Innovative Marine Aquariums

Chucktown 20H

divecj5

airman_verde04

Hey Adam, tanks looking good! I hope that I'll actually get to see this one in person unlike your last one. you know, I just noticed you were talking about the AC 70, haha.. you know, funny thing is I have a AC 50 for my 2g pico cube. haha, when I was doing a water test on that sucker.. MAN!! did it have a crap load of water flow for such a little tank..

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything has officially been moved into the new tank and the BC29 has now been taken down completely. Kind of strange now looking at the place where my 29 was for almost two years but all good things must come to an end and everything looks stunning in the 20H. I honestly couldn't be happier with how it's turning out.

I ended up catching the firefish on the first try, thank God, and then I was able to catch the clowns without taking out any rock. I couldn't believe the luck I had consider what a pain it was the last time.

Unlike when I moved the fish from my 55 to the 29, they were out swimming and eating last night after only being in there for a couple of hours. I figured they would have been hiding for at least a day.

One funny thing, I switched the MP20 to wave mode, got a nice 2 inch wave going back and forth.....and that COMPLETELY freaked them out :lol: I think I saw one of the clowns give me the finger.

More pics to come tomorrow since I now have all of my coral in the new tank.

Grabbed a good hunk of chaeto from PodRod (thanks Karen) and have it nice and tumbling in my AC70. I currently having a simple clip on desk lamp running a 6500k CFL on it. We'll see how it goes with growth. This is the first time that I've run a fuge so hopefully it will be a great way to keep Trates in check and provide a safe haven for pods and such.

I know that the chaeto ball that Karen gave me has loads of chitons and other microfauna in there. There is all sorts of stuff crawling out of the AC70 :)

Thanks Karen....great to see your tank again.

Oh yeah, and I moved my frags out of the sand bed and up into the rock. I haven't glued them down yet so I can see how they react.

Clear sand bed :happydance: :happydance:

Feels a little like I"m talking to myself....but anyways...what is a good light schedule for my fuge? I don't really want to run it on a reverse light cycle. The tank is in a guest bedroom, well actually the dogs room, and I don't want to have it running in the middle of the night.

Right now I have it set to come on and run for 6 hours....is that too much, too little?

You're not talking to yourself, I'm following closely as I'm from Charleston too. Would love to see a FTS!

My 10 gallon is really coming along at the near 2-month mark, I've got some really nice rics growing. I also picked up some nice zoa frags and a teeny green frogspawn frag from a woman in Summerville that advertises on craigslist.

You're not talking to yourself, I'm following closely as I'm from Charleston too. Would love to see a FTS!

My 10 gallon is really coming along at the near 2-month mark, I've got some really nice rics growing. I also picked up some nice zoa frags and a teeny green frogspawn frag from a woman in Summerville that advertises on craigslist.

Awesome....glad to run into another Charleston reefer on here....there are 4-5 of us. I am going to take some pictures today but won't be able to post them til Tuesday since my card reader is at work and I have Monday off.

Do you have a thread for your 10 gallon? Would love to see some pics of it as well.

Sucks about the Neomeris but I'm glad to see you bounced back so well. Hopefully I have it as easy as you did when I try to catch and move my own fish. Not looking forward to it in the 55 with all of that rock. This tank looks to be starting off nicely and I think you'll do well considering how your last tank was going. Aside from the Neomeris, everything was great.

Good luck,

Bill

Sucks about the Neomeris but I'm glad to see you bounced back so well. Hopefully I have it as easy as you did when I try to catch and move my own fish. Not looking forward to it in the 55 with all of that rock. This tank looks to be starting off nicely and I think you'll do well considering how your last tank was going. Aside from the Neomeris, everything was great.

