Top Shelf Aquatics

4 Year Old 40 Breeder

GobyInPeace

Nice pipefish, looks just like mine. :)

I always wonder about it getting stung by corals as it swims over them, but yours seems to do the same, so I'm less worried.

Amazing tank! One of my favorites threads to come visit when I see an update :). I respect you passion and commitment for the hobby. I am really curious though for a certain piece for your equipment :blush: . The dirty stained glass cover on the top of your tank...what is that? It makes your tank look very clean and natural but it doesn't hide the reflection of the lights...beautiful stuff! Care to share? fingerscrossed

Thanks again for the kind words everyone!

Nice pipefish, looks just like mine. :)

I always wonder about it getting stung by corals as it swims over them, but yours seems to do the same, so I'm less worried.

The dragonface's seem to hold their own. Mine even slept in a candycane a few nights but now he just sleeps on the sand bed.

Amazing tank! One of my favorites threads to come visit when I see an update :). I respect you passion and commitment for the hobby. I am really curious though for a certain piece for your equipment :blush: . The dirty stained glass cover on the top of your tank...what is that? It makes your tank look very clean and natural but it doesn't hide the reflection of the lights...beautiful stuff! Care to share? fingerscrossed

Glad you have been enjoying the thread! I cut back a couple of corals and made a trade for a couple this week. I'll be posting an update on that in a few days. The panel you see is made from frosted/white acrylic. It is also the same material used for the splash shield fixed to the stand.

Your tank is amazing! Better than many I've seen running with all the latest high tech equipment.

I'm running a 75 gallon with no sump. You're my inspiration. Lol. :)

More pics!

Thanks again for the compliments guys! What a way to start the new year. I was quite surprised when Chris asked me to profile my tank. I am happy to know that many of you think it was a worthy choice.

As mentioned a few days ago I did some cutting back. I also decided to eradicate all the turquoise palys that were over-running some of my more colorful zoos.

The area inside the red circle was cut back and a couple of new corals were added:

Cutback01.jpg

The eradication was a success and I'd say that 98% of the invasive polyps have been removed! Many of them were chipped off the rock with a chisel. After cutting back I had 2 nice hammer frags and a lot of the plays available for trade with my LFS. There were also some orange zoas mixed in with the palys here and there. In return from the LFS I got a nice blue & green lobo with 5 mouths and some more of the pink polyps that I have down by the clam. I also got a 1 pound piece of cured LR. I'd say about 70% of the corals in my tank were acquired in this manner.

I used a large amount of super glue to extend a ledge with the new rock. I sometimes need to place an acrylic rod up against corals to hold them in place until the glue has hardened:

Rod.jpg

I am not going to allow any remaining turquoise polyps to get a foothold. Any that I see are removed quickly:

Snip.jpg

This surgeon's tool comes in real handy for anyone with a reef tank. I was lucky enough to have a friend of mine give me one as a gift for helping him out with his tank. It works great at ripping out the remaining polyps.

Snippers.jpg

I also found numerous zoas that were barely hanging on hidden beneath the overgrown plays. I placed these watermelons onto the new ledge. Some are already opening up again. The ledge should be completely covered with more colorful polyps in a couple of months:

BlueGreenLobo01.jpg

BlueGreenLobo02.jpg

I expect the lobo to expand quite a bit more in my tank. The frogspawn and hammer are also not fully expanded yet. I will post some pictures after that happens.

I would have paid for some of them things from you lol.I want in line for a frag of the deepwater frogspawn also when gets too big

i secon'd that!

OK you guys settle down now. :D

Jason I hope your pipe organ frag does well for you! I also kept a small frag for myself and the new corals are doing well. The lobo still needs to puff up a bit but the frogspawn and hammer are back to normal:

BlueGreenLobo04.jpg

Edited by GobyInPeace

Wow. :wub::bowdown:

Your tank is just absolutely incredible. Thanks so much for sharing. It is a joy just to look thru your pics!

I am just a lowly newb starting out and could learn a lot just from reading your posts.

If you ever have any frags (of anything!) that you "need to get rid of"...please look me up.

Thanks again!

I get that all the time. I don't even know what HDR is. I use a tripod and know how to set the camera pretty well. The camera is a Cannon PS A630. I have the white balance set to underwater and exposure is usually at 1/25. I have the color mode of the camera set to vivid. I do sharpen the images before resizing and use a free program for that. Anyways there are plenty of local reefers that can vouch for the authenticity of the colors. All of them will tell you the tank looks even better in person. I have a thread on RC where some locals had to step in and verify things. Most of the corals are different variations of greens. Its the red corals I collect that really give the tank some striking color. The bright blue background also makes the tank look more colorful.

Amazing Tank! I love that shade of blue you have for your background. Is that taped on the back? What is it?

Thanks!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the kind responses!

Amazing Tank! I love that shade of blue you have for your background. Is that taped on the back? What is it?

I spray painted the back of the tank with RustOleum Sky Blue. I used about 5 coats and did not spray too heavily with each coat.

I also have good news for my pipefish as he started taking baby brine today. I just squirted a cloud over the ball of chaeto he hangs out on and he started feeding on the stuff right away. I'd say he's grown a 1/2" or more so far and is looking much thicker.

Edited by GobyInPeace
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
GobyInPeace
I was wondering where you got the pipe organ from? I really would like to get some.

thanks

ps really lovely tank

Sorry this is so late but I basically just got lucky. When you order pipe organs from a wholesaler like I did you never know what kind of morph you will get. I am pretty sure the one you are talking about came from Fiji though.

GobyInPeace

Thanks man!

Well its been about 4 months since I posted up some pics. Not a lot has changed. I lost my last green chromie. It just vanished with-out a trace. My small orange and red acan frag really took off. When I got it last fall it only had 2 heads. I took the 2 heads and cut each of them in little pieces because I know acans can be tough. Today I have about 15 heads and a nice little colony going. My red chalice continues to grow nicely as well. Most of the last 4 months I have been just cutting things back and keeping an eye on warfare. My red lobo took a nice sting from my frogspawn but is recovering. I still really want some blue clove polyps but other than that I expect the tank to stay the same for some time ~ as long as all my corals continue to play nicely.

Here are some pics:

40G-03-09-02.jpg

40G-03-09-01.jpg

40G-03-09-03.jpg

40G-03-09-05.jpg

A couple of full tank shots are coming up next.