Pod Your Reef

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

More GBG carnage on both sides of the body (weird colors from old iPhone camera...my trusty digital camera died) :

GBG Left Body Damage_090817.JPG

GBG Right Body Damage_090817.JPG

Funny thing is he's still fighting and eating like a champ, even with these wounds.  Larger male is ripped, too, on both sides...just not a bad.

• Wow 6
9 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

More GBG carnage on both sides of the body (weird colors from old iPhone camera...my trusty digital camera died) :

GBG Left Body Damage_090817.JPG

GBG Right Body Damage_090817.JPG

Funny thing is he's still fighting and eating like a champ, even with these wounds.  Larger male is ripped, too, on both sides...just not a bad.

19 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Wow, they're like the Hulk! 

Indeed. The gamma ray exposure really shows on the second photo. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
On 9/2/2017 at 6:25 PM, Nano sapiens said:

A few of the often shy, but always photogenic, Bimaculatus Blenny (especially for Gena and Lula_Mae) :)

Bimac Blenny1.jpg

Bimac Blenny2.jpg

Bimac Blenny3.jpg

In these pics your Blenny actually looks a little like a Mudskipper to me!!

Cool little fishy.

• Like 3
On 8/30/2017 at 7:22 PM, Nano sapiens said:

I'd like to buy from a local LFS, but the closest one that actually has some nano fish is an hour away (well, two or even more when there's traffic...which is most of the time).  On top of that, they don't take tel calls anymore and have ignore my last few emails..  For me, LA/DD is the best choice and most critters have arrived alive and healthy.

Yeah, what is the deal with the no phone thing? I like to call and inquire about stock when I'm looking for specific things. Especially when considering the drive involved in getting to their store. I usually end up at Aquatic collection, but they don't focus quite as much on Nano Fish. They'll generally get what you want from the wholesaler though if you request it. All the fish I've gotten from them have been nice and healthy, so they tend to be my go to around here.

9 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Wow, they're like the Hulk! 

Yeah, kind of throws the notion that GBGs are 'cute little fish' out the window  ;)

9 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

Indeed. The gamma ray exposure really shows on the second photo. ;)

That's what one gets with a crappy iPhone camera and editing software that has good idea what to do with image :)

9 hours ago, xellos88 said:

This kinda reminds me of the movie Splice, where both the experimental creatures turned male. It did not end well.

Haven't seen that one...will have to take a look :)

3 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

In these pics your Blenny actually looks a little like a Mudskipper to me!!

Cool little fishy.

Yeah, he does a bit!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Felicia said:

Yeah, what is the deal with the no phone thing? I like to call and inquire about stock when I'm looking for specific things. Especially when considering the drive involved in getting to their store. I usually end up at Aquatic collection, but they don't focus quite as much on Nano Fish. They'll generally get what you want from the wholesaler though if you request it. All the fish I've gotten from them have been nice and healthy, so they tend to be my go to around here.

First time I've run into a brick-and-mortar store that doesn't have communication via phone :(.  Oh well...

Good to hear that AC is responsive.  May try them next time...

2 hours ago, metrokat said:

Hello old friend. (referring to the tank) :rolleyes:

I'm sorry I have been absent but I brought my beating stick to straighten out these gobies.

I'm so jealous of my tank getting all the 'likes' and 'friendships' ;)

As for the gobies, you must have a REALLY tiny stick  :lol:

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

First time I've run into a brick-and-mortar store that doesn't have communication via phone :(.  Oh well...

Good to hear that AC is responsive.  May try them next time...

Next time you go in just let them know that their no phone and ignore email policy has cost them your business lol.

20 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

I'm so jealous of my tank getting all the 'likes' and 'friendships' ;)

As for the gobies, you must have a REALLY tiny stick  :lol:

A toothpick?

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Felicia said:

How are the GBGs doing after their latest fight injuries?  Those guys are such fat little beasts!  Has the fighting died down at all?

'Fight Night' continues nearly every day of the week.  Super fast recovery from their injuries, though.

I have a few new tank mates coming this week, so hopefully the additions will provide them with distractions :)

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, Nano sapiens said:

'Fight Night' continues nearly every day of the week.  Super fast recovery from their injuries, though.

I have a few new tank mates coming this week, so hopefully the additions will provide them with distractions :)

That's too bad that they are fighting all the time. Glad it at least isn't doing any lasting damage.