Good luck,

Bill

Thanks Bill for the compliments. It really did suck having to take down the 29 but I think this one will be even better. The corals that I moved over to this tank already look better (completely polyp'd out) and are already coloring up. I think with every tank we all learn new things. One definite thing that I've learned over the three years reefing is to not skimp on equipment...better to get the better quality if you can because you will eventually end up buying it :)

I am going to swing over and check out your threads now....been a while since I've caught up on it.

:happydance:BIG picture update (14 pics). Finally moved all but three of the cap frags that I am trying to sell up onto the rock. I mounted the Bali Green Slimer as well as one of the Orange Caps to the rock. Still trying to find the best place for my Green Cap frag.

I personally think the color of the frags are vastly improved just for being in the tank for a week over the 29. I think a lot has to do with the flow from the MP20. I definitely know that there is a lot more polyp extension on all of the frags and the ORA Tort is finally starting to get its color back.

Full Tank Shots

_MG_9323.jpg

_MG_9321.jpg

Left Side

_MG_9316.jpg

Right Side

_MG_9308.jpg

_MG_9310.jpg

More individual coral shots:

LE Birdsnest

_MG_9315.jpg

ORA Oregon Tort - Can't seem to get the blue tinge to it in the pictures

_MG_9313.jpg

Green cap w/blue polyps

_MG_9312.jpg

Blue Stag - Slowly coloring back up

_MG_9311.jpg

Bali Green Slimer - It really is this green

_MG_9302.jpg

Orange Digitata frag

_MG_9303.jpg

Green Poccilopora

_MG_9305.jpg

Since the pictures didn't entice anyone to post, just wanted to note that I have my dosing schedule down pat for the time being and I am already noticing growth tips on the Birdsnest, the Tort is turning back to a dark blue and the Blue Stag has never looked better.

I'm not sure if it's the stability of the params in the tank, the better, more random flow, or just not tinkering with it but the corals have never looked better....and I'm just not saying that to make myself feel good :lol:

Should have some more pictures next week....might start posting one at a time since maybe 14 was too much.

Nice start . Another sc res here checking in.

Thanks...glad to see another SC reefer on here. Maybe at some point we can all get a group buy together or a trade going.

airman_verde04

your tank is looking great there Adam, sorry your not getting to much chatter on your page. I'm sure its going to come with time. well, I just got home, so I'm going to sleep.. yeah, I know, its 8:30am, but I work at night still.. HAHA..I'm a vampire anymore..

oh!! we should do lunch again.. maybe next week? Wednesday? we can see if Karen is free..

Thanks for the compliment David....no biggy on the chatter here on the thread....I like to document and post either way :)

I ended up getting rid of the GSP I was going to give you since it was withering away. I didn't want to give you something that was on it's way out. Hopefully, once I start to get some zoas and palys I can give you something for your tank.

bonsai reefer
Thanks...glad to see another SC reefer on here. Maybe at some point we can all get a group buy together or a trade going.

No prob just set up a 40 frag tank and will be stocking it with some rare stuff to prop.

airman_verde04

sweet!! sounds good, I'm trying to kill this Algae in my tank.. well not kill it, but get it under control, it looks like grass, in one place where I cut it down about a week ago It grew back in a perfect flat top look.. haha, it looked kind of cool, but them I was pissed off because its growing in my prized pink zoas.. Not cool..

Awesome....glad to run into another Charleston reefer on here....there are 4-5 of us. I am going to take some pictures today but won't be able to post them til Tuesday since my card reader is at work and I have Monday off.

Do you have a thread for your 10 gallon? Would love to see some pics of it as well.

Here's my thread....finally!

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=183743

No prob just set up a 40 frag tank and will be stocking it with some rare stuff to prop.

Awesome.....we should all definitely get a trade together. There is another Charleston reefer, PodRod (Karen), who has an awesome tank and stunning coral.

sweet!! sounds good, I'm trying to kill this Algae in my tank.. well not kill it, but get it under control, it looks like grass, in one place where I cut it down about a week ago It grew back in a perfect flat top look.. haha, it looked kind of cool, but them I was pissed off because its growing in my prized pink zoas.. Not cool..

