Top Shelf Aquatics

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

23 hours ago, gena said:

was it diver's den or regular live aquaria?

hahaha too funny.  They look so ridiculous when they do that posing like that.

I got mine from regular LA but had looked at one on DD but it sold on me lol.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I got mine from regular LA but had looked at one on DD but it sold on me lol.

I just looked on live aquaria.  They are in stock.  And very inexpensive...I thought they'd be more.  Every fish I look at is usually $30 plus LOL.  And minimum tank size is 10g!!!  That's good to know :).  If I were to get one, I'd have to get rid of the mp10 in my tank and upgrade the return pump.  Something to think about.  I'll probably hold off until we are settled in our new home fingerscrossed.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, gena said:

I just looked on live aquaria.  They are in stock.  And very inexpensive...I thought they'd be more.  Every fish I look at is usually $30 plus LOL.  And minimum tank size is 10g!!!  That's good to know :).  If I were to get one, I'd have to get rid of the mp10 in my tank and upgrade the return pump.  Something to think about.  I'll probably hold off until we are settled in our new home fingerscrossed.

Yes, very inexpensive!  And mine's destined for the 3g (so I dunno why I've been posting in the 5.5 thread LOL) but I don't think I'd go smaller than that for sure, even as teeny as they are.

5 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Yes, very inexpensive!  And mine's destined for the 3g (so I dunno why I've been posting in the 5.5 thread LOL) but I don't think I'd go smaller than that for sure, even as teeny as they are.

They only get 1.5" max according to LA.  Tiny!

6 minutes ago, gena said:

They only get 1.5" max according to LA.  Tiny!

Yeah, very tiny!  Mine must be a giant lol!  He's at least 1.5, prob close to 2" now, bigger than the GBG's I got by far!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Yeah, very tiny!  Mine must be a giant lol!  He's at least 1.5, prob close to 2" now, bigger than the GBG's I got by far!

Not for long! :)

After cleaning day I noticed this teeny-tiny little Yuma that popped out of nowhere to greet the world:

Mini Me Yuma1.jpg

99% positive it's from my 'green with yellow center' morph.  As they say, "Great things often have humble beginnings."

I've got a couple of these weird things that arrived on a Yuma frag:

Unidentified Sponge_090217.jpg

Some sort of funky sponge, I think:

More shroom stuff.  This was a tiny bit of my 18 year old Orange Yuma that got left behind when I moved the mother shroom about 3 weeks ago:

Orange Yuma Tissue Growth_090217.jpg

Always interesting to see how quickly these little blobs of tissue can develop tentacles and a mouth and how they always start out green until they get more light and turn orange.

Big Orange Momma:

Orange Yuma Mother_090217.jpg

Lastly, my little Rainbow Acan frag..that is not so little anymore:

RB Acan & Babies_090217.jpg

In just one month I counted eight new babies (left side and a bunch underneath).  That's what feeding nearly everyday does to Acans when they are in their 'Happy Place' :).  Fuzzy polyped Seriatopora aculeata(?) up top, Hawaiian Ding-Dangs on the left and Purple Hornets on the right.

• Like 8
Just now, Nano sapiens said:

A few of the often shy Bimaculatus Blenny (for Gena and Lula_Mae) :)

Bimac Blenny1.jpg

Bimac Blenny2.jpg

Bimac Blenny3.jpg

:wub:  I love these!  I just got a couple pics of mine uploaded so I'll be sharing them on the 3 gallon thread, since that's where he's destined to go lol.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Wow poor guy :unsure:

Is this the first time it's been bad like this after a fight?

This is one of the worst injuries so far, but I see this type of thing everyday.  They grow some nasty teeth (along with the enlarged cheeks) when they get older.

Their immune systems are amazing.  Typically, within a day or two a typical wound is healed.  This more serious one may take a little longer...

• Wow 3
22 minutes ago, Nano sapiens said:

'Fight Night' Damage...Ouch!!!

GBG Fight Damage_090517.JPG

I guess 12g just isn't enough to keep these two male GBGs from tearing each other to shreds...

Woah!!!!!  I've never seen that happen before!  I see them do the posing but never damage done.  Poor things.  Why do they have to be so mean to each other???? :)

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, gena said:

Woah!!!!!  I've never seen that happen before!  I see them do the posing but never damage done.  Poor things.  Why do they have to be so mean to each other???? :)

"Boys will be boys" :)

Leads me to wonder if it would be worse if a female was around :o

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

"Boys will be boys" :)

Leads me to wonder if it would be worse if a female was around :o

I thought GBGs were like clownfish in that if there are two, one will change to be a female.  I know that has a name but I can't think of it right now LOL.  Pretty sure I read that somewhere.  So if you were to introduce a female, one of those boys wouldn't survive, if I had to guess.

55 minutes ago, gena said:

I thought GBGs were like clownfish in that if there are two, one will change to be a female.  I know that has a name but I can't think of it right now LOL.  Pretty sure I read that somewhere.  So if you were to introduce a female, one of those boys wouldn't survive, if I had to guess.

I thought I had read that too but I can't remember where...but maybe it can only happen when they're younger.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gena said:

Hmmm, from what I can find:

Reproduction

Gobiodon sp. start life as females, and are bi-directional protogynoushermaphrodites, meaning that when paired up, if necessary, one changes sex to form a breeding pair. In the case of two females forming a pair, the larger of the two becomes male, and in the case of two males, the smaller changes sex to become female.

Couple possibilities:

1.  They may not be your typical Green Banded Goby (Tigrigobius multifasciatus).  There are a few species that look quite similar (verified by DNA testing as separate species) as well as possible hybrids.

2.  They may be a sub-species of Tigrigobius multifasciatus that aren't protogynous hermaphrodites.  Or, they are, but once they change from female to male, this subspecies doesn't turn back again to female.

3.  Something in the environment is preventing the sex change.

4.  They just didn't 'get the memo' :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
On 9/5/2017 at 11:17 PM, Nano sapiens said:

Hmmm, from what I can find:

Reproduction

Gobiodon sp. start life as females, and are bi-directional protogynoushermaphrodites, meaning that when paired up, if necessary, one changes sex to form a breeding pair. In the case of two females forming a pair, the larger of the two becomes male, and in the case of two males, the smaller changes sex to become female.

Couple possibilities:

1.  They may not be your typical Green Banded Goby (Tigrigobius multifasciatus).  There are a few species that look quite similar (verified by DNA testing as separate species) as well as possible hybrids.

2.  They may be a sub-species of Tigrigobius multifasciatus that aren't protogynous hermaphrodites.  Or, they are, but once they change from female to male, this subspecies doesn't turn back again to female.

3.  Something in the environment is preventing the sex change.

4.  They just didn't 'get the memo' :)

I like number 4 :lol:

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, MortalWombat said:

Thank you! I've been a lurker for a while, now I'm taking the next step

That was me, years ago.  Lurked for several months before I mustered up the courage to join.  Glad I did! :happy:

• Like 4
  • Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic