Innovative Marine Aquariums

JDigital's 75G "No-Powerhead" Tank Build.

JDigital

Great pictures of great fish!

you've got alot of YELLOW fishes!

This tends to happen in a lot of tanks. I have 10 fish (I think) and all but 2 (sixline, blue/green chromis) have yellow on them.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great pictures of great fish!

Thanks skillz!

So I added some new lighting to my tank today... :D I've added a 2x54W retro kit to supplement my MH's (Ushio 14K). I am running the 2x54W Hagen GLO retro ballast with TEK2 T5 Retro Reflectors, and I went with the Giessemann Actinic+ and the Giessemann True Actinic for bulb choices.

Pretty impressed with the look of them when the halides are off, will have to wait till tomorrow to see how they look with the halides on. :D

Anyways, a couple Actinic photos for you guys... (Sorry, I REALLY suck at actinic photography, still working to get the right "white" balance...) :blush:

VOILA!!!!!!! :haha::happydance:omgomgomg

Actinicson.jpg

ActFTSmar2.jpg

alienfrecact1.jpg

greenacroact1.jpg

gspact1.jpg

specKact1.jpg

tongasact1.jpg

tricolor2act1.jpg

tricoloract1.jpg

zoasact1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

There is a discussion on another forum I am on, regarding the best 2 bulb T5 combo for supplemental light. Seeing how I just added supplemental lighting to my system yesterday, I posted this FTS comparison for them, and figured I would add it to my thread here just to give everyone an idea of the difference.

I shot these with IDENTICAL camera settings.

My Lighting Info:

Metal Halides: Bulbs - Ushio 14K (5 months old) powered by a Galaxy Electronic Ballast w/ Lumenmax3 Reflectors.

T5's: Bulbs - 1x Giessmann Actinic+ & 1x Giessmann True Actinic powered by Hagen GLO Retro Ballast w/ TEKII Retro Reflectors.

ComparisonFTS.jpg

As you can see, a dramatic difference. Even more than I was expecting, but it actually provided me with the color I was hoping to get.

reefman225gal

Man once this baby gets filled in you're gonna have a really nice reef. May the ''Reef Gods'' be with you. :)

The actinics make it look so much better imo

Yea I agree... it's given me the color I wanted for the tank. Everything has been responding very well too.

Man once this baby gets filled in you're gonna have a really nice reef. May the ''Reef Gods'' be with you. :)

hahah.. Thanks, I need faster growth.. :lol:

I never realised just how yellow the 14k Ushio looks on its own until that... dang.

Me neither really.. haha, I never complained about the color of my 14K's before yesterday.. now I don't think I could ever go 10K..

Me neither really.. haha, I never complained about the color of my 14K's before yesterday.. now I don't think I could ever go 10K..

Thanks, now I'm having second thoughts about whether or not I need supplemental lighting to go with a pair of 14000K Geisemanns :P Ahhhh, I guess I'll see on the day eh?

EDIT: Screw that, I just found I can actually get the XMs like I wanted so that's not really a problem now...

So I have been starting to plan for the future...

I went into Red Coral Aquarium (my LFS) and dropped off a tank design for a quote. This picture is missing a few holes, specifically, the 2x2" overflow holes, 2x 1-1/2" returns thru the floor, and 6x 1" CL holes in the floor. The only hole I did add will be for the CL intake. It was my first time using this design program, so took it easy. As you can see the glass thickness is a bit out of wack.. haha.

I am planning this now as it would probably take the rest of the year to get "built" (stand, plumb, purchase gear, etc). It is my planned upgrade for the 75G, as long as the price is right. :lol:

Tank Dimensions: 60"x36"x20"

Tank Volume: 187G

theupgrade.jpg

Damnnnnn, that looks like it'll be a sweet tank :) What made you decide on that style for the overflow?

Well, first off, I modified that overflow again today so I can eliminate the Sump returns through the floor, and I am going to narrow the overflow from 36" (full width) to 24", So i have 6" on either side of the overflow for my sump returns. I wanted them higher in the tank to avoid a catastrophe if the power goes out.

The reason I decided to go with the angled style is so I would have a space for my closed loop intake high enough off the sand bed (the only hole in that design pic).. Plus I hope it will help is keeping detritus from settling on the bottom (of a traditional flat bottom style overflow), that's the idea anyways.

The tank with be 3 sides viewable as well so no plumbing can be drilled on any other panel.. ;)

Beautiful tank!! Your photography is just breathtaking..... :blush:

Thanks hazmat... I appreciate the kind words! :)

Well, first off, I modified that overflow again today so I can eliminate the Sump returns through the floor, and I am going to narrow the overflow from 36" (full width) to 24", So i have 6" on either side of the overflow for my sump returns. I wanted them higher in the tank to avoid a catastrophe if the power goes out.

The reason I decided to go with the angled style is so I would have a space for my closed loop intake high enough off the sand bed (the only hole in that design pic).. Plus I hope it will help is keeping detritus from settling on the bottom (of a traditional flat bottom style overflow), that's the idea anyways.

The tank with be 3 sides viewable as well so no plumbing can be drilled on any other panel.. ;)

Ah yes, it all makes sense. Good luck with it, here's hoping the beauty of this tank carries over :D

that's quite an amazing tank, hopefully one day I might have something like that LOL, it's nice to dream, but I'm just starting up in Calgary and was wondering what your thoughts were on the LFS around here, I went to red coral last night and got alot of questions answered, ocean city and gold aquariums seem all right too but I think I'll stay away from big al's for livestock, they tried to sell me a sand dollar after 1 month for a 15g with only 10 Lbs of sand I would appreciate the opinion of someone around here who obviously knows what they're doing

that's quite an amazing tank, hopefully one day I might have something like that LOL, it's nice to dream, but I'm just starting up in Calgary and was wondering what your thoughts were on the LFS around here, I went to red coral last night and got alot of questions answered, ocean city and gold aquariums seem all right too but I think I'll stay away from big al's for livestock, they tried to sell me a sand dollar after 1 month for a 15g with only 10 Lbs of sand I would appreciate the opinion of someone around here who obviously knows what they're doing

Hey! Nice to see a local on this board!

I am pretty bias for the LFS's here in calgary... I buy 97% of my stuff from Red Coral (Kevin and Doug are stellar guys to talk to and learn from)... Ocean City for the other 3%.. Was only at Gold's once and never liked it... Personal reasons for not shopping at Wai's and Elite Aquatics. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Spent a good amount of time at my local LFS this afternoon, 1) Drooling over some new livestock, 2) debated about bringing home this.

aquacontroller.jpg

After about 2.5 hours of drooling and thinking, I ended up bringing it home. The full package I got consists of the following.

- Aquacontroller Jr Base Unit

- Direct Connect 8 (DC8) Unit

- Temp. Probe

- pH Probe

- PC Serial Interface Cable (which I hope to rig up to hook to my Macbook)

Hoping I can get this setup today and tomorrow before I go back to work for 2 weeks.

Huge Thanks to Kevin @ Red Coral! He really knows how to take care of his customers! :lol:

Spent a good amount of time at my local LFS this afternoon, 1) Drooling over some new livestock, 2) debated about bringing home this.

aquacontroller.jpg

After about 2.5 hours of drooling and thinking, I ended up bringing it home. The full package I got consists of the following.

- Temp. Probe

- pH Probe

Hoping I can get this setup today and tomorrow before I go back to work for 2 weeks.

Huge Thanks to Kevin @ Red Coral! He really knows how to take care of his customers! :lol:

What're you looking at controlling off of the ACjr? It's an awesome unit, from everything I've heard about it. =]

What're you looking at controlling off of the ACjr? It's an awesome unit, from everything I've heard about it. =]

Well since I got a 187G build in the near future, this is more for that system, but I will fire it up on this tank to mainly run my lighting, refuge lighting, heaters, perhaps the single powerhead I had to add. Ca Reactor maybe, CO2 injector to possibly to keep pH in check.. I'm still debating between a dosing pump and reactor..

It's got some really great features for light timing and simulating yearly lighting cycles and moon cycles (might get some coral and fish spawning as a result). Also controls temperature to simulate the yearly temperature changes of the water. Some pretty cool stuff to help make it more natural. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Well since I got a 187G build in the near future, this is more for that system, but I will fire it up on this tank to mainly run my lighting, refuge lighting, heaters, perhaps the single powerhead I had to add. Ca Reactor maybe, CO2 injector to possibly to keep pH in check.. I'm still debating between a dosing pump and reactor..

It's got some really great features for light timing and simulating yearly lighting cycles and moon cycles (might get some coral and fish spawning as a result). Also controls temperature to simulate the yearly temperature changes of the water. Some pretty cool stuff to help make it more natural. :)

Aye, the AC line have awesome functionality when it comes to their lighting control. I'm kinda frustrated because they're not made for the Australian market and about the closest thing you can get is a Profilux which is about $500 more expensive in relative pricing points...

Love this tank! I can live vicariously through your tank pictures while my 75 sits waiting to get wet.

aquacontroller.jpg

- Temp. Probe

- pH Probe

witch seup is that? im looking around online to buy one and the ones that include the DC8 doesn't say anything about a PH probe.....it comes with??

or are the temp/ph in one probe?

witch seup is that? im looking around online to buy one and the ones that include the DC8 doesn't say anything about a PH probe.....it comes with??

or are the temp/ph in one probe?

pH probe and PC serial cable were seperate/extra.. This kit was the AC Jr, DC8, Temp Probe. :)

so did you set it up yet???

thoughts? reviews?? i have a bit of extra money and i wanted one to run my RSM....lemme know how it is

so did you set it up yet???

thoughts? reviews?? i have a bit of extra money and i wanted one to run my RSM....lemme know how it is

Nope, I haven't set it up yet... Holding off until I get my new tank running.. ;) 187G of goodness!

Nope, I haven't set it up yet... Holding off until I get my new tank running.. ;) 187G of goodness!

you bastard!!! :Domgomgomg

i want pics already!!!

Archived