ReefCleaners.org

Smash's 5.5 gallon AIO

ash71089

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not much other than the fact I painted the acrylic black, I knew I would regret it if i hadn't.

DSC04841.jpg

I know I was saying a long time ago that I was going to set it up, but now with the possibility of an RO/DI unit and refractometer for chirstmas I figured that I would wait.

I also bought a Maxi-Jet 600 and lunar light. Since I already had an order I also bought an acclimation kit, which was only like 3 dollars.

Hopefully the 600 will work, but if not it can mix water.

DSC04844.jpg

Looking great. What did you use to make the slits? Just curious as I use a band saw. And why did you take the acrylic to a shop to have it drilled? A standard bit does it just fine. I do it all the time. I really like the black acrylic look though.

Also not sure why you bought an acclimation kit. A piece of $0.10 airline tube with a Knot works excellent. But to each his own.

Im also gonna start this same build I think. I planned on getting the Tom's Deco but Im glad I didnt after seeing this.

Any updates on your tank?

I just did this build also. Finished it in under 24hrs. Its currently up and running and no cycle because I used all established sand, rock, and water. Im not very patient. The one thing Im waiting on is my 18" T5-HO lighting. Dang holidays!

Looking great. What did you use to make the slits? Just curious as I use a band saw. And why did you take the acrylic to a shop to have it drilled? A standard bit does it just fine. I do it all the time. I really like the black acrylic look though.

Also not sure why you bought an acclimation kit. A piece of $0.10 airline tube with a Knot works excellent. But to each his own.

Im also gonna start this same build I think. I planned on getting the Tom's Deco but Im glad I didnt after seeing this.

What we did was drilled a hole at the bottom of where i wanted the slits to end that was as wide as i wanted them to be, then we just drew lines from there and cut them with a jigsaw.

The reason I got the place to drill the hole, was to try and get as much done as i could without having my dad do it, because he is a lazy ass, but it just turned out to be more trouble than it was worth.

I bought an acclimation kit because IMO i thought it was more convenient and it was only like 2 bucks.

Yeah, i think the move on doing this build rather than the deco was a good move. Because the deco is acrylic it would scratch easy. And also with the 5.5 SAIO all of the equipment eye sores are eliminated.

I also bought the 18" T5HO lighting, i think that it will work great. From all of the pictures I have seen of it, i was still surprised to see how bright it was.

Oh I thought you were building it all yourself. But you had to wait on your lazy dad lol. In my rush to get mine done I forgot to cut the slits with my band saw! So I had to use a hot knife I heated in the wood stove. Doesnt look too bad but not nearly as good as it could have looked.

haha. if i wasnt so scared of using power tools i would be building it myself. Or it might be the fact that if he does something wrong i can blame him. lol

haha. if i wasnt so scared of using power tools i would be building it myself. Or it might be the fact that if he does something wrong i can blame him. lol

lol your not gonna get hurt by a wireless drill. But I do like the idea of blaming him.

haha you know how us women are, always trying to blame someone else. lol

By the way everyone, I'm not sure when I am going to get this thing done. hopefully soon, but im not promising anything.

i really want to get a refractometer and RO/DI unit before i start.

lol. I agree with the woman statement lol.

Well if your looking for a good RO/DI and Refractometer here are some links for stuff I have and would recommend.

RO/DI get the 50gpd unit

Refractometer and you dont need that calibration fluid they are trying to sell you. Just used distilled water.

I finally siliconed the tank yesterday

And i also ordered the mighty mite today, so a little closer to getting this baby running! :D

Mighty mite is a solid unit, I had very little experience with RO/DI units, and it was very easy to setup and started giving me 0 TDS water right away. Seems like a good idea to flush the unit for the first 4-5 gallons though, and you'll be ready to make pure water in no time! Keep us updated...

Yeah, i heard so many good reviews on the mighty mite. The fact that it is easy to set up and take down is one of the main reasons why i got it.

Well i did a test today and no leaks. And the teeth were big enough for the 600 to work. :) The flow looks great!

DSC04988.jpg

DSC04985.jpg

Yeah, i heard so many good reviews on the mighty mite. The fact that it is easy to set up and take down is one of the main reasons why i got it.

Well i did a test today and no leaks. And the teeth were big enough for the 600 to work. :) The flow looks great!

DSC04988.jpg

DSC04985.jpg

Looks good!

I wish I had painted the partition black!

Very nice. Its funny because I saw Sandeeps thread and had mine built and up and running less than 24hrs after reading it lol. I now have a gazillion pods and some nice rics in it.

I noticed that that you're from north Alabama and was just wondering where you're planning on going to school. If it is UA they allow up to 20 gallons and I'm almost positive Auburn allows them too.

Anyway, nice build so far; looks very professional.

Very nice. Its funny because I saw Sandeeps thread and had mine built and up and running less than 24hrs after reading it lol. I now have a gazillion pods and some nice rics in it.

I know haha, I'm such a procrastinator! ;)

I noticed that that you're from north Alabama and was just wondering where you're planning on going to school. If it is UA they allow up to 20 gallons and I'm almost positive Auburn allows them too.

Anyway, nice build so far; looks very professional.

I'm transferring to UAB this summer. I'm hoping to live in Blount Hall (not sure if you have any idea of what I'm talking about), but on their web site it says "No Pets (including fish)"

But i could act like a smart ass and tell them there aren't any fish in the tank. lol :lol:

EDIT: ROLL TIDE BY THE WAY!!

Thats what I would say. There arent any fish. Just a thing of water and some coral. But no fish.

Edit: Whats the worst they are going to do to you? They wont kick you out for a fish tank. They would be losing some serious cash if they did.

WOW! clean build!!! great surface adjatation, I think you are heading in the right direction.. FWIW, healthy softies and LPS love lots of flow when they get used to it

if your dorm ghives you a hard time, tell them they are plants LOL, most people call my corals plants anyways LOL

be careful with that moon light. that exact light caused this:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=1365112

DSC04844.jpg

Thats the Current USA light and the only way it can fall in the tank is if YOU attach it wrong. Screws dont just back themselves out.

Archived