Innovative Marine Aquariums

Smash's 5.5 gallon AIO

ash71089

Woot Woot, good to see the frags didn't perish. I think corals and fish alike are given a lot less credit than they deserve in terms of being hardy. I was thinking earlier, when i set up my tank i put cold salt water into the tank that had the live rock in, and i had lots of hitch hikers survive and my cycle took days so i didn't have much die off.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
eddiecorrea

I like the frag. Thats a cool morph for sure. Now get that baby stocked!

That frag is awesome, when you frag let me know Im definitely interested.

May be awhile, but I will definitely let you know.

• 2 weeks later...
airman_verde04

Hey Ashley! Your tank looks like its coming along nicely! I was just surfing the Picos and found yours.. I have the same fixture and I'm going to use it for the Pico build I'm in the works designing.. I'll have to remember to check back on your tank!! Happy Friday!

• 3 months later...
I also have more zoas coming in probably wednesday or thursday from SeaLife

what is SeaLife. im from north alabama to and i just go to a store in athens for all my coral. kind of a far drive for me and my 2 friends. its called coral reef aquatics. ever heard of it ?

• 3 weeks later...
what is SeaLife. im from north alabama to and i just go to a store in athens for all my coral. kind of a far drive for me and my 2 friends. its called coral reef aquatics. ever heard of it ?

Sorry I haven't been on here in a long time. I am going to school at UAB now, so I've just been busy. But yeah coral reef aquatics is the only local place i go to and trust. the link to sealife is sealifeinc.net, their service is amazing. They don't have much of a selection but their shipping is cheap and they always include extras, so i highly recommend them

hey ash could you give me the dimentions of the 2 acrylic wall that you put in there...im doing a 5.5 after just upgrading to a 90... lol its an addiction!!

Just wanted to say hi from a fellow UAB student/nano reeefer!

I'm not enrolled right now, just work and catching up on bills, planning to go back next year when me and my fiancee get married (finally)

I have some threads linked in my sig but haven't updated in months...I may do it tommorrow

Nice to meet you!

-andy

• 2 weeks later...

well for a update, i had alot of aipstasia that have been in my tank for a long time so i finally bought joes juice and that fixed the problem right up.

nothing much has changed, I haven't added anything since the tank is home and I'm an hour away now. I do come home every other weekend and do a water change.

i want to do an ATO, that would make me feel a whole lot better about buying more frags, because i know my mom forgets to top it off sometimes.

• 2 years later...

So it's been almost 2 years since I took this down. I just got tired of fighting the apstatia. I have been thinking about putting this tank up again... I am a little rusty on everything, so I have been trying to read up. I still have all of the equipment from the first time, so that is what I'll use for now.

Is there a metal halide, that wouldn't be too much for a 5.5 gallon?

Rather then worry about the heat and hanging a halide high up to combat this problem, Do yourself a favor and go with an LED light, they have so many options now as compared to a few years ago even a D.I.Y. is fairly simple now and you can get a kit that requires no soldering from www.rapid led.com , also when you make this new pico carefully inspect each coral/rock you get and do not get any with aptasia or majano anemones if you try to kill one in your tank it literally spits itself out to make 50 more babies, i have shut down a nano once due to the same problem...my pico had ONE once...i removed the entire rock with coral and all and took it back to the store lol.........oh and welcome back Ashley :)

LED's are the way I'm going to go on my 5.5 AGA AIO. I was inspired by yours and Sanddeep's thread to try it. Can't wait! Rapidled has a nice plug and play 7 LED kit for like 70 bucks. Just add a heatsink and you're good to go. Welcome back btw!

as a fellow 5.5g aio

led's are the way to go. I spent $104 shipped on my 14 led kit from aquastyle online. IIRC another $30 on the fixture. 6 hours build time & viola, amazing light that will grow anything i want

sounds like LED's have gotten even more popular since I've been on here. I will definitely have to check it out! and they are a lot cheaper than halides.

As of right now, I just got accepted into nursing school, so I am trying to figure out if I will be moving or not in January.. starting the tank will depend on that, because I don't want to start it and then have to move it so early

sounds like LED's have gotten even more popular since I've been on here. I will definitely have to check it out! and they are a lot cheaper than halides.

As of right now, I just got accepted into nursing school, so I am trying to figure out if I will be moving or not in January.. starting the tank will depend on that, because I don't want to start it and then have to move it so early

congrats on being excepted. Nursing is one of those fields that you can go anywhere and get a great job.

• 3 weeks later...

so.. i have decided to go to a nursing school close to home.

only thing left is to get christmas shopping done.. and then ill be able to start the tank back up :)

there are a few things i want to get done before setting it up:

-DIY auto top off

-DIY LED fixture

-paint the side of the refugium/ cut a piece of black acrylic to cover it

Archived