inTank Media Baskets

My 20 Long Frag Tank New Pics 1/13

brian92

Define profitable, i've put over a thousand dollars into my tank I lost count how much exactly :lol: . I use this tank to propagate corals and get the money I paid for them back and then some to buy more corals. So its profitable if you pull it off right, but I think that it would take a while to make your money back on the whole system itself. If I were you I'd focus on getting some nice zoa colonies and some palys(not high end stuff) and other nice looking corals that aren't hard to take care of. I've noticed that things like that sell alot faster than any sps frags I've seen for sale locally. It also depends on your market too.

I wouldn't be worried about paying off the rest of the system, but at least pay for the coral I buy and quickly. Like I just bought my first couple pieces of coral so I don't know how quickly the stuff grows.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't be worried about paying off the rest of the system, but at least pay for the coral I buy and quickly. Like I just bought my first couple pieces of coral so I don't know how quickly the stuff grows.

That's what I do, the first time I fragged a coral it was a colony of RDE and Eagle Eyes I bought at the store for $45 over about two months I cut 1/4 of the colonies into 15 frags to pay for that coral I bought and then get some more. Basically it depends on what you buy, if you buy small frags of common zoas don't expect to be fragging and selling much, but if you find something a big piece of something nice you could get lucky and propagate and frag it to back for the price of the coral. For me it has worked out great, fragging allows me to pay for some nice corals might not otherwise be able to justify and pass on the deal to others.

Well for instance, if you want to get a nice sized colony to keep some in your display and then frag off the rest, how many polyps do you aim for? (Talkin about zoas here)

Well for instance, if you want to get a nice sized colony to keep some in your display and then frag off the rest, how many polyps do you aim for? (Talkin about zoas here)

For zoas I try to buy a nice 150-200 polyp colony for about $45 to $60 then I let it settle in for a few weeks, I then frag anywhere from 6-9 5 polyp frags, grow them out until they get to 10-20 polyps, and sell them for $1 a polyp. So I end up with around a 100+ polyps usually. But keep in mind you shouldn't just pick any zoa colony I try to get in the store right when they get new colonies in so that I can cherry pick a few nice ones.

Right. Down here all the LFS' sell brown whack polyps. If they have nice ones, they sell them for $5+/polyp. I just got a badass deal from a shop that is closing down for $0.80/polyp for some purple and green and orange and yellow polyps. I only got 25 of the purples and 15ish of the oranges though.

If there were decent colony of polyps that had 100-120 of them it would sell for $100-200 unless they were those micro sized polyps.

Thanks for the input though man :)

Right. Down here all the LFS' sell brown whack polyps. If they have nice ones, they sell them for $5+/polyp. I just got a badass deal from a shop that is closing down for $0.80/polyp for some purple and green and orange and yellow polyps. I only got 25 of the purples and 15ish of the oranges though.

If there were decent colony of polyps that had 100-120 of them it would sell for $100-200 unless they were those micro sized polyps.

Thanks for the input though man :)

No problem, try out the Live Aquaria Diver's Den, they have great colonies of all nice stuff. It might cost a bit extra initially to get them but they could pay for themselves after a bit of fragging.

Ey Brian, check out these Paly's I got today:

palys2.jpg

They are so awesome.

:eek: Wow! Awesome find!!! Palys with a "structure" and colorationare what I always look for. LMK when you're gonna frag them and maybe we could do a trade. I want them!Did you get them at the LFS?

Yep, got them at the LFS. I think I grossly underpaid though. Paid ~$2.50/polyp and got a couple of cool polyp hitchhikers on it too. Any idea what these are normally worth?

Yep, got them at the LFS. I think I grossly underpaid though. Paid ~$2.50/polyp and got a couple of cool polyp hitchhikers on it too. Any idea what these are normally worth?

Never seen them before so I couldn't tell you how much they're worth. So pretty much they're worth what people are going to pay for them. Try a zoa id forum like Reef2reef and if they are unnamed you couldprobably name them whatever you want. I th.ink they are real nice and so will alot of other people will too.

My paly/zoa frag pack arrived!!! I'm temp acclimating right now, the bags are a chilly 69 degrees!!! So I'm a little worried about them making it. But I have some confidence in the resilience of zoas and palys.

Pics when I'm done

69F is nothing dude, they will be fine!

Thanks that's good to hear! I usually never check the temperature on stuff when it comes in, so when I did check it I was a little surprised.

Oh dude, check out these zoas I got the other day:

eagleeye.jpg

The ones front and center.

Building up a pretty nice collection.

Nice greens ones, they look like a little like Radioactive Dragon Eyes but with a different skirt and really nice colors.

NEED FRAGS!!!!!!!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hahah wait another month or two and I'll have some frags for you. In two weeks I'm getting another pack in the mail, to give you a preview it has Green People Eaters omgomgomg

Any updates on the frag pack?

By the way, quick side question. Those paly's I've got has 14 heads and about 5-6 babies starting to poke out. I'm wondering, in your experience, how quick do the little babies turn into full fledged adults?

Any updates on the frag pack?

By the way, quick side question. Those paly's I've got has 14 heads and about 5-6 babies starting to poke out. I'm wondering, in your experience, how quick do the little babies turn into full fledged adults?

Well some of the stuff has opened and are looking well, but the Mohawk palys are a little mad. We'll see how it turns out. As for growth rate of new palys, it depends on the type but I noticed it takes around two weeks for most of my palys new growths to go from bumps to full polyps. They take a little longer to reach full adult size, spot feeding mysis shrimp to each polyp should also increase growth.

Will the polyps close up to eat? The other day I used some tweezers to put a piece of mysis ontop of one of the paly's. It cupped the mysis (probably because I touched it and it got scared). I kept the pumps off for a while to ensure the piece didn't float away. I watched for a good 5-10 minutes and didn't really notice it doing anything. I turned the pumps back on and checked back about 20 minutes later and it was gone. Not sure if the clown took it or the paly ate it.

Will the polyps close up to eat? The other day I used some tweezers to put a piece of mysis ontop of one of the paly's. It cupped the mysis (probably because I touched it and it got scared). I kept the pumps off for a while to ensure the piece didn't float away. I watched for a good 5-10 minutes and didn't really notice it doing anything. I turned the pumps back on and checked back about 20 minutes later and it was gone. Not sure if the clown took it or the paly ate it.

The palys I have engulf the food just like when they close, they usually have a bit of mysis sticking out. When I come back in about twenty minutes they are open with a tiny bit of mysis sticking out of their green mouths. Feeding responses depend on the paly type some eat some might not, I'd say try feeding them again.

Thanks dude, I'll try and feed them again tomorrow.

Are duncans worth getting? Do they grow fast enough to warrant the space in a frag tank?

I don't keep duncans because I don't like them as much as palys, and after looking into it a few people pointed out that the market has become oversaturated with duncans and prices have really dropped.

Gotcha, thanks for the help, I'm sure I'll come up with more questions sooner or later (probably sooner).

Edit: Wow that was fast.. When shipping frags, what is usually the policy on specimens that die during shipping? I'm sure it varies from seller to seller but what is the norm? I haven't ever bought anything living (save for chaeto) online.

Archived