SaltCritters.com

JDigital's 75G "No-Powerhead" Tank Build.

JDigital

you bastard!!! :Domgomgomg

i want pics already!!!

:lol: ... Thanks!

I've quoted some of my posts from my build thread on a Canadian Reef Forum I am on... Maybe I should start one here??

Anyways:

Been doing some work on the tank stand these last few days... Unforetunately I picked up some uneven piece's of 2x6 so I have been having a few headaches getting it level and straight... It's close, but needs some shimming.:lol:

The center posts will be added after I get my sump area layed out.. I plan to fit a 40G Breeder, 20G Fuge, 20G return tank, and ATO reservoir, and 1x Sequence Snapper and 1x Dart or Hammerhead.. haven't decided yet..

Eitherway, this stand isn't a finished project by any means... but does add life to the thread. :cheer2::boink:

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

As you can see the back right corner is a bit high, this is due to a warped 2x6... It flattens out easy enough when there is weight, but I plan to fix it correctly.

IMG_0260.jpg

This gives you an idea of how wide the tank will be.. :mrgreen: 36"... Aquascaping heaven!

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

So after some serious re-consideration, I am scrapping the Peninsula part of this tank. The room just doesn't work well enough to incorporate the tank properly, and I think in the end it would look very out of place where I was originally planning to have it.

This means the tank design has been edited. It will be 2 sides viewable (1 long (60") side, and the short (36":lol: ) end). This change in design might allow me to run Starfire on both viewing panels, I'll have to get an update on the cost. The 2nd long side will now become the back of the tank where I will run 2 of the 4 return lines from my closed loop, the other 2 will still come up through the floor and be hidden underneath the rock work. Overflow will stay at the end of the tank, no real changes there, other than adding my sump return line up through the overflow box. So I will have water returning through 3/5 panels of the tank. :mrgreen:

I will also be incorporating a 20-25G viewable refuge at the end of the stand (down where the mitre saw is sitting in the pics).

Couple pics to give you an idea of where the tank will be sitting now. My 75G is directly behind me from where I took the pics.

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

That's all I can think of for now for an update.

Had a few days off work this weekend and made some progress on the stand and refugium area.

I had attempted to cut out my refuge window with a jigsaw, unfortunately it wasn't capable of locking in the blade dead straight so I had to try and cut it free hand, and due to my shaky hands ended up having a very wavy cut.. :lol: Thank goodness I have a steadier hand with my camera.

trim.jpg

trim2.jpg

trim3.jpg

Not wanting to have such an ugly edge as the frame of my refuge, I decided to add some trim pieces around the window this afternoon. Certainly made a huge difference and I am definitely pleased with the outcome.

trim4.jpg

Aside from the framing I got my Aquacontroller Jr mounted, it will be sunk in to the stand skin to avoid getting bumped during maintenance or other unknown reasons. I also mounted the DC8 power bar above the the refuge well away from where the sump will be.

acjr.jpg

dc8.jpg

You can see in the pictures I also drilled the drain bulkhead in my refuge which will return water to the sump. My Snapper return pump will be T'd off to feed the refuge with a 3/4" line, and 1.5" back to the display tank.

Refuge lighting is an Aquamedic Oceanlight 4x24W T5 unit and will be running 2 6500K midday bulbs, 1 Reef Blue and 1 Fiji Purple.

And a quick shot of the refuge window with lights on, right now it has 2 10K and 2 Fiji Purples. Still need to paint the background for the refuge tank so you won't be able to see into the sump area, I'm thinking a Cream White or Light blue, haven't decided yet.

refuge.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The clowns were going mental in their Torch after feeding lastnight.. :lol: Decided to whip out the camera, and kinda got carried away..

clownsbeingclowns2.jpg

kushagain.jpg

Cleaner Shrimp out and about... Stupid thing doesn't clean my fish at all.. but eats like a pig... :P

IMG_0572.jpg

And some top down coral photos... I don't do much top down shooting because its a pain in the ass to do with my closed canopy.. -_-

IMG_0593.jpg

I'm pretty sure this has become my favorite piece of SPS...

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

AWESOME tank!!! Very nice pictures. What Kind of camera do you use?

Thanks banana.. I use a Canon 40D w/ Canon 60mm f/2.8 Macro.

Just wondering, but what size is that sump?

I'm trying to redesign my sump on my 75gallon!

Its a 54G 36x18x20... I think it's a Marineland tank.. :)

Awesome pictures, you have some fine photography skills.

Thanks Water! :lol:

Took some more this weekend.. Here's the first batch... Next batch coming soon (whenever I get around to them)..

Also changed my MH bulbs this weekend... I switched from the Ushio 14K's to the Ushio 20K's... Taking a bit to get use to the change, but I think I will prefer it over time. We'll see! :biggrin:

IMG_0088.jpg

From the Red Coral Frag Sale:

IMG_0087.jpg

Been eyeing this Favia at Red Coral for quite awhile... Finally picked it up:

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

Coral Master "Killer Cerealis" Frag...

IMG_0076.jpg

Not sure what this is.. but I'm excited to see how it grows:

IMG_0075.jpg

Another Coral Master Frag "Skyberry Stag"

IMG_0074.jpg

Nice!!! I love this tank :D

Thanks Envy... I added a couple Zoa frags today, so will have to get some pics of them up when they open for me... Really nice ones..

• 2 weeks later...

Whoohoo!! 10,000+ views.. haha

Some new pics.

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

And this one is a 100% crop from ^^^ that pic..

fullcrop.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived