Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My 20 Long Frag Tank New Pics 1/13

brian92

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i have a yellow coris wrasse in a 26 gal. it will be fine in your tank if its the only fish.

Thanks, if I go down to the LFS and they have one I'll probably pick one up, as they haven't had sixlines in a while.

What do you feed him? Do they really grow that big?

I'm pretty sure that yellow coris wrasses like having a SB to bury themselves in. I'm not positive that not having a SB will be a problem, but still something worth noting.

fwiw, I'm going with a 6 line in my frag tank.

both like the sb, but i have a sixline in frag tub that is bare bottom. they pretty eat alot of foods. rods, cyclopleeze, etc. I know that my sixline hides in one of the pvc legs on my rack at night.

Glenn you're right, I was worried about the sand bed. It all depends on whats in stock although the six line wrasse would be preferred if they have it.

DT thanks for the food info thats cool how your 6 line hides in the pvc

I decided to try to feed brine shrimp to the People Eaters on Acid and Red People Eaters. I just thawed them in tank water and squirted them at the polyps. I was surprised that the brine shrimp stuck to the disc of the PE's and then the People Eaters just closed up and engulfed the shrimp, some of them have bits of Brine shrimp sticking out.

Anyone have any ideas on whether its worth it to feed them? Does it really increase the growth rate?

I don't feed the zoas as I haven't observed any noticeable eating response from them like the people eater.

Brine is kind of a waste. No nutritional value. Mysis would be a better choice.

I have noticed that target feeding palys mysis and cyclopeze has made them grow a little faster. I also use Coral Frenzy too, and everything loves that.

Brine is kind of a waste. No nutritional value. Mysis would be a better choice.

I have noticed that target feeding palys mysis and cyclopeze has made them grow a little faster. I also use Coral Frenzy too, and everything loves that.

Thanks, I'll have to pick up some better food for them.

Other news,

I just paid for a paly/zoa frag pack with 2-3 polyps of all these

-stardust pes

-king midas

-Nuke Greens

-Purple Death

-Mohawks

-Rainbows

:happydance:omgomgomg:D

I know its not the best investment, but I like them and used the money I made from selling frags. Plus I'm tired of running around town selling $15 frags I think from now on I'd prefer putting packs together and shipping them, or selling fewer but nicer more expensive frags.

Bangin tank man!! Im super excited for it.... Let me know 1st when your making a frag pack to sell/trade. I picked up like 15 types of zoas last night.

hahahahah@pr0n spammerz.

Bangin tank man!! Im super excited for it.... Let me know 1st when your making a frag pack to sell/trade. I picked up like 15 types of zoas last night.

hahahahah@pr0n spammerz.

Thanks, I already have a frag of People Eater's on Acid with your name on it. I'll let you know when I get a frag pack ready, probably in about two months or so. On another note I just arranged a trade for 3 polyps of tub's blues for a polyp of my PEoA's.

I really hate how spammers hit my thread twice in two days, am I being targeted? or does this happen alot?

This is the first time Ive seen a spammer on here :P maybe you are cursed? haha...

I just made a zoa rock out of like 17 frags I got last night, I cant wait to see it open :P

I just made a zoa rock out of like 17 frags I got last night, I cant wait to see it open :P

Awesome idea. Be careful though I was reading that one type of zoa usually takes over all the other ones and dominates the rock. It would be a good idea to keep each type in check by cutting them when they get too close. Can't wait to see it. Would you ever want to do a trade for some zoa frags?

key to your frag tank is trying to find corals that will grow quick. Thats a nice little zoa pack to start out with.

That pretty good makes sense, the PEoA's I got from Makai seem to be growing really quickly. The RPE's are growing but just not as ridiculously as fast. I can't wait to start growing out the zoa pack! It's gonna be shipped next monday though.

Awesome idea. Be careful though I was reading that one type of zoa usually takes over all the other ones and dominates the rock. It would be a good idea to keep each type in check by cutting them when they get too close. Can't wait to see it. Would you ever want to do a trade for some zoa frags?