The great green hair algae battle....just think nutrients in have to go somewhere...either eaten by the fish, consumed by microfauna, or utilized by algae. Just have to figure out where the excess nutrients are coming from.

Looks great! I did not notice you had updated :( bettah late than nevah

I love this tank...so are you mainly doing all SPS?

Thanks. I had some zoas and other softies in the old BC but they were too encrusted on the rocks, which had the Neomeris on it, so I decided to ditch them. Well, they dwindled away and I sold the others.

It is all SPS right now but I NEED to get some zoas/palys/and maybe some sort of hammer, duncan, or frogspawn in here for some movement :)

Going to check it out now.

Not a whole lot of news to report on. Just motoring right along. Over the last two days I've been getting a significant amount of green algae growing on the glass. Probably the result of a soft cycle and the extra bioload from adding the clowns and firefish all at the same time.

Probably going to pick up some more snails tomorrow and also drop in a pouch of Chemipure Elite to help give the natural bacteria a chance to catch up.

Oh yeah, the cheato is growing like it's going out of style.

No big news...just added two turbo snails, 4 more ceriths, and a couple astreas this afternoon. Also a bag of ChemiPure Elite is hanging out in the fuge now. Hopefully the snails will get to work :)

Just wanted to post real quick.

Sometimes I have found myself over the last 2-3 years of reefing thinking about "I wish I had this" and "I wish I didn't have this" but I more often now find myself thinking about how awesome it is to have these corals in my house.

I am a pretty avid SCUBA diver and I find now better experience than diving and watching the small interactions on the reefs off of SC as well as the Keys. It is so cool to have it now in a little box in my room to watch and observe.

Often times we miss that this is in the end a hobby and we are keeping live creatures in our tanks. I feel happy to be able to afford to keep an aquarium now, something that I have dreamed about when I first got interested into marine biology. Although I wish that I dealt more with marine science, I am glad I have a job that I can help to preserve our living coasts.

Sorry for the soap box speech....just was staring at my tank, which is now in the computer room, and was thinking about how awesome it is to have stony corals growing and living in our condos/houses.

Hey Adam - I love the pics - nice update! The tank is really coming along and I love the backdrop color - good choice. I still have tons of baby snails, chitons, limpets, micro brittle stars, etc if you want more for your chaeto.

I'm thinking about calling Lin today to get some new zoas. I promised myself that I would not add anything else to my tank but I have a couple of spots that I want to fill in. She has great zoas and is local.

Keep the updates coming!

Hey Adam - I love the pics - nice update! The tank is really coming along and I love the backdrop color - good choice. I still have tons of baby snails, chitons, limpets, micro brittle stars, etc if you want more for your chaeto.

I'm thinking about calling Lin today to get some new zoas. I promised myself that I would not add anything else to my tank but I have a couple of spots that I want to fill in. She has great zoas and is local.

Keep the updates coming!

Thanks Karen. I might have to take you up on the offer of some more baby snails, chitons, limpets, and micro brittles....just haven't seen any in the tank although they could just be hiding and coming out at night.

What zoas did you get from Lin? I have never contacted here before but have seen her on the Charleston Reefers site.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am going through some pictures right now so hopefully I will have a February update here shortly. I have been getting some amazing growth on the birdsnest frag and the coloration of all of the frags are stunning. I'm still not sure if it's the flow, params, lighting, or a mix of all three. Either way, I'm really happy with how happy the corals are.

That said, I have been working up a SPS deal with brshriver so I will be getting some new frags after the 16th. Here is what I am planning on getting:

-Tri-color Acro

-Neon Green Tort

-Red Milli

-Green Milli

-Blueberry Nasuata Acro

-ORA Purple Plasma

Needless to say I can't wait. I haven't gotten any new SPS or corals in a while.

Pics to come later.....

Archived