inTank Media Baskets

DHaut's DIY Custom Build! NEW STAND PICS!

Deleted User 6

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I figured it would have been. I was realy confused when you were asking for help on that one. I guess better safe then sorry when playing with that much power around water too no less.

Deleted User 6
so is it cycling or what..... if its cycling is there any good hitch hikers?

Cycling - I have one piece of liverock in there for the starter bacteria culture and it has a small feather duster. Nothing interesting.

I'm going to buy some sealife inc. rock once the sand bed/rock wall are populated with bacteria. That should give me some good stuff.

And thanks Fosi - it's no big deal. The tank is still in one piece.

Anyone ever bought from AquaCave? I'm thinking about getting a pvc barb and some vinyl tubing from them for my drain. I can't find any around here.

Deleted User 6
yea im gessing the plumbing is gona be hard. im going to school to be a plumber. but it still seems hard.

We'll see how it works out for me. I can just think of the trickling sound as white noise if it comes to it, I guess. Beats car horns.

I think the main reason i love this hobby is because large mixture of talents on need to succeed. ex. pluming, wiring, carpentry, chemistry, meditation... If at any point one awants to hone any of these skills there is always another project they can do. Also of course another thing is that necessity breeds innovation and if we don't have the knowledge on how to do something we will still find a way to do it thous teaching us to overcome any opstical.

Deleted User 6
I think the main reason i love this hobby is because large mixture of talents on need to succeed. ex. pluming, wiring, carpentry, chemistry, meditation... If at any point one awants to hone any of these skills there is always another project they can do. Also of course another thing is that necessity breeds innovation and if we don't have the knowledge on how to do something we will still find a way to do it.

Right on. Makes me wish I had taken a couple shop classes in high school.

I took shop in HS I don't think it shows. Have you looked at my build yet? I don't know if it looks as good as yours. It might have been that i already had the system up while I was building it.

Right on. Makes me wish I had taken a couple shop classes in high school.

I've been following what you're doing here cause I'm working on my own very first Plumbing/DIY type project and I am SOOO clueless! :scarry:

I'm lucky cause I've had some good ppl to advise me- neanderthalman, dshnarw, dtfleming, Fosi, NRF.

I love the way NR can be such a good resource for this kind of thing, there's always someone on here who has the knowledge and skills you need and is willing to share it.

I've been seeing some pretty cool and innovative DIY stuff on here lately too.

You've come up with some good ideas of your own!

I hope this project works out for you the way you have envisioned it in your head, if not better. It has lots of potential.

Deleted User 6
I've been following what you're doing here cause I'm working on my own very first Plumbing/DIY type project and I am SOOO clueless! :scarry:

I'm lucky cause I've had some good ppl to advise me- neanderthalman, dshnarw, dtfleming, Fosi, NRF.

I love the way NR can be such a good resource for this kind of thing, there's always someone on here who has the knowledge and skills you need and is willing to share it.

I've been seeing some pretty cool and innovative DIY stuff on here lately too.

You've come up with some good ideas of your own!

I hope this project works out for you the way you have envisioned it in your head, if not better. It has lots of potential.

Thanks Weetie! +1 to the smart people on here - great community. I hooked up the light last night and sat back and looked at everything, even in it's screwed up stage, and had a moment of pride that I could pull something like this off. Good luck on your project! And thanks again to all you who are helping me out!

Thanks Weetie! +1 to the smart people on here - great community. I hooked up the light last night and sat back and looked at everything, even in it's screwed up stage, and had a moment of pride that I could pull something like this off. Good luck on your project! And thanks again to all you who are helping me out!

It's a good feeling, innit?

Hopefully I get to experience that same glow of pride before long.

Deleted User 6

Finished the light last night. I'll post pics later on. Also ordered a 1" barb and some 1" vinyl hose so hopefully that'll fix the noise issue with the drain. It helps to wait out the cycle if you're whole system is broken anyways - that way you're waiting to fix the system and when you're done, you're cycle's already on its way.

Question: How long should I let my tank mature before I think about adding SPS? I was going to give the clam about 8-10 months.

Question: How long should I let my tank mature before I think about adding SPS? I was going to give the clam about 8-10 months.

I was told to wait till you have nickel sized coralline growth on the back wall, but that realy doesnt work for you does it? :P

Deleted User 6
Mine is 8 months old and I am just starting to add some softies.

Hard core. If I don't get some color in there within 2 months my wife will put the whole thing on the street. I figure a ric or two and we're good.

I was told to wait till you have nickel sized coralline growth on the back wall, but that realy doesnt work for you does it? :P

Ha - true. I can't wait till that whole rock wall is coralline. I need to find some diff. colors of it - def. some teal.

My wife knows that getting rid of my tank isn't a choice she can make. She can suggest. cajole, badger but not order. ;)

Seriously though, I probably could have started moving stuff in 3 months ago but I was busy, didn't have the $$ and was paranoid about killing stuff.

I jumped the gun too early in the life of this tank and killed a couple quality frags, almost killed by fist-sized brain and a few other things.

Deleted User 6
My wife knows that getting rid of my tank isn't a choice she can make. She can suggest. cajole, badger but not order. ;)

Seriously though, I probably could have started moving stuff in 3 months ago but I was busy, didn't have the $$ and was paranoid about killing stuff.

I jumped the gun too early in the life of this tank and killed a couple quality frags, almost killed by fist-sized brain and a few other things.

Read my old biocube thread - I was a noob and threw a whole bunch of stuff in there at like 1 month. Nothing died, thankfully, but it was stupid.

Nothing quality is going in this one for a long time - and since it's going to be primarily SPS there won't be much going in it for 6-8 months anyways.

I have purchased from Aquacave a couple times. Pretty good service, tho I was a bit perturbed over the fact that they took my order ( and $$ ) for T5 bulbs they did not have in stock, sent out what they did have along with a note saying the other items were out of stock :huh: . I would have preferred to know this up front so I could choose another vendor if I wished to get my items faster.

In the end the arrived drop shipped direct a couple days later.

Other than that I was pleased with the prices and the packaging / shipping on other orders.

HTH

Deleted User 6

Canopy and light (don't mind the mj1200 - it's going away when I get my plumbing fixed):

post-35397-1235170337_thumb.jpg

Also, can someone ID this? Spaghetti worm? It's not a micro star - it's coming out of a tube. I checked the ID thread:

post-35397-1235170371_thumb.jpg

Archived