Top Shelf Aquatics

The Biocube Resource Guide

uwwmatt

What is the actual volume of a Biocube 29? I've seen 23 and 26 gallons posted. The tank dimensions for the HQI are 20x21x18.5 inches which gives a total volume of 33.64 gallons. Some of that volume is lost because of the curving glass, but that seems like the actual total should be closer to 29 than 26 gallons. I always thought that it was 26 gallons in the display and 3 gallons in the sump in the back.

I ask, because I am removing the sump wall in the back of the tank to maximize the display volume, since I will be adding a 25 gallon sump in the stand below. The volume in that sump will be about 21 gallons, so if the Biocube is actually 29 gallons, then the whole system will be a nice and tidy 50 gallons!

It will also vary by how much rock and sand you use.Other things like equipment will also displace an amount of water depending of the size of it.Your sump will not be totally full of water so the empty area in there will also be less water.

Phiberopttic

I did 26lbs rock and 30lbs sand, and my water volume is 15g. I was shocked at how much water was displaced by the rock and sand.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are a few pics of my 29 HQI converted to Rapid LED. I used the 24 LED premium kit and a 6x10 heatsink. I used 10 Royal Blue, 8 Cool White, 4 UV Violet, 1 Green, and 1 Red. There is also a blue stunner attached to the back as a moonlight. Color is fantastic, heat is greatly reduced. Best of all, none of the annoying electrical noise and problems I was having with the HQI fixture. This setup at 40% brightness is as bright, if not brighter than the Phoenix 14K bulb I was using.

post-25114-0-55334000-1371818362_thumb.jpg

post-25114-0-04324200-1371818760_thumb.jpg

Please help. If i were to get the intank media basket complete kit for my biocube 29, would it be a good idea bc if i do it that way my refugium is cut in half? I was thinking just puting the media on the drip tray of the second chamber and on the bottom of that use it completely for refugium. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Please help. If i were to get the intank media basket complete kit for my biocube 29, would it be a good idea bc if i do it that way my refugium is cut in half? I was thinking just puting the media on the drip tray of the second chamber and on the bottom of that use it completely for refugium. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Its really personal preference. Find the balance of biological/chemical/mechanical filtration that works for our tank.

Rollermonkey

What is the actual volume of a Biocube 29? I've seen 23 and 26 gallons posted. The tank dimensions for the HQI are 20x21x18.5 inches which gives a total volume of 33.64 gallons. Some of that volume is lost because of the curving glass, but that seems like the actual total should be closer to 29 than 26 gallons. I always thought that it was 26 gallons in the display and 3 gallons in the sump in the back.

I ask, because I am removing the sump wall in the back of the tank to maximize the display volume, since I will be adding a 25 gallon sump in the stand below. The volume in that sump will be about 21 gallons, so if the Biocube is actually 29 gallons, then the whole system will be a nice and tidy 50 gallons!

The book that comes with a new one states total volume is 26 gallons. When you start adding rock and sand and whatnot, you typically end up around 23-25 gallons. When my tank was empty, it took a little more than 5 5-gallon buckets to fill it, so that part is certainly accurate. When I refilled with SW, it was a bit less than 5 buckets, but I didn't measure exactly how much of the fifth bucket I didn't use. I wish I had.

• 1 month later...

hello m new in this hobby i have a biocube 29 from oceanic and i having a serious issue with the temp they go up to 80 even with the white light off i already made a fan upgrade but doesnt work i have in the tank

stock pump
TAAM Seio Prop Super Flow Pump 320gph
Oceanic Bio Cube Protein Skimmer
titanium heater

hello m new in this hobby i have a biocube 29 from oceanic and i having a serious issue with the temp they go up to 80 even with the white light off i already made a fan upgrade but doesnt work i have in the tank

stock pump

TAAM Seio Prop Super Flow Pump 320gph

Oceanic Bio Cube Protein Skimmer

titanium heater

If 80 is your max temp you're probably okay. Assuming your not having wild swings from 75-80 throughout the day. What is the ambient room temperature?

If you have money you could consider replacing your light with LEDs they produce less heat. You could also look into chillers.

Or prop the lid open and have a fan blowing across the water.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

I just joined the forum but have been following it for about almost a year now. Ive had a rusty angel in the tank for about 3-4 months (i know he was in a too small of a tank but he needed a home from a breakdown of my sisters tank) Yesterday i added a evo 550 a notice him breathing hard, adn eventually died last night. Any reasons adding a power head would do so. I plan i checking chem test tonight but they have been good for quite some time. Also seems how he is now gone i plan on restocking my tank. I all have in there now is two frogspawns and a kenya tree. What do you guys think of adding a flam angel, 2 snowflak clow, and a watchman. Obviously not all together at the same time. Any thoughts would be nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! Love this thread! I got a couple questions. I bought a biocube 14 of off my brother that was currently operating but the tank looked terrible. I cleaned it up, tested the water and surprisingly everything was good! :) I currently have one clownfish, one peppermint shrimp, and various snails. My actinic lighting is broken and I think I'm going to get an acan 18" 300-18b. I have been saving up my money and I have around 600$. What should I do with my biocube to get it into a beatifil nano reef!! Thanks! ~Blake

• 2 weeks later...
icedearth15324

So I just acquired a used 29 gallon biocube off craigslist for $50. Glass looks perfect, just needs a good cleaning. Only issue though is it came with nothing except the stand, canopy/lights. I need a new pump, tubing, and pretty much everything else.

What pump is recommended for this. And where can I find the tubing I would need.

Pump, rio6hf or a mj900/1200, depends what you want. Mp10 for display or a few hydor425's. Check out In tanks website, they have almost everything you would need. It's all about what your budget is and what you want to do. Hope this helps a Lil

Usually a LFS would have some, but I would check out Bulkreefsupply, they have a bunch of plumbing. But If I were you i wouldnt put an elbow on, its only going to restrict the flow. Just put the tubing right on the bulkhead and tie it down with a zip tie.

• 3 weeks later...

Just scored a cheap Oceanic Biocube 29 off of a member in the local reef club. I'm thinking the InTank 3 piece kit but was wondering if anyone has a preference over the RapidLed's kit or Steve'sled kit. I'm leaning towards Steve's because it's an almost completely put together kit. Also are most people running the Tunze 9002 skimmer or is there another one that can fit in the back that works well?

Going to be setting up my BC8 soon and was looking for some suggestions. I have an Azoo CH100 chiller kicking around and want to use it on the tank. Was thinking of using a MJ1200 externally as the pump. The water would be pulled from the 1st chamber and returned to the 3rd. The question I have is should I just plumb the return straight into the return nozzle in the false wall? Or run the return pump normally and the chiller return dump into the 3rd chamber? Not too keen on the latter because would prolly have to even the pumps out so there is no overflow prob and flow isn't a big concern since I plan on making it a dwarf horse tank. Appreciate the help.

So was thinking of buying the Aquaticlife 115 protein skimmer from InTank with the Oceanic Biocube kit. Anyone have any good or bad things to say about the skimmer? I like the fact that it can fit in the first chamber on the back and still use the two baskets from InTank.