inTank Media Baskets

The Biocube Resource Guide

uwwmatt

SerenityReef
Great post with all the details ... Is this the Coralife Oceanic ? 14 Gallon. I have been looking around the stores in Alpharetta (ATL) but no one seems to carry the 14 G size but I did see the 29 for $450.00 !

Albert

Albert,

This is for the BioCube 14 by Oceanic, Kat had one and I just started one, only difference i know of is they added a few verticle vents into chamber 2.

I moved in Dec but there were a few 14g at the FS in Dulth off of Pleasant Hill and 85. I've been ripping mine apart and rebuilding for weeks so if I can help with anything let me know.

Firstly my first post here, but been a lurker for a while...anyways, hello people.

Just a heads up for Biocube fans, my wife bought me a 29 gal Biocube from the local Petsmart last week, for $150!!! Apparently, they will no longer carry them, so I assume that the local stores are trying to clear them out at a reduced price. They are the old type Biocubes, without the new LED bars, but do have the extended filter wall (to stop jumping fish), and a refugium window.

Just a heads up ;)

Anyeways, watch out for a new Biocube build thread from me soon....and less lurking.

Ok, so I finally took out my stock return pump and replaced it with mj900 that I had laying around. Not seeing much difference. Should I put in my old mj1200? (I use a hydor deflector)

I took the commendation from the mod review from the links on page 1 but maybe the stock evolved over the years? The mod page said u a koralia 1, those aren't around anymore, I use a nano 425. Looks to have the same GPh.

But I am still not excited...feel like I still have some dead spots...

Anyone's thoughts?

Hello, I just purchased a BC29 off a buddy and got it set up lastnight. i was researching on this thread which has been very resourceful just got a couple questions.. on the side where the pump is should i ignore the max and min line on the outside cuz when i filled my tank up it passed the max line. 2nd should i take the bioballs out even tho my fuge and media rack arent here from my order or should i wait to get it. ty

Ignore min/max line

live rock is your biofilter. remove bioballs handful at a time every 3-4 days until they are gone.

• 2 weeks later...

I've gone through this whole guide and unless I missed it. I can't seem to find a good DIY for led lighting install. I would like to make one like the rapid led kit but I've been buying everything little by little. After putting everything together it seemed cheaper this way. Does anyone know of a good guide on how to install. All this good stuff into my bc14. I bought everything needed to make it an led tank. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a question about the foam block between chambers 2 and 3. Ran a couple searches on this large thread and didn't see an answer for it. Keep in mind, I'm new to saltwater tanks, so this may be a silly question.

I have a Biocube 29 currently cycling. Have had the lighting rebuilt with LED lighting by Nano-Box-Reef, done the tab removal between chambers 1 and 2, added the Aquaticlife skimmer, got the InTank baskets, swapped in a MJ1200 as the return pump, and scraped the rear paint off. Once cycled, I'm planning to put some chaeto in the InTank fuge basket and light it (either internally with a submersible light, or through the rear wall, undecided on that). Hoping to gain the benefit of nitrate and phosphate export, and to provide a breeding area for some beneficial 'pods. My question is whether I should remove or leave the foam block between chambers 2 and 3? I had planned to leave it to catch any stray strands of chaeto from making it to my return pump and possibly the display area. But will the foam inhibit the beneficial 'pods from making it to the tank? Is it enough to filter them out, or will they pass through it? Thanks for any tips on this.

Ok, so I finally took out my stock return pump and replaced it with mj900 that I had laying around. Not seeing much difference. Should I put in my old mj1200? (I use a hydor deflector)

I took the commendation from the mod review from the links on page 1 but maybe the stock evolved over the years? The mod page said u a koralia 1, those aren't around anymore, I use a nano 425. Looks to have the same GPh.

But I am still not excited...feel like I still have some dead spots...

Anyone's thoughts?

I'm new at this, but I do have a MJ1200 as my return pump, through the hydor deflector attachment. And one of the older (if not original) Koralia 2 power heads for circulation. I'll find out if it's too little / too much when I stock the tank I guess. I don't have a sandstorm or anything right now though.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have a quick write up or pictures/experience of a Loc Line on a Biocube 14?

does the new coralife 14 have indivdual switches for daylight and actinic?

I know this is a late reply but yes it has separate switches. The LED extra panels also have switches, the unit comes with 1 and 1 expansion slot, however after adding a second I found out you cannot alternate them based on switches as they are wired in circuit. LED A must be on for B to work, however you can turn B off and leave A on just not B without A.

• 1 month later...
SomeWonderfulNonsense

hey guys i have a question:

i installed a oceanic pump that you can purchase in my 14 gallon and I think the flow is way to strong now. My poor purple firefish looks like it's battling to just stay in the water column. I now have it aimed at the back of the tank, sort of from the middle across to the back, but that seems to defeat the purpose of having it. I also have a hydor flo deflector on it's way. Is this all going to be too much?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Getting ready to set up my BC8 and have a quick question. Want to hookup a chiller to the tank and was thinking of using a MJ1200 to push water from the 3rd chamber into the chiller and back out the stock return. The chiller will be below the tank and it looks about 36" from chamber up over the tank and down to chiller. Do you think the MJ will suffice? It will not be only source of flow, prolly will be using my mp10 also.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today I swapped out my stock 14g pump for a 29g pump and it seemed to be way too much flow.

Has anyone had any experience trying this?

Is a 243gph return pump too much?

Getting ready to set up my BC8 and have a quick question. Want to hookup a chiller to the tank and was thinking of using a MJ1200 to push water from the 3rd chamber into the chiller and back out the stock return. The chiller will be below the tank and it looks about 36" from chamber up over the tank and down to chiller. Do you think the MJ will suffice? It will not be only source of flow, prolly will be using my mp10 also.

You probably wont get much flow out of the MJ1200 at three feet, but you could test it and see if it works for you.

My new 14 gallon biocube mod.Tell me what you think.

imag0453xo.jpg

That's pretty slick

Today I swapped out my stock 14g pump for a 29g pump and it seemed to be way too much flow.

Has anyone had any experience trying this?

Is a 243gph return pump too much?

Depends on your livestock, but I'd say probably not.

My fish were in a constant swim and my feather duster was getting blown sideways.Also my frogspawn wasnt liking it much.

Get a reflector, or point your power head toward the surface.

I have a question about the foam block between chambers 2 and 3. Ran a couple searches on this large thread and didn't see an answer for it. Keep in mind, I'm new to saltwater tanks, so this may be a silly question.

I have a Biocube 29 currently cycling. Have had the lighting rebuilt with LED lighting by Nano-Box-Reef, done the tab removal between chambers 1 and 2, added the Aquaticlife skimmer, got the InTank baskets, swapped in a MJ1200 as the return pump, and scraped the rear paint off. Once cycled, I'm planning to put some chaeto in the InTank fuge basket and light it (either internally with a submersible light, or through the rear wall, undecided on that). Hoping to gain the benefit of nitrate and phosphate export, and to provide a breeding area for some beneficial 'pods. My question is whether I should remove or leave the foam block between chambers 2 and 3? I had planned to leave it to catch any stray strands of chaeto from making it to my return pump and possibly the display area. But will the foam inhibit the beneficial 'pods from making it to the tank? Is it enough to filter them out, or will they pass through it? Thanks for any tips on this.

This is a great question..I have the same setup and keep the foam in to catch any chaeto. I have quite a nice supply of pods in chamber 2 now, and don't think their making their way into the tank. Any suggestions?