Cultivated Reef

Chucktown 20H

divecj5

Hope your frags make it. That's one reason I don't buy or ship corals, I don't want to risk any purchases with ups or the postal system. Plus, if a local screws you over you know where to get them. :ninja:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hope your frags make it. That's one reason I don't buy or ship corals, I don't want to risk any purchases with ups or the postal system. Plus, if a local screws you over you know where to get them. :ninja:

I hear ya on that and agree 100%. Unfortunately, there are no locals other than PodRod that really have anything worthwhile to purchase. I usually only buy from someone online if they have either really good feedback and are a longstanding member on here or RC or in the case of someone like DaveFason, I've dealt with him before and know that he stands behind his word on things.

Buying live corals and trusting shipping companies is always a little like Russian Roulette. The first package this guy sent has still never been found although it shows that it was picked up from his location.

or RC

There's your problem. :lol:

I'm just messin with you. They do have a good selling forum with a lot of active members, but I still find it hard to swallow shipping costs and play russian roulette with shipping companies. Plus I have a killer LFS and quite a few locals to trade with.

I know I know :) I actually haven't bought anything from RC in about 2 years. They are good in the fact that they allow frag packs so you can get some great deals. Paying for shipping does make things a little less desirable.

airman_verde04
I hear ya on that and agree 100%. Unfortunately, there are no locals other than PodRod that really have anything worthwhile to purchase.

I wish I had better choices of coral to share with you guys! I'm trying to plan out my new tank. I'm up and down on the 9g design I have, and a 6g.. well actually it would be more like 5. I'm really thinking the 5g even though the 9g is bigger, I dont know if the cost of the build is what I want, and with the 5g I'm thinking I'll be able to support some really good stuff. 2 water changes a week, almost 3g sump/fuge.. I'll defrently be able to get some cool stuff going on to share with you guys! The first tank I saw which got me into the idea of all the reef stuff was at the LFS that was right by TL, you remember that place? they closed down (go figure) but it was like a 2-3g pico with one small peice of LR and one clown (which I didn't know was kind of mean at the time) ok... I'm talking about my crap on your page again.. Sorry......

Thanks for stopping by the thread David. I've been following your thread but just haven't had a real chance to comment on your design. Looks like Fosi has been giving you some good feedback on it though.

Hopefully when you get back in the states, I'll have plenty of coral to share with you and the new tank.

airman_verde04

Thanks man! yeah, I'M really looking forward to the adventure into the almost pico world! and no worries about being busy, not everyone gets sent away from there family to spend 6 months infront of a computer bored out of there minds!! Thank goodness for N-R.

I'm contemplating getting an Aqua C Remora skimmer since I've found one for really cheap.

Anybody use one? Good or bad feedback wanted. I eventually would like to set up a sump with a really nice large cone skimmer but just don't have the money for the sump, pump, overflow box, and skimmer together.

Just thinking that I need to start running a skimmer on this tank so I can feed more. I think the fish and coral would be happier :)

I'm almost positive I'll be in the minority on this, but I actually haven't been very impressed with my Nano-Remora skimmer.

Quality components and looks great, but just doesn't seem to skim very efficiently for me.

Maybe I just got a dud.

Everyone else raves about them, I dunno. *shrugs*

I'm almost positive I'll be in the minority on this, but I actually haven't been very impressed with my Nano-Remora skimmer.

Quality components and looks great, but just doesn't seem to skim very efficiently for me.

Maybe I just got a dud.

Everyone else raves about them, I dunno. *shrugs*

Thanks for the input Weetie. I kind of had the same feeling about the Tunze 9002 when I had it in my BC29. Never really pulled anything out and was just more of a nuisance than anything else. I think this had more to due with a pretty low bioload and the fact that the water line has to remain PERFECT for it to skim.

airman_verde04

You know, I could be very very very very wrong here. HAHA.. lots of verys.. but I think Lin, the Coral lady in Summerville has something similar on one of her tanks..( I saw something that looked like that when I went over there to buy my pink zoas and frogspawn) well the smaller one she has set up. I know she was getting ready to set up this monster of a tank she bought with store credit at TL..

airman_verde04

P.S. what is that website for those folks in Columbia you sometimes get your coral from? I think you mentioned that they ship, but you pick them up sometimes? anyways, do you have there website?

P.S. what is that website for those folks in Columbia you sometimes get your coral from? I think you mentioned that they ship, but you pick them up sometimes? anyways, do you have there website?

David they are called Aquarium Specialty and the owners name is Scott. I have ordered from him about 6 times now and everything comes the next day since they are in Columbia. Great guy to deal with and they really only carry the best and highest quality products.

I am getting that Remora skimmer I mentioned yesterday. It has the MJ 1200 instead of the stock Rio that comes with them standard. The whole thing, including shipping, is going to cost me about as much as the LFS charges for the MJ1200 alone. Looking forward to hooking it up Tuesday or Wednesday.

airman_verde04
David they are called Aquarium Specialty and the owners name is Scott. I have ordered from him about 6 times now and everything comes the next day since they are in Columbia. Great guy to deal with and they really only carry the best and highest quality products.

