ReefCleaners.org

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens
On 10/3/2017 at 11:38 AM, Nano sapiens said:

Barnacle Blenny Overload Update:

Pleased to say that all four 'Barnacle Blennies' are settled in and (surprisingly) behaving themselves.  Just the occational mouth opening threat displays.  All eat like there's no tomorrow  :)

In taking zoomed photos today, I noticed that I apparently have two different 'Eyebrow' Barnacle Blenny species:

Eye Brow Barnacle Blennies_100317.jpg

The top one is Eklemblemaria myersi, but the one below is apparently a different species (different coloration, eye and body pattern and fin shape).  I've checked on Fishbase through all the similar genus, but no luck so far.  

The Hasslett's Goby is still quite secretive.  I was able to find one of it's lairs (it shares it with the Yellow Striped Cleaner Goby, surprisingly) and managed to drop some chopped earthworm under it's nose...which it devoured.

So, the '9 fish and a shrimp in the 12g' is so far a-okay  :) 

I had the chance to look at these two 'Eyebrow Blennies' up close for many hours and it looks like I was mistaken in thinking they weren't the same species.  The darker, smaller of the two is so black around the head that it is only when it occasionally lightens up a bit that the tell-tale large oval spot on the cheeks is visible (which is typical of E. myersi). 

There are unique identifiers for male and female:

females have clear "windows" in the anterior dorsal fin, a pair of unpigmented spots anterior to the pelvic-fin insertion, and distinct bands on the chin, all of which are absent in males. In all three species, the supraorbital cirrus of males is longer than that of females.

However, they need do grow a bit before I can say which is which.

Not too long ago I used to have really large Petroglyph zoas (1-1/4" across).  Since they've been crowded by my Rhodactis 'Shrooms, they are back to more normal size.

But now these 'Hawaiian Ding-Dangs' have taken over as 'Kings of the Zoas' at over 1"  across :)

Hawaiian 'Ding Dangs'_100317.JPG

...and these 'Shadow Prince' Zoas are a very close second:

Shadow Prince Zoas_100417.JPG

• Like 3
cfaye@Delaware

I think I can help maybe, I forget sometimes......go to your channel, find the video, there should be some where some how a share video option, and I think you can email the video to yourself, when you open the email it should be a link, copy link.....then paste the link directly into the reply box using nothing.......I have not done a video in a while but I think that is what I did......I went back to youtube the other day and my channel has changed, trying to figure that out.......

• Like 1

Here you go!  You can actually just paste the direct link with no formatting and it will automatically pick up that its a Youtube video and embed the video.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Love the video!  Lots of fun antics!  No wonder your fish are so fat!  You're feeding them some awesome live food!  Where do you get the live worms locally?

13 minutes ago, hinnenkm said:

Just watched the video, that was really cool! Thanks for sharing :)

You're welcome  :)

3 minutes ago, Felicia said:

Here you go!  You can actually just paste the direct link with no formatting and it will automatically pick up that its a Youtube video and embed the video.

Gosh, that's a lot easier than I thought it would be!  Thanks!  :)

Just now, Nano sapiens said:

You're welcome  :)

Gosh, that's a lot easier than I thought it would be!  Thanks!  :)

You're very welcome!  It used to be more complicated since you had to use BBCode to embed, but at some point it became much easier.  Took me a bit when it switched to figure out that I could just paste in the plain old direct link.

30 minutes ago, Felicia said:

Love the video!  Lots of fun antics!  No wonder your fish are so fat!  You're feeding them some awesome live food!  Where do you get the live worms locally?

Glad you enjoyed it!  Worms are about 20 ft away...in the garden compost heap :) 

Aren't those GBGs a set of porkers!

The four Barnacles...'kwazy'  :D

The Hasslet Goby will only come out like this for the worms.   It knows immediately what's for din-din as soon as I drop something in the tank (very keen sense of smell, apparently).  For flakes, it'll barely poke it's nose out of it's hole.  For frozen Mysis or Brine, it'll cruise around under the main rock/arch, but won't venture out in the light.  Definitely a different vibe from the typical reef fish and it reminds me a lot more of some of the strange catfish I used to keep (I had a 50g almost entirely dedicated to unusual catfish 'way back when').  I especially like the cryptic and a bit odd looking critters like these.

Back-in-the-day when I lived in a Townhouse, I used to raise Dwarf African Red Worms in a styrofoam ice chest.  Super easy and no smell if done correctly!  Kept my Killies in great shape for spawning and was a great way of converting kitchen veggie scraps into something beneficial.

28 minutes ago, Felicia said:

You're very welcome!  It used to be more complicated since you had to use BBCode to embed, but at some point it became much easier.  Took me a bit when it switched to figure out that I could just paste in the plain old direct link.

Yeah, I was expecting to embed code, but this is now a breeze.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pedersons Cleaner Shrimp:  Closeup of when the eggs are transferring from the ovaries to the brooding pouch:

Pedersons Cleaner Shrimp Eggs_112017.jpg

Since there is no male to fertilize, the eggs are eventually expelled into the surroundings.  This old gal has been pumping out eggs for well over a year.

• Like 5
  • Wow 2
1 hour ago, Moolelo said:

I'm curious if the pedersons is a good cleaner? Not like for fish, but in general. How big is yours now?

Umm, not so much.  While they do search around for meaty tid-bits, they won't eat algae like hermits do.

Max size for the body is around 1-1/4", but add in the antennae and it's more like 3"  :)

17 minutes ago, Nano sapiens said:

Umm, not so much.  While they do search around for meaty tid-bits, they won't eat algae like hermits do.

Max size for the body is around 1-1/4", but add in the antennae and it's more like 3"  :)

Well if they eat the leftover meaty bits, less decomposition resulting in algae! Sounds like a good addition for smaller tanks due to size.

4 hours ago, Moolelo said:

Well if they eat the leftover meaty bits, less decomposition resulting in algae! Sounds like a good addition for smaller tanks due to size.

They are quite interesting, but be aware that they typically only live about a year or so (this old female is ancient by Pedersons shrimp standards at ~1-1/4 years old).

6 hours ago, Moolelo said:

I wouldn't consider them great cleaners, but definitely wonderful, fascinating little inverts.  My husband calls mine "Superman shrimp" because he'll stretch out his front appendages and launch through the tank like he's flying.  Great little guy!

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

Loving that ric garden! Looking forward to having some time to come back and read *gulp* most of this!

Have at it!  :)

• Like 1

Hi nano, just catching up on your thread.  I have been spending too much time in the pico section since the ccc started.  Anyway I loved the videos, especially the horror halloween flick.  No wonder those gobies look so beat up at times!

1 hour ago, vlangel said:

Hi nano, just catching up on your thread.  I have been spending too much time in the pico section since the ccc started.  Anyway I loved the videos, especially the horror halloween flick.  No wonder those gobies look so beat up at times!

Thanks for stopping by  :)

Pretty much status quo in the tank and I'll see if I can post a decent FTS sometime this month.

• Like 1
  • Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef