Top Shelf Aquatics

JDigital's 75G "No-Powerhead" Tank Build.

JDigital

The lawnmower blenny is my favorite fish. Mine used to "feed" on my hand. It's the weirdest sensation. He used to sit in my hand when I would put it in the tank. By far the most personality of all my fish.

You need a beautiful purple wrasse! Just my opinion :D

Edit: BTW, fantastic tank!!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Those frags are nice, I can see the digi looking brilliant once the polyps fill out.

How's Kush settling into his new home?

Yea, I am pretty excited about the frags. I got them from one of the best place's in canada for SPS frags IMO. www.coralmaster.com Great guy to deal with, and his corals speak for themselves.

Kush is pretty much settled in... trying to train him to eat nori from my hand, as he was doing it at the LFS, but that's also how we tried tricking him to catch him... so he is a still a bit leary, but I'll get him eating from my hand soon enough.

The lawnmower blenny is my favorite fish. Mine used to "feed" on my hand. It's the weirdest sensation. He used to sit in my hand when I would put it in the tank. By far the most personality of all my fish.

You need a beautiful purple wrasse! Just my opinion :D

Edit: BTW, fantastic tank!!

Yea, I'd actually like something red or blue... I've got a royal gramma so I already have a bit of purple in the tank, same with my coral beauty..

A Ruby Red Flasher Wrasse would be nice... or maybe a Mandarin near the end of the year... we'll see how it goes... i think I am getting close to max bio-load for this tank..

Thanks guys!

hmmm maybe i missed it... but if the power fails, will your tank drain out??

Nope.. I got a true union check valve on the return line.. the overflow would drain down to the top of the stand pipe, but that's not more than 1-2 gallons... :)

lookin great so far, just a few questions

how far above the top of the water do you have your lights?

what size tank are you using for a sump?

lookin great so far, just a few questions

how far above the top of the water do you have your lights?

what size tank are you using for a sump?

Thanks, The lights are about 6" off the water surface. The sump is a 54G tank, which will be close to 30G volume whenever I get the refuge online...

purplefirefish
Nope.. I got a true union check valve on the return line.. the overflow would drain down to the top of the stand pipe, but that's not more than 1-2 gallons... :)

i was thinking you had to have a check valve somewhere... lol

i was thinking you had to have a check valve somewhere... lol

Yea, I test it every week when I do a water change and shut off the return pump... :P

Must have been my lucky day, as I was in there today when a fish shipment came in...... Surprise Surprise, couple Aussie Black Perc's.

When I added the smaller guy first, my PBT, Coral Beauty and Foxface thought he was food for about 3secs... then left him alone, I added the 2nd bigger one, and she didn't didn't get charged the same way, but the copperband was sure checking her out.

Anyways, couple pics.

They seem to have paired up almost instantly... Hopefully the "female" doesn't attack the male, time with tell.

blackauspercs.jpg

And because "she" wouldn't get out of the frame for any shot, I figured I might as well snap her portrait as well.

CBB3-1.jpg

Bit of a system upgrade earlier this week. Finally got a chance to add a Tunze ATO to my system. 77 liter reservoir with a Seio 620 power-head suctioned to the bottom pointing vertically to the water surface to circulate. Would really like to get the 2 stands skinned someday soon so it doesn't look so ghetto. :D

tunze2.jpg

ato1.jpg

FTS shot for March.

FTSmarch1.jpg

Now that you've had them for awhile, has your butterfly, foxface, or angel attacked any of your clams or corals. I wanna get a flame angel but I'm warry of it attacking my corals (would also love a copperband and a foxface as well).

Now that you've had them for awhile, has your butterfly, foxface, or angel attacked any of your clams or corals. I wanna get a flame angel but I'm warry of it attacking my corals (would also love a copperband and a foxface as well).

generally well fed fish dont attack corals, for the majority the angelfish that do attack corals are either under fed or fed the wrong food, same goes with moorish idols

it was in an advanced aquarist or something i read a while back

lookin' great! that tank is going to be incredible when it's all filled in!

Yea, Im looking forward to seeing it myself in a 6months-year. :) Thanks!

I haven't seen anything when I'm around the tank. I feed once a day, with a great food mix from a local reefer, it's got everything possible in it I think. The CBB is eating mysis and does "her" daily hunting of the rocks, the foxface and angel get their fill of the same food plus nori clips. I tend to feed heavily which does yield slightly quicker film algae production on the glass, but I believe fat fish are happy/healthy fish. So I roll with the negatives of heavy feeding. Fingers crossed though that none of them snap and go postal on any of the corals (except the GSP maybe.. :lol: )

New addition to the tank today, and some misc. top down frag pics.

Picked up a Blue Tuxedo Urchin today:

urchin1.jpg

Pink Mille:

pinkmill2.jpg

Green Digitata:

greendigi2.jpg

Green Acropora.. still trying to get an ID:

greenacro2.jpg

Alien Freckles:

alienfreck3.jpg

Blue Stag:

Bluestag2.jpg

Excellent shots the tank is looking wonderful

Thanks Gerber... I added a few frags of Zoas today... LFS got in a great shipment on thursday and put them on sale this weekend, so couldn't pass them up.

I'll get some photos of them once they open up.. :)

tank is looking amazing!!! im always freakin JEALOUS everytime i look at this thread. your pictures are absolutely amazing!!! :angry: are you gonna hide the right loc-line?? dont even notice the left one. great great job!!! :D

tank is looking amazing!!! im always freakin JEALOUS everytime i look at this thread. your pictures are absolutely amazing!!! :angry: are you gonna hide the right loc-line?? dont even notice the left one. great great job!!! :D

hahahaa... Thanks ALOT jerzsky... The right loc-line got slighty disguised today actually... I decided to bust up a large 10lbs piece of LR today out of my fuge, and with the great Zoa frags at my LFS got in on thursday, I made a "Zoa Island" rock.. as well as added a larger piece of the LR just to the left, which has opened up a lot more room for frags/coral. :lol: Also took a local reefers advise after loosing my last perculas, and am trying 2 normal, bone-head, occelaris clowns. Gave them a slow acclimation, added them and within 10-15mins they were hosting my Torch... both ate tonight as well with everyone. fingerscrossed

Here is Zoa Island, I will get some close ups once they start opening up fully:

ZoaIsland.jpg

and 2 shots of the clowns, just incase anyone in curious, the butterfly doesn't bother the clams, just picks critters off the shell:

Action1.jpg

Action2.jpg

Beautiful shots - gotta love that powder brown!

Thanks MSU... I gotta agree with you.. :lol:

kush3.jpg

why oh why do you get all the great deals in calgary we never get nice zoas like that up here in edmonton.

It's rare that the LFS has zoas like that in as well.. We just got really lucky.. Price was unbeatable... 5 or more for $20/each.. :D

zoas7.jpg

Very nice stuff! B)

Thanks reefman... :)

My LFS, Red Coral Aquarium, got some new SPS colonies in yesterday, and when I went in to do my weekly photos for the store, I ended up coming home with one. I gotta admit, I HATE the rocks/cement that most of these colonies come in on, so I decided to remove the colony from the rock and mount it on 3 frag stones.

It's a deep water acro, but I'm still working on the proper ID..

deepacro2.jpg

deepacro1.jpg

Here's a few more misc. SPS photos... I've had LOTS of time to sit around and take pictures of my tank this week, hope nobody minds the pics.

greenmille.jpg

chalice2.jpg

greenacro6.jpg

greenacro7.jpg

Quick shot of Zac and Miri.. ;)

clowns5.jpg

Archived