Top Shelf Aquatics

Smash's 5.5 gallon AIO

ash71089

Justin_Freebords

trust me, your school wont be that hard. We arnt allowed anything but a microwave and fridge. We currently have a blender, rice cooker, microwave, toasteroven, and foreman grill. A cop let my friend in the room, walked right past all that stuff and all he said was "you should take out your trash".

moral of the story, theres no reason for them to inspect the room EVER and if they do they have to give you warning so dont worry too much about having a tank

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, I'm not worried at all about getting in trouble or getting a fine, I'm worried that I'll move it there, and then end up having to move it all back.

Thanks for letting me know about that, I'll make sure to secure it very well. And sorry for your loss, I would have been crying.

Both of you need to stop, k?

Nice tank, Ashley!

Thanks lalani!

Fast forwarding this a bit...what's on your livestock list?

Haha yeah,

1 Female Emerald Crab

1 Shrimp (Not sure which yet)

3 Blue Legged Hermits

2 Cerith Snails

2 Nassarius Snails

I did have one fish on there which was going to be a clown goby, but at this point, I don't think I'm going to add a fish at all.

Maybe another fancy crab like a porcelin or pom pom crab. But also not so sure about that either, lol

Sorry Ash. When I get attacked and called a "Noob" Im not gonna just stand back and take it.

But anyways. Do you really want hermit crabs? If your gonna get coral I would avoid them as they can be nasty little turds. Sometimes they wont eat corals and sometimes they will. You just never know until its too late.

sry, posts deleted

fish are tuff in small tanks. I grew SPS in my 7.5 (lots of cool DIY stuff here) but could not keep fish for more than a few months as hard as i tried

any coral?

I am constantly changing my mind on what corals I want. But I am obsessed with zoanthids, so I know there will be zoas. I'm planning on mostly soft corals. At one point I wanted GSP, but I think I have talked myself out of it because I don't want it to take over.

After the tank matures some, I will probably add some dendros and maybe one type of SPS to grow out for the centerpiece.

But anyways. Do you really want hermit crabs? If your gonna get coral I would avoid them as they can be nasty little turds. Sometimes they wont eat corals and sometimes they will. You just never know until its too late.

something to think about.. if i didn't get the hermits, what would be your suggestion on the CUC?

Thanks for letting me know about that, I'll make sure to secure it very well. And sorry for your loss, I would have been crying.

ty,

I actually was physically ill when my 12" LE Bennett tort RTNed... at that time bennett was going for $50/inch and I would not frag it because it was so beautiful.. I am silly like that, I have a 8" Miami hurricane that I won't frag either

Zoas are great, especially in small tanks. chalice and acans work well also. SPS are very tuff to keep because they can die so very fast from the smallest problem... if you do want a branching SPS, I have found the Oregon tort to be a very strong coral as SPS go, it is also a stunning cobalt blue and keeps it's color.. but they are expensive, grow slow and are hard to find

yeah, i was looking at your thread, and I loved the color of the Oregon Tort. If I didn't do a branching SPS, it is a possibility that I could add a small head of frogspawn. As you can see, I'm not fully sure. lol

yeah, i was looking at your thread, and I loved the color of the Oregon Tort. If I didn't do a branching SPS, it is a possibility that I could add a small head of frogspawn. As you can see, I'm not fully sure. lol

frogspawn is much better for a pico, they are very rewarding as they grow fast and add a lot of movement, you have a lot of flow which they do like and if you move to a bigger tank later, percs will host them

I came home from school today, and the mighty mite was waiting for me on the porch. :D

Nice!

On CUC I would go with a Emerald Mithrax or 2. They are great little workers. Also a fighting conch. They keep your sand stirred up along with your usual mix of snails.

I also bought a Maxi-Jet 600 and lunar light. Since I already had an order I also bought an acclimation kit, which was only like 3 dollars.

Hopefully the 600 will work, but if not it can mix water.

DSC04844.jpg

looks like you bite your nails.......................anyways, gsp are cool in a pico,

Awesome, just awesome, I have been waffling on this build or a 7g bowfront., I think i need to do this one. What kind of paint did you use on the acrylic divider? not worried about it leaching into the water. Once again, awesome. Tell your dorm monitor its a biology research project. :)

The paint I used for the divider was Krylon fusion, and it wont leach into the tank.

I put rock and sand in today :)

DSC05008.jpg

DSC05014.jpg

DSC05016.jpg

DSC05019.jpg

DSC05022.jpg

DSC05024.jpg

DSC05026.jpg

Ashley,

Your tank is really looking nice. Your choice of rock is kicking butt!!! I love the layout. Did you get any rubble for the refugium? I see you have a little tubeworm hitch hicker. I have a couple as well. Over the weekend my daughters found this little tiny starfish crawling around on my liverock!!!!

good start, just becuz alot of tanks have gsp doesnt mean that you cant add it, you may even wanna add a very small piece to a distant rock away from the main rocks then theres no way it can take over. keep in mind that gsp are beutiful pieces of coral. With the frogspawn, thats not original and I wouldnt reccomend it in a pico as it grows fast and takes up to much space, you should look into other lps and with sps I would go with a nice green plate imo. well check out my thread.

thanks everyone :D

gsp has not been ruled out yet

glad you said something about that, i was wondering about plate corals, cause they are one of my favorites, but i didnt know if they would get too big in a pico?

thanks everyone :D

gsp has not been ruled out yet

glad you said something about that, i was wondering about plate corals, cause they are one of my favorites, but i didnt know if they would get too big in a pico?

Well if you dont ever frag them they will get huge, lol

but if you keep an eye on them and frag them

here and there, then it will be fine.

Archived