I cut stuff from my tank about twice a week... Im always monitoring it.

I cut stuff from my tank about twice a week... Im always monitoring it.

Good plan, can't wait to see it!!!

I figure I should share my plans for the future of this tank. My plan was to set it up as a prop tank over the summer because I have found it easier to maintain and stuff full of corals. At around February I'd like to see it back as a display tank, but as we know nothing ever goes as planned. The idea for the Display tank is this, I want to grow out the nice zoas and palys I have and the ones I'm getting. The rockwork will be a half circle cliff line of rocks. The zoas and palys will be placed on the rocks and in the middle of the half circle of rockwork on the sand my true dream coral a Scolymia. Hopefully I won't have any fish in the tank, I'll have to find a home for the clown. From now on most of the money I make from selling the corals I frag will be put towards getting a huge scolymia.

A huge scoly just like this one!!!

http://totm.aquariumpros.ca/TOTM/images/Pa...ymia_eating.jpg

I use API kits for cal, alk, and nitrate. When tested with Salifert, the numbers are always very close to my API numbers, and I think the API tests are easier and faster to use (not to mention cheaper). The API phos test is probably a waste of money unless your phos is REALLY high - it will be useless for testing phos in the low range.

HTH,

Anna :)

^ Thanks

I found a 1 inch nudibranch!!! Its grey and was on the glass presumably eating algae. Its grey has kind of a large bump on its back and was a mottled grey. I'll try to get a pic.

Friend or Foe?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Anyone have any nudibranch ID threads?

Turned the lights off and killed the big nudi, It looked like a sea hare but I don't want a nudi in my tank.

Just posted a frag pack on my local reef site, What does everyone think about the price?

-1 polyp frag of Makai's People Eater's on Acid (originally obtained from Makai)

-1 polyp frag of True Red People Eaters

-15 polyp frag of Fire in the Skys

-10 polyp frag of Radioactive Dragon Eyes

-6 polyp frag of Eagle Eyes

$60 pick up

Got a decent shot the Cespitularia, It's an ok coral but its 90 bucks for a small frag at Live Aquaria thats crazy! I got two 3" frags of it in a trade for some small zoa frags.

100_0838.jpg

The three frag packs I made up are taken already so I should be able to get that scolymia or 2-3 Maximas as the centerpiece for when I switch it back to a display tank after christmas.

I also have Makai's RPE's and PEOA's and I have found that I get great growth if I spot feed mysis soaked in selcon, I have gotten 3 new polyps on the RPE's and 2 on the PEOA's in less than a month. FWIW

Do corals grow fast enough to make it profitable to keep a 20L frag tank? Right now I've only got a couple of corals and I've only had them about a week so I have no first hand experience.

I also have Makai's RPE's and PEOA's and I have found that I get great growth if I spot feed mysis soaked in selcon, I have gotten 3 new polyps on the RPE's and 2 on the PEOA's in less than a month. FWIW

My frag of PEOA's went from 8 to about 13 pol. Thanks polyps in about month, the RPE's seems to grow a little slower for me I have 5 polyps on the frag that are just making it to adult size, I spot fed brine shrimp but I need to get some mysis because its better. Thanks for the tip.

Do corals grow fast enough to make it profitable to keep a 20L frag tank? Right now I've only got a couple of corals and I've only had them about a week so I have no first hand experience.

Define profitable, i've put over a thousand dollars into my tank I lost count how much exactly :lol: . I use this tank to propagate corals and get the money I paid for them back and then some to buy more corals. So its profitable if you pull it off right, but I think that it would take a while to make your money back on the whole system itself. If I were you I'd focus on getting some nice zoa colonies and some palys(not high end stuff) and other nice looking corals that aren't hard to take care of. I've noticed that things like that sell alot faster than any sps frags I've seen for sale locally. It also depends on your market too.

Archived