inTank Media Baskets

NEW LED PENDANT FOR PICO

cdelicath

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go for it... I hate to say it but I almost like this little PicO more then my BC14 :lol:

I spend a lot of time at my desk and having this little guy sitting here is really cool.

I tried to make it out of stuff that is cheap and easily accessible so it could be replicated without much trouble. If you need any help you know where to find me.

That meter is made by Apogee. The only other meter that is within practical financial reach of most hobbiests is made by Licor, and that thing is still expensive. Next step is spectrometers $$$$$$ :o

musthaveitall

Ok, I am new to the LED hobby but when you dim these LED's do you put the controller before or after the Buck Puck? Because I think I might have an extremely easy way to control them, this probably wouldn't be useful for a light of this size, but on larger applications it would be awesome. You could control it from your PC very easily. http://store.lightorama.com/cmdedcca.html I have used the AC versions to control my Christmas lights (click the link in my sig to see what I mean), you would have 16 channels of control, so you could have all sorts of cool effects, heck you could throw in some orange and red lights and have a simulated sunset or something. The control software for this is very simple, they have a demo on there site that gives you a good look at how the software works. Its made for synchronizing Christmas lights to music.

Let me know what you all think.

Clint

It's possible. That unit is really designed for high voltage control (up to 60v). Most of the logic levels for the drivers are either 0-5v (Buckpuck) or 0-10v (Meanwell). Provided that you can set software limits for the max output voltage, it could be used.

very cool

I went with the arduino based on evil's recommendation but I really do think it's the best method of control because it can be used as a standalone unit and not just a controller for the lights but also other stuff.

the only limitation I have found so far might be the memory . Evil have you run into any issues yet?

Depends on what you want to store in there. If it's just timer settings and brightness, then the on board flash is plenty. If you are doing data logging, then you are going to have to look at off board storage.

Just waiting on the shipment. It was shipped Mon from the UK

I'm probably going to start a new thread for it when I get it.

Depends on what you want to store in there. If it's just timer settings and brightness, then the on board flash is plenty. If you are doing data logging, then you are going to have to look at off board storage.

I have a old camera with SD sitting around here somewhere I wonder if I can use the SD interface for storage. I thought I saw a arduino SD shield some where so it must be possible.

EDIT: although I forgot I got the Ethernet card too I could just send data to a network drive maybe :huh:

It all sounds so easy in theory huh........ :scarry:

wow, wot an awesome build, the pendant and the tank look great!!

i'v wanted a little pico for my desk for years, ,and i'v been keeping an eye on the LED threads on here, as we in the UK have a very limited selection of lighting suitable for nanoreefs and practically nothing that would light a reef this small, a DIY LED build would b perfect.

things r looking up :D

Man looks awesome I'm tempted to build one of these for mine. I like the idea of being able to control all your timers and stuff from a single board instead of having to use analog timers like I'm planning.

I am using a analog timer right now and it may stay that way even after the controller because I may make a LED pendant for my BC14 and use the controller on that.

• 2 months later...

Deli/Evil,

Crazy. You have inspired me...I am going to duplicate this 1G system and use the experience to get my feet wet with LEDS.

Have a look at the heat sinks and the fan kits I got at RadioShack...$6 for the pair including tax (they are ~8 bucks each plus shipping on line).

Question for you guys...after reading the thread, it looks like you need to run the LEDs in series...I assume you run the fan with the lights is parallel?

The lights are 12V with (0.14-0.24, I have two different types). What kind of power source do I need? Is there a single web-based vendor I can order the LEDs, pucs, and power source from?

Mnay thanks...thanks for the thread and all the help!

E

post-43357-1242350132_thumb.jpg

post-43357-1242350140_thumb.jpg

The LEDs are run in series from the driver. The fan will be wired in parallel to the driver to the power supply.

Not sure what you mean by "The lights are 12V with (0.14-0.24, I have two different types). " Care to explain?

The LEDs are run in series from the driver. The fan will be wired in parallel to the driver to the power supply.

Not sure what you mean by "The lights are 12V with (0.14-0.24, I have two different types). " Care to explain?

Doh!

I meant the FANS are 12V/0.2A!

I am not envisioning how to wire in parallel to the driver...and is there a difference in wiring "from" or "to" something?

Sorry for the idiot questions....

just run another set of wires from the 12v power supply up to the fan.

Or a separate 12v supply.

If you are using a 16v supply then add a POT in to dial it down to 12v.

Archived