Cultivated Reef

My 20 Long Frag Tank New Pics 1/13

brian92

I just converted my old display tank into a frag tank. I hope to prop some Zoas, rare palys, an acan or two, some rics.

PropTank.jpg

TopPropTank.jpg

Top down shot it looks weird but I didn't use flash or anything

bestzoas.jpg

Zoomed

propzoom.jpg

Stats

Aqua C Nano remora

150W Coral life pendant with XM 20K

10g sump with Eheim return pump (haven't filled it up yet too lazy)

Koralia 2

What does everyone think?

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know if it would be worth it to swap out the Clown and get a sixline wrasse to control pests?

I have heard they are used in prop tanks to eat flatworms, nudis, and clam parasite. Is this true?

I like it!

I may be setting up something very similar pretty soon.

Thanks!

Good luck in setting it up. What are you planning on fragging in it?

I like it!

I may be setting up something very similar pretty soon.

Well, at least you have the frags....LOL

sorry dude, I couldn't resist.

brian, nice tank, sorry for the hijack.

Thanks!

Good luck in setting it up. What are you planning on fragging in it?

mostly stuff from my 40g. I reaaaaaalllllly hate having frag racks in my display. That's why i'm setting up the 20L for the extra clippings.

I will also keep an eye out for the occasional diamond in the rough at the local LFS. I don't have any more room in my 40g, but I would love to find another nice large zoa colony that i can buy cheap and frag up. I'll also probably invest ina small colony of nuclear greens. Those things seem to do pretty well for just about everybody, and they always bring a little $$$.

I will also keep an eye out for the occasional diamond in the rough at the local LFS. I don't have any more room in my 40g, but I would love to find another nice large zoa colony that i can buy cheap and frag up. I'll also probably invest ina small colony of nuclear greens. Those things seem to do pretty well for just about everybody, and they always bring a little $$$.

Thats my plan for this tank, cherry pick a few nice colonies of zoas over time, get about 15 multicolor rics and frag those up, haven't really planned any further than that. Nuke greens do sound like a good idea to consider.

Those tanks look nice. I like the ric idea. They always seem to be in demand and one of the more colorful corals IMO. Im actually looking to find a nice yellow and pink ric soon.

Alright I'm thinking of either going to the LFS in Boston and seeing if they have any good $45 zoanthid colonies I got a decent colony of RDE's and EE's from them in the pictures above but I'm not sure if they'll have any worth while stuff So I as thinking of getting a colony or two from the Live Aquaria Diver's Den.

What does everyone think of any of these colonieS, I need some input

A. http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemD...&ddid=50620

I really like this one alot, its a little pricey but I think frags would be really populary. Crazy pink colors.

B. http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemD...&ddid=50616

Good colony cool red skirt, but kinda boring in the center.

C. http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemD...&ddid=49905

Thes\e are cool too

While some of those zoos are really pretty, I'd never pay that much for them. Pickup some cheap frags and just grow them out. People on here, and other forums sell them all the time. Also check CraigsList, I know in my area I see people selling frags for $5-10 all the time. Zoos and pallies ship easily so there is less risk of them getting harmed in the process.

Why pay $100's when you can pay $10's, wait for several months and have the same $100 pieces? All you are paying for is time. And in this hobby, its all about sitting back and watching things grow. Remember, they are all the same type of animal, just different morphs and color variations. Once color should not cost any more than other colors IMO.

Looking at that Zomaina link... those 5zoo 10 packs seem to be a decent price based purely on variety. You can sit back and watch those grow, then frag them out and have 10 different ones you can frag and trade/sell instead of just one big one you paid an arm and a leg for initially.

I bought 8 zoo frags for $60 at a local store a couple months back (all different colors, even the nuke greens everyone goes nuts over) and they have all doubled or tripled already.

Looks good so far.

I'll probably be talking to you about getting a couple frags in a couple weeks since your local.

What do you have for Zoas right now?

Went to the LFS and got a big red zoanthid colony and a plating hydnophora coral. Unfortunately I had no idea it was an SPS coral. I thought it was a LPS it has big sweepers like galaxea and I'll admit it was impulse. I feel like a noob for not knowing it was sps lol.

Pics later

Went to the LFS and got a big red zoanthid colony and a plating hydnophora coral. Unfortunately I had no idea it was an SPS coral. I thought it was a LPS it has big sweepers like galaxea and I'll admit it was impulse. I feel like a noob for not knowing it was sps lol.

Pics later

What LFS did you go to?

I'm trying to decide upon ordering a 10 pack of rics or getting some more zoa colonies. Also I picked up some Boston AquaFarms frag plugs so I should be doing some fragging real soon, I'll get some pics when I frag some stuff.

What does everyone think of the red zoas? Do they have a name?

Thanks everybody,

The LFS said instead of a sixline wrasse for nudi and flatworm control I should get a yellow coris wrasse, they are pretty knowledgeable and know my tank is a 20 long. I looked on Live aquaria and its says 30g minimum but it gets 4-6". I don't really want one just wandering if people really keep yellow coris wrasse in smaller tanks?

Archived