Cultivated Reef

sun sun sun (new aquarium RSM coming - pg 9)

slcw

O.K. everyone is going on how beautiful the tank is, and it's is indeed. However, those fish look seriously cramped in your tank! Is it just an "old mans" failing eyesight?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nope your eye sight is not failing u....

just that my shallow 48 inches tank (15 inches) height make it look smaller.

48x15x24 (W) is about same gallons as 48x18x18 but 15x24 has larger surface area verus 18x18 hehe

actually there sides on the left and right not shot hehe

thanks for the comment :)

Any tips on feeding a cup coral cyclopleeze and not getting it all throughout the tank? I'd like to feed the cup something more than just mysis but I'm having a hard time with the cyclopleeze.

Simplicity can be so beautiful and your tank displays that very well, excellent job.

I would like to know something though, when feeding your suncorals and others in there do you seriously target feed each individual head??

Second question, