Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

NEW LED PENDANT FOR PICO

cdelicath

Ahh the stock cooler from a socket 754 Athlon. A throwback to the days when processors came with heatsinks that didn't suck. I've got a couple of these kicking around here somewhere waiting for something like this... Maybe I need a pico?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone should hold off on there pico purchases because there's gonna be a new kid in town real soon :eek: It will be worth the wait....

great thread.

As I am sure alot of ppl are wondering, is it really that simple. Order the parts and plug them in, I understand soldering is involved (which I believe I can do although i will butcher the job) but beyond that is there much else?

And if all that work cost over a $100 bucks, (plug for ya Evil) then wouldn't it be more economical to order one from Evil...? The 6W bulb LED? it may not look as sexy but for all us "lazy" peeps its a good alternative. I rather pay someone who has the expertise than goof up a $100 buck project.

A setup like this can generate much more PAR/light. Cdelicath measured over 300 PAR in the tank running at3.7W (1000mA drive current), while my lamps have a hard time hitting 200 with optics. I also don't have the ability to dim. It's all dependant on what you want.

Alright, I just got a couple of buckpucks (1000ma) and power supply.

I want to order LEDs. What do you guys think. My tank is a AIO 3g pico. I have built my sump and overflow into the tank. The display will be about 2g. The dimensions are 6"x9" with a depth to sandbed at around 8".

I am wondering what kind of lay out I should have.

I was thinking of a linear lay out:

(CW)(RB) (CW) (RB)(CW)

Or should I do a layout like:

(CW) (CW)

(RB) (RB)

(CW)

I am having real trouble with the layout.

Also is there a big difference with the Q4 and Q5s?

I don't have equipment to drill and tap...is it a real big negative if I use thermo epoxy?

something like arctic silver premium thermal adesive

Any help is much appreciated.

want to ask, why the ratio of 3:2 B vs W?

is it to achieve the 14-20k colour temp?

would a linear spread like this be okay light dispersal?

I may only be able to find a square shape heat sink...I might use a circular formation...or go with a

BwB

wBw formation....

Either way will look cool but linear would be a bit better

If you are going with dimming pucks then 50/50 is good but the white will over power the blue. If you want the 14k+ look go with an extra blue.

I have a 3:1 mix on my pico and I love it. The coral are brighter and it looks more like ocean.

BWB

WBW

looks good with no spacing in the middle.

That's how I have mine and my tank is 6x6

alright, then I think I will go with

BWB

WBW with little to no space.

My tank is alittle bigger than 6'x6' its 6'x9'...

Interesting take, looks like ocean...kinda cool. but if I have a dimmer on my whites, I can turn them down. would you say six LEDs will fit on a 3'x3' heat sink??

alright, then I think I will go with

BWB

WBW with little to no space.

My tank is alittle bigger than 6'x6' its 6'x9'...

Interesting take, looks like ocean...kinda cool. but if I have a dimmer on my whites, I can turn them down. would you say six LEDs will fit on a 3'x3' heat sink??

the stars are 1"

Go bigger if you can

oh man, that looks awesome...and I assume you have the LEDs dimmed.

quick question: does your GSP sting your zoas? My GSP are getting out of control in my BC 8 and stings some of my coral.

1" each eh...

a six LED array would fit on a 3"x3" heat sink...just wondering how heat will be handled.

another question about your LEDs, did you use Q4 or Q5? LED supply sells the Q5 for 8.49 and I saw you listed your cost to be 7.50.

Yes it is and it's making me mad cause they are taking over. The zoos are growing stalks to try to get away from it. I am moving the rock to a new tank soon and I will be doing some house keeping on the GSP. I am going to banish them to their own island in the new tank.

I think they are the Q4's and heat will be fine with a fan. Mine stays completely cool almost cold.

Yeah...I love the carpet look of the GSP but man, they mean!

alright, I will polly go pick up the heatsink, found someone parting their computer...was hoping to find one slightly bigger but looks like that is an okay size with a fan.

How you planning on doing "house cleaning" with GSP already on the LR that your zoa resides on? Pick the GSP off? I tried that, and it started to release some milky substance...chemcial war fare? Dont know...I am thinking that that piece of LR will eventually become GSP island.

I will be looking to order my Q4 and Royal blues soon, and oh some thermo epoxy adhesive. Your thread has inspired me to go LED...

Cool glad to hear it. I will never go back. My light is running at 50% of what it could put out and stuff grows like crazy. And all with 12W :D

Cool glad to hear it. I will never go back. My light is running at 50% of what it could put out and stuff grows like crazy. And all with 12W :D

well, if you are running at 50 percent, would it be safe to say that you don't need four LEDs?

Would it be safe to assume that you would more or less be okay if you ran let say 3 LEDs instead of 4 at 100%.

I know you would have less area of coverage...but if the intensity of the light is enough...

I am still trying to figure out how many LEDs I should have in my array.

You can get everything from LED Supply if you want. They carry all the parts, except the highest bin white they carry is a Q4 (200lm as opposed to 220lm with a Q5, and 245lm with an R2). Will set you back $89 plus shiping.

1x Q4 White

3x XR-E Royal Blue

1x 700mA Buckpuck (dimmable w/pot)

1x 1000mA Buckpuck (dimmable w/pot)

1x 12v, 3A Power Supply

You can save a few bucks if you only use one driver (the 700mA one), but you loose the ability to change your color temp.

The fan will be able to run from that power supply. If you want a super quiet fan, look into the SilenX series of fans. Most are 14db, which is quieter than a whisper. Newegg has the best prices on them.

Just ordered the equipment list above...thanx Evil and Deli for your help. There is a free frag of screaming pink palys in it for you guys. I got a wicked deal on the cube and the palys when a shop in MD went out of business...three COLONIES and a 2 foot length of egg crate from the frag rack for $25!

E

The Betacube and filter are already in hand.

Yep, I ordered 5 LEDs

2 Q4 Whites

3 Royal Blues

Figure more is better than less...see how it turns out. I will do up a thread so many more will enter the arena that is High Power LEDs...wave of the future...

:D

Glad I could help

Deli,

I am copying your pico setup almost exactly...hope you know imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

E

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

My LEDs arrived!

I reread that you using only 50% output of your LEDs...and now I am wondering if I even need to use all five. Thinking if I should leave out one of my RB.

Yamato's LED build

Please give me input :) thanks.

If I leave the extra RB led out, I might stick it in my BC...just have to figure out what to use as a HS for ONE led...or save it for another project, OOOR since I got it, might as well put it into the Pico light...dunno what to do with it.

I ran one LED on a 5V .7a PS and nearly blinded myself. Those things are going to be Crazyyyy in the pico! I can buy a clam!

Archived