ReefCleaners.org

NEW LED PENDANT FOR PICO

cdelicath

That wiring is still wrong, you want to go from the + on your power supply, to the + on the led, then - to + on the leds, then the last - goes back to the - on the power supply. Like this... (mind the ascii drawing, i dont feel like uploading a pic :))

┌─┐

│┼├─ +☼- ─ +☼- ─┐

│─├─ -☼+ ─ -☼+ ─┘

└─┘

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still waiting on the LED's and power supply so I took some down time to drill and tap the HS and mount the splash shield.

3176144616_01b93eb3b3.jpg?v=0

The wires running up to the LED's are going to be about 12" from the buckpuck.

I am putting everything in a project box and running the leads up to the LED's.

I saw something in the spec sheet about the length if the wires. Will this have any effect?

No. The only length issue they have is if you run the power supply more than 18" from the Buckpuck. They recommend adding a capacitor across the input wires, but it's not a requirement.

Sweet... Thanx Evil

Waiting on pins an needles for the parts :unsure:

also is 18G wire ok? What range of wire sizes can I use?

By using a dimmable driver, is there a way to have the rise and fall of the light levels emulate the dawn/dusk cycle automatically?

You would need a controller and I think Evil and a few others are working on this.

Once they get it figured out I am adding it to mine.

18awg wire will work, but it's a little bulky. I normally use 26awg.

For the automated dimming, yeah you will need a controller (not reefkeeper or aquacontroller). With some of the developement boards available, it's not too hard for those that want to try their hand at programming. Cheap too.

Hey evil I am interested in the boards. where should I start?

I am a web developer so I'm sure I will take quickly to learning the code :wacko:

Is there a thread on this subject yet to catch me up to speed?

Easiest unit to start on is the Arduino, and it's many variants. Uses a simplified version of C to program, and has a huge support community. You can buy preassembled boards for about $35.

We don't have a thread on here about this kind of thing, but I can help you out if you need. It's been fun for me learning it. I have it currently running a 2x16 LCD, real time clock, and one of my LED drivers. Didn't take long to get started, but it will take me a little more time to make it into something useful.

Got the LED's in and the buckpuck

Here's some pictures

3179427359_e6592a45ee.jpg?v=0

3180263086_e3a3ff1b2e.jpg?v=0

How should I mount these little guys?

The white is the one with the yellow middle.

A

3179427441_c927d253f1.jpg?v=0

or

3179427401_3367bfc94d.jpg?v=0

B

I'm thinking A but what do you guy's think?

Just waiting on the Power supply now.

It was shipped from Vermont on Tuesday so it may not get here until Monday :tears:

C Put the white dead nuts in the middle of the heatsink and put the blues around it in a triangle as tight as you can.

EDIT: ^^^ SOB beat me to it :)

C Put the white dead nuts in the middle of the heatsink and put the blues around it in a triangle as tight as you can.

EDIT: ^^^ SOB beat me to it :)

Lol, that never happens :D

gotcha....

Hey Evil I went to register for my classes today for this semester and guess what.......

C+ programing was on there. :lol:

Has very little to do with web design and development but I guess I will be able to program the hell out of that micro controller.

You did say it used C+ right?

arduino316.jpg

It's a modified version of C. C++ is a superset of C that adds things like object oriented programming. It's not used much for microcontrollers as it can be a little bloated, but the same principles apply. Honestly, if you know java, you can handle this without much difficulty. The programming structure is the same.

I'm soldering the LED's today so all I have to do is connect the power and glue them down to the HS.

I'm using a 2 part adhesive thermal paste. That sound ok?

I didn't look into it to far yet but you can get nice LCD controller boards and stuff for it right?

may i recomend using raptor, its about as easy as it gets to make a simple program.

its a flowcharting application that allows you to make and use your application, then convert it to C, C+, C++. (visually easier for anyone, especially if you dont know the structure of laying out a program on C.)

also another program i use alot is python 2.5 (or 2.0? i dunno)

visual basics is also very cool, mostly deals with the GUI part of your program.(visual parts, buttons, pop up windows, ect..)

im a systems networking major haha.

are you looking to make up a program to controll your LED's? like the solaris?

lmk if i can help.

im in the proccess of trying to layout something like a "reefkeeper" but completely dependent on your computer instead of a seperate interface.

It's the electronics part that kills me.. given enough time I can figure out the coding.

I get lost when it comes to the resistor capacitor voltage stuff :P

Then I will just bug Evil.....

Archived