ReefCleaners.org

Chucktown 20H

divecj5

Just got my Bonsai, Oregon Tort, and Bali Tricolor frags in from the seller I got the Tubs and Nucs from. They were supposed to only be around 1/4-1/2" each but are definitely bigger than that. Couldn't be happier as I got one of them as a replacement for the Purple Deaths and one as a freebie. All said and done, only paid around $40 for 3 top notch frags.

I just finished mounting them and now they are all happily in the tank. I will try and get some pictures tonight after they've had some time to settle in. Can't wait for them to grow out now. I can already tell by the color of the Oregon, that it is going to be a showstopper when it grows out. This time around, I know that it is indeed the True Oregon Tort and not a Cali Tort. Should be fun to watch grow.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow the tank is looking great! that is a great deal on those frags :D

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look at the tank. It's definitely coming along...just slow going watching frags grow :)

I definitely lucked out with the frags....seller was more than generous and shipping was nice and cheap.

Hey Pal, I was reading another thread where you talked about reducing your photoperiod. Have you done this? Read a couple of threads on RC about it after you mentioned it and it seems to be somewhat valid. I may give this a try myself.

I just started reducing my lighting from 9 hours total to around 7 1/2 to 8. I might reduce it ultimately down to around 7 total but want to see if cutting out just an hour will have any effect.

Sounds like it might apply even more to MH users like yourself.

Yup that is what I was thinking too. I run from 9 hours on the MH right now, think I'll cut back to 7 for a while and see what develops.

Going to try a lights out day or two a month also.

God I love this hobby!!!!!!

Some pictures of the new additions.

True Oregon Tort - just a little guy :D

_MG_9679_web.jpg

Tyree Bonsai

_MG_9681_web.jpg

Bali Tri-Color

_MG_9683_web.jpg

Tubs Blues

_MG_9684_web.jpg

Nuc Green

_MG_9685_web.jpg

Going to let the new frags chill in the sand bed for a day or two more and then it's up to the rock they go.

New frags look great... Tubbs Blue are SWEET!! :)

Thanks....just gotta keep whispering sweet nothings to them to get them growing :)

I have been keeping a running log of the corals that I get and I've been trying to keep track of the coral's lineage if at all possible. Figured it would be a good thing to have so I can see how long I've had a coral, trace it back to who I got it from, and possibly go back further than that. I usually ask for lineage of corals before buying just so that I know what I'm actually getting.

Here is the link to a Google Doc I've put together in case anyone is interested - Coral Lineage

So is there a point to where you say to yourself, "Self that is enough, let's let them grow out and see how the tank looks with nice large colonies"?

So is there a point to where you say to yourself, "Self that is enough, let's let them grow out and see how the tank looks with nice large colonies"?

Definitely Henry. I think that is one of the nice things about having a nano-sized tank, you get to the point where you need to allow for room to grow so it's sort of a natural deterrent. I think there are LOADS of people on this forum that get into the hobby, have gobs of money to spend, and basically buy every coral or piece of equipment they could ever want within the first 2-3 months. For me, I'm really selective on the corals that I add to my tank. As you can see from my coral lineage list, I've purchased a total of 12 frags over the course of close to 3 years :)

I have probably 3-4 specific SPS frags I would like to get (Pink Lemonade, Pearlberry, Hawkins, Red/Blue Milli, etc) and that's it on the SPS. I may pick up a couple of more things here and there but nothing crazy.

I'm just going to let things settle for a while now and let things fill out.

Gottcha. The tank has a cool minimalist look to it with the two islands and all of the open sand. In my minds eye I can see it left that way and all of those sticks grown into beautiful colonies and the rock disappearing under them.

Gottcha. The tank has a cool minimalist look to it with the two islands and all of the open sand. In my minds eye I can see it left that way and all of those sticks grown into beautiful colonies and the rock disappearing under them.

I like the way you think...I'm hoping to keep it to a minimum and just let things grow out. A couple more splashes of color and I think I'm set for a while. Other than trading and sharing of course.

Well, that didn't last long. Got home from work just a second ago and the Oregon frag is toast...completely white. Really pretty bummed about this as this was the piece I was really looking to get and keep. :rant:

Oh well, maybe it was just too small or I screwed up something while gluing it down. Not sure but at least the others look good.

I hate RTN!!!!!!!!!

You're telling me....I've never experienced anything like that before. Looked great last night when the lights were on, good this morning, and then POOF....gone this afternoon.

Guess you win some and you lose some. -_-

Man I am sorry to hear that :(

So what's the story with cutting down the photo period, cause I was thinking to myself last night I should cut mine dow from 12hrs to 10hrs...I am running them from 9am to 9pm :unsure:

I also run 12hrs on my other 2 tanks

Paleoreef103
You're telling me....I've never experienced anything like that before. Looked great last night when the lights were on, good this morning, and then POOF....gone this afternoon.

Guess you win some and you lose some. -_-

It sucks doesn't it? I don't understand RTN. My blue bottlebrush just lost most of its tissue randomly. The other Acros around it are doing great, but it just decided it needed to stop living.

I was running noon to 9 pm. I cut mine down to 12:45pm to 8:15pm last night. Also had the actinic on one hour before and one hour after, is now on 1/2 hour before and 1/2 hour after. My blue moonlights are on the rest of the time, haven't cut them down yet.

What did you do Dive???????

Adam,

Long time man....i see the tank is doing great!! Love the new pieces and they colored up nicely. Great selection too. I actually picked up a couple of new pieces myself - Rainbow Acan and Purple Garf Bonsi (my first sps)....my zoos are running ramped and its time to do some fraging this weekend...all in all my tank and the light are great....Unfortunately i might be moving near june and not looking forward to transfering everything.

Anyway keep up the good work!!

Archived