SaltCritters.com

Smash's 5.5 gallon AIO

ash71089

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

does anyone have any ideas about dimensions? I am wanting to make a stand that the tank will go on long ways from the wall.

The tank dimensions are 16.5 x 8.3 x 10.6

Since the tank is so small anyways I worry about making the stand too tall, making it unstable. But i still want to be able to see it without having to lean down

ideas??

If you make a stand just make it with a wide base. That way you can go tall but still keep some stability. Congrats on getting into nursing school. It's hard work, my sister is doing it right now. Can't wait to see some progress on this tank.

If you make a stand just make it with a wide base. That way you can go tall but still keep some stability. Congrats on getting into nursing school. It's hard work, my sister is doing it right now. Can't wait to see some progress on this tank.

thanks, that's what everyone has been telling me, i'm excited though :D

i have been trying to read as much as possible on DIY ATO's and I think I'm more confused than when I started

I definitely want to do an air driven ATO but i've seen that shocking the tank is a possibility if I don't get the right pump..

Someone on here used a battery powered pump, is that the way to go?

Aqualifter all the way. That's what I used for my DIY ato and it works great. Has worked great for the last year with no issues. If you need any help with the ato I made mine and id be happy to help.

thanks jg, i'll be taking you up on that soon

i checked to see if my order from fosterandsmith had shipped and it says it will be here tomorrow

i was hoping to catch it so i could add the aqualifter, guess that didnt work out lol

but i did go ahead and order it so hopefully it will be here soon

tankstorage.jpg

i went to the storage building today and she was staring at me right when i opened the door :lol:

i am hoping that i will be able to build the stand this weekend #crossingfingers

here's a simple sketch of the stand..

Picture1.png

i might make a few more adjustments bc i may want it a little taller. right now it is 32" high

i wanted the stand to be very simple and modern in design.

i plan to make a false drawer, and a simple hinged cabinet that closes by magnets

i found out today that the LFS close to me lost everything after the tornadoes in April and didn't reopen.

We just got a new LFS about 40 minutes from here that I am going to check out.

Their live rock is 8.99 a pound.. what do you guys pay usually?

i was thinking about ordering rock from sealifeinc.net but am not sure that I want to deal with all of the macro algae

Looking good so far! Are you going to spray the back of the fuge area as well?

i plan to leave it clear.. that way i can see inside better and the chaeto will get a little extra light

i am placing it where that side will be close to the wall, so it won't be an eye sore B)

That ikea stand looks good!

:D i was really excited when I found it!

i am a little worried about it holding all of the weight, but i think it will be ok. I haven't ordered it yet.. i went through some of the checkout to see how much shipping would be and it said if i ordered it last night, it wouldnt be here until dec 26th :huh:

i'm putting the aquarium in our office.. and i had been planning on painting the room for a while.

So i also need to get that done before i set it up.

Other than painting the room and getting the stand... everything else is ready to go.

my aqualifter should be here wednesday, i still need to order the float switch though

• 1 month later...
:D i was really excited when I found it!

i am a little worried about it holding all of the weight, but i think it will be ok. I haven't ordered it yet.. i went through some of the checkout to see how much shipping would be and it said if i ordered it last night, it wouldnt be here until dec 26th :huh:

i'm putting the aquarium in our office.. and i had been planning on painting the room for a while.

So i also need to get that done before i set it up.

Other than painting the room and getting the stand... everything else is ready to go.

my aqualifter should be here wednesday, i still need to order the float switch though

Where does this stand (pun intended)?

Also, as far as weight goes, the tank will weigh what, 50lbs? It'll be fine.

ash,

Great tank you have going. I do have a couple questions for you. Are you still using the MJ400 pump? Also can I ask why you made the fuge area so large? It looks like you lost about 1/3rd of the display area.

Archived