I am getting that Remora skimmer I mentioned yesterday. It has the MJ 1200 instead of the stock Rio that comes with them standard. The whole thing, including shipping, is going to cost me about as much as the LFS charges for the MJ1200 alone. Looking forward to hooking it up Tuesday or Wednesday.

sweet!! good bargan hunting Adam.. bravo! take pictures! I'll be excited to see it up and running.

Below are some pictures that I took yesterday afternoon. The first couple are of the "frags" that I got last week. I posted them so that the seller could take a look at them and know what I was trying to explain. You can see how the Nuc Green is still folded in on itself. Only one of the Tubs looks like it is alright and the Purple Deaths and the freebies have become pod food. There are also some pictures of my fastest growing corals - ORA Cali Tort and the Green Acro Vermiculata. My Tort is by far my favorite piece.

Nuc Green

_MG_9594.jpg

Tubs Blue

_MG_9595.jpg

Purple Death (literally) - Bottom left corner of rock

_MG_9596.jpg

Freebies - were in the upper left corner of the rock

_MG_9597.jpg

ORA Cali Tort

_MG_9599.jpg

_MG_9602.jpg

Green Acro Vermiculata

_MG_9600.jpg

Skimmer should be in tomorrow afternoon and I might be heading up to Columbia Friday to pick up some Tyree Pink Lemonade and a couple other SPS frags :happydance:

Got my Remora skinner today and got it all hooked up. It's a little loud but should settle in nicely within a day or two. The thing is a beast. Probably holds a gallon of water alone and is already making some nice thick foam. I don't really like having another tube in the tank but might paint it blue to match the background. We'll see how it performs over the next couple of days.

I'm going to be picking up a True Oregon Tort, Tyree Pink Bonsai and Bali Tri-color next week. Getting a great deal through the guy I got the zoas from.

I got off a little early from work today because of Good Friday and started tinkering with the tank. You all know what happens when you start that :)

An hour later, I have moved the skimmer so that I could tuck the MJ1200 in a corner and out of the way, trimmed the AC70 tube to make it less visible in the tank, switched the fuge to the other side of the tank...and then the fun began.

I have never been completely happy with the aquascape in my tank....always seemed too bulky and just not open enough. So I went to work. I ended up taking out a big rock from the right, slid a flat piece on the bottom and then moved the rock with the Tort, Poccili, and Green Acro on top of that. I LOVE it now....give the tank a completely different look and I finally pretty pleased with that side. I think I can improve the look overall by moving the Green cap to the far right side of the tank to mirror the Orange Cap. I don't plan on doing that today since I've already pissed off the corals, fish, and had my hands in the tank too long.

Finally something turned out perfect in the tank....definitely happy.

I will take some pictures tomorrow to show the changes since I"m sure the description above just confused you all.

Hope everyone has a great start to the weekend.

airman_verde04
I got off a little early from work today because of Good Friday and started tinkering with the tank. You all know what happens when you start that :)

An hour later, I have moved the skimmer so that I could tuck the MJ1200 in a corner and out of the way, trimmed the AC70 tube to make it less visible in the tank, switched the fuge to the other side of the tank...and then the fun began.

I have never been completely happy with the aquascape in my tank....always seemed too bulky and just not open enough. So I went to work. I ended up taking out a big rock from the right, slid a flat piece on the bottom and then moved the rock with the Tort, Poccili, and Green Acro on top of that. I LOVE it now....give the tank a completely different look and I finally pretty pleased with that side. I think I can improve the look overall by moving the Green cap to the far right side of the tank to mirror the Orange Cap. I don't plan on doing that today since I've already pissed off the corals, fish, and had my hands in the tank too long.

Finally something turned out perfect in the tank....definitely happy.

I will take some pictures tomorrow to show the changes since I"m sure the description above just confused you all.

Hope everyone has a great start to the weekend.

yeah!! I only get about 2 days a week where I can actually view your pictures (when I'm off and using the wireless internet here) so I better see pictures tomorrow night! you have till 9pm Sunday.. OR LESS..... ops :eek: , I mean. OR ELSE!!! :angry: te-he

Just wanted to post some updated pictures of the tank. Overall, I'm not sure if it's the addition of the skimmer but everything has been looking super healthy and the water is pretty much crystal clear now.

I'm getting some small frags of True Oregon Tort and Tyree Purple Bonsai tomorrow. They will be small but it will be rewarding to grow them out.

Full Tank Shots

_MG_9624_web.jpg

_MG_9619_web.jpg

Left Island

_MG_9629_web.jpg

New Right Island

_MG_9627_web.jpg

Pride and Joy

_MG_9633_web.jpg

This will be beautiful when those sticks and plates grow out. Well done!

Thanks Henry. That is one thing about SPS....they are kind of something that you have to wait a while before they turn into something spectacular. Although they aren't quite as exciting as the movement of various LPS, I find that it is more rewarding when you grow something from a really small frag.

I just need to keep the Barry White playing at night....seems to be helping so far :D

Looking good.

I see you took the simple aquascaping too ;)

-Dave

Thanks for stopping by Dave. I really tried for the simple aquascape from the front but, as usual, I ended up putting in too much rock from the start. Amazing what removing just one rock will do for the overall feel of the tank.

Archived