New tank mates to distract and buffer is a wonderful idea. What did you get?! I'm excited to hear!

1 hour ago, Felicia said:

That's too bad that they are fighting all the time. Glad it at least isn't doing any lasting damage.

New tank mates to distract and buffer is a wonderful idea. What did you get?! I'm excited to hear!

One thing I tried was to keep these GBGs as full as possible.  I call this the 'fat, dumb and happy' methodology, but it was only partially successful...

As to what's coming, I don't want to say until they've successfully made it into my system and are acting normally (reefer superstition).  But here's a hint:  Some are small...as in really small, one likes to 'clap' for attention and the other is a mini-me version of what you might get if a fish and a croc were to procreate :)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

One thing I tried was to keep these GBGs as full as possible.  I call this the 'fat, dumb and happy' methodology, but it was only partially successful...

As to what's coming, I don't want to say until they've successfully made it into my system and are acting normally (reefer superstition).  But here's a hint:  Some are small...as in really small, one likes to 'clap' for attention and the other is a mini-me version of what you might get if a fish and a croc were to procreate :)

Yeah, the fat dumb and happy approach is usually a good one.  That was pretty much my methodology with my wrasses and my predators.  The eel especially was so much more pleasant if you stuffed him full of food.

Understandable!  I always feel a bit like I'm going to jinx things when I announce new inhabitants.  You have to like wait a good week or so to make sure new additions are really going to settle in ok.  I like the riddle!  I have a few guesses and will have to think on this some more.  Can't wait to find out the answers!

Love your tank, I hope my little Pico will still be around in 8 more years. I want to get some mushrooms for it, just haven't found anyone locally with any for sale, maybe one day! 

2 hours ago, SavaS said:

Love your tank, I hope my little Pico will still be around in 8 more years. I want to get some mushrooms for it, just haven't found anyone locally with any for sale, maybe one day! 

Thanks.  Some of these little picos are making it to a ripe old age, so good luck with yours.

Mushrooms should be relatively easy to source, unless you are looking for the high-priced named varieties.

Good luck!

Thanks! No, I'm just looking for a normal variety mushroom, but the two lfs near me don't have any, next time I place a order online I'm hoping to get one or two. That is assuming two in my Pico will work of course. 

Some days... :rolleyes:

My order from Live Aquaria somehow got mixed up and instead of (3) Gold Neon Eviota Gobies...I got (4) Barnacle Blennies. Two are 'Pandemic Barnacle Blennies' (Acanthemblemaria hancocki) and two are 'Eyebrow Barnacle Blennies' (Ekemblemaria myersi).  Good news is that LA credited for the mix up. 

On a more normal note, my Diver's Den purchase was spot on and quadruple bagged (these folks have been 100% on my last few orders).  Perhaps a bit of an unusual choice (bought for unusual swimming style/behavior/finage, not for gaudy coloration), a Hasselt's Flaphead Goby (Callogobius hasseltii).  Hopefully, pics to follow once it is up-and-about.

Current loonie 'Cast of Characters':

(1) 'Two Spot Blenny' (Ecsenius bimaculatus)

(2) 'Green Banded Goby' (Tigrigobius multifasciatus)

(1) 'Gold Lined Cleaner Goby' (Elacatinus figaro)

(2) 'Pandemic Barnacle Blennies' (Acanthemblemaria hancocki)

(2) 'Eyebrow Barnacle Blenny' (Ekemblemaria myersi)

(1) 'Hasselt's Flaphead Goby' (Callogobius hasseltii)

(1) 'Pederson's Cleaner Shrimp' (Ancylomenes pedersoni)

Even though that's (10) fish in effectively 10g of water, the fish are mostly slender and spend a lot of time resting/perching.  I'd say it's a similar bio load to the two adult Ocellaris Clownfish I used to have in this tank.  The big question is 'Can they all play nice together?'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 5

Well that's annoying! And eviota gobies we're going to be my guess for teeny tiny fish! What are you planning to do with 3 barnacle blennies? Are you going to keep them. They're cute fish at least.

Glad the divers den portion worked out at least. LOVE the choice of goby. Reminds me of the sculpin I see perched on the kelp bases when I go keep forest diving. Love the ornate fins. Awesome choice! And so unique!

• Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic