or not its is deep enough its not deep enough...

did you decide to get with a DSB in the sump? If you add more sand to the display and have leftovers you could put it in the DSB

Deleted User 6
I think if its a question of weather or not its is deep enough its not deep enough...

did you decide to get with a DSB in the sump? If you add more sand to the display and have leftovers you could put it in the DSB

Yeah, I know it's currently not deep enough - as far as inches go, what is recommended for a goby/shrimp? I can supplement easily.

Deleted User 6
Do you have any pics of your sump setup?

Not yet - I had to pull all the plumbing out. Once I get that fixed (should be tomorrow) I'll post finished pics of the whole thing.

Deleted User 6

I'm thinking a Tunze 9002 for the fuge - I need to measure the water level though to make sure it's high enough. That's something I think I screwed up on - the water level in the fuge. It's kinda low. I might drain the area behind the first baffle (where the pump is), dry it out, and add another taller baffle to increase water height in the fuge area. This is what happens when you discover holes in your planning once the project is underway.

Tunze 9002 for the skimmer?

after looking at your sump i dont think adding an extrap baffle would help. if yo do that then the water would no longer flow throw the bubble trap.

where would you place the Tunze 9002?

Deleted User 6

It's an in-tank, right? Where does it pull water in? I was thinking it could go in the actual fuge. The bubble trap is actually broken right now anyways so it'll have to be fixed while I fix the first baffle.

If the 9002 doesn't work, what would be good? I need a skimmer for sure.

If the first baffle is broke yo could just replace that one with a taller one and not add the have the third.

mine has the third baffle and i'm thinking about taking it out. You really cant get down there to clean.

Deleted User 6
If the first baffle is broke yo could just replace that one with a taller one and not add the have the third.

mine has the third baffle and i'm thinking about taking it out. You really cant get down there to clean.

True - I was actually going to take the first one out once I get the new one in right behind it.

Archived