NEW LED PENDANT FOR PICO

cdelicath

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice. Just imagine if you had used optics :o

:mellow: it's already almost melting my zoo's

I don't even think i could keep anything in it with optics :huh:

PAR 295! Okay, that's all I really needed to know. I 'll be trying it out too.

Thanks ya'll, for a great thread on how to build one of these rascals.

With the dimming feature you could easily acclimate corals to the light and find the ideal level for them. Too cool.

PAR readings

3273130642_6a49a5c9b0.jpg

Oh shiznit 300PAR on a pico :lol:

Any idea what you need to grow stony corals? If your softies are melting there must be a lot of light, or maybe just the shock of the intensity?

By the way this thread is great, very helpful and inspirational. Thanks man :)

The zoo's aren't melting they are actually growing at a very fast rate. They don't seem to open as much as the ones in my BC14 though. That's what makes me think they are a bit stressed from the light. But it could also be that the tank is only like a month old.

Keep an eye on them. If they start getting smaller (but still open), it might be too much. 300 PAR probably won't do it, but 600+ did :)

good thing I can dim them.

I still hope to order the micro controller within the next few weeks or so.

This will be the perfect test light cause it sits right next to the computer :lol:

Hey evil have you found or do you recommend a thermistor that will allow me to add a temp monitor into the unit?

My goals for the first go round are:

• Temp monitor
  • Dimming
  • color temp
  • ON/OFF timer "This one im afraid of :P "

You could use a K-Type thermocouple, but an easier way would be to use a Dallas DS1822 one wire temp sensor. These are pretty well documented in the Arduino forums for use.

The on/off timer isn't to bad. It's the RTC that you need to set up is a little tricky, but once you have that out of the way, the timing is easy.

Have you worked with the LCD control board yet?

I'm wondering if I should put more time into making everything adjustable by the LCD or if I should spend the time coding a PC or web interface.

Haven't got to that part yet. Once the RTC was working, I just hard coded different times in for testing purposes. I have been able to read and write to flash to store the settings though.

Having some significant experience with PAR values from my local club, I'll just second Evil's sentiments here. In most cases, 200PAR is plenty for any coral. Lots of deper water ones will even do just fine down to about 50, but 200 is a great level to shoot for.

I dimmed the light a bit, i'm sure it's closer to 200 now. I'm going to leave it for a week and see how the zoo's do. Everything is definitely healthy it just doesn't seem to open up as much as under the 70w MH " which is a bit over100par".

You will probably see everything open more now that the intensity is lower. When I was blasting my poor tank with 600+, the zoas ended up getting smaller and smaller as they didn't need to be as big to get the light they need. Corals that were closed up before are now opening now that I turned the wick down to 350mA (about 180 PAR)

Wow if you guys can figure out some way of setting up timing for dimming I'd be sooo impressed... I'm no programmer, so chances are I'll have to get someone else to build this end for me.

Or is it easier than I imagine it would be? Is there a such thing as a timer / potentiometer that I can pick up somewhere? That would really make things easy...

Deli, get one of the protosheilds with the mini breadboard. It just makes life a little easier prototyping all the connections.

BlueAbyss, getting the controllers working isn't too hard if you have a little programming background. The Arduino language is pretty easy to pick up. After that, it will come down to your ability to think logically to get the functions you envision in your head down to the controller.

Doing a fade up, delay, fade down, and another delay isn't impossible without a controller, but it sure makes it a lot harder.

OK party people

Order was placed

Freeduino_gr.jpg

lcd_shield_2.jpg

Etehrnet_shield_2.jpg

I got the freeduino"same as the arduino"

the LCD keypad and the Ethernet adapter.

I figured why not just get it all now and save on the shipping.

It is coming from the UK and after the $ conversion it was like $60.00

for all of it shipped.

Now I ordered this at 12:00 in the morning so I expect to get a call from them saying something like "we don't ship to the US" or "shipping is extra" or "we are out of stock". icon_razz.gif

But hopefully everything is good and I can get started within a week or 2.

So assuming everything goes through ok, I got all the boards to make a controller with a keypad LCD display and the ability to connect to the net for $60. icon_twisted.gif

I will still need a USB cable, wire,bread board,thremoster"temp sensor" and maybe a 9v power cord.

All piddly sh!t.

If everything goes well we are talking about $80 to build

3286264776_b068da4f5f_o.jpg

Got some prototyping stuff today at radio hack.

I am going to do all my testing on 5mm LED's and then move the finished results over to the buck pucks. I HOPE :P

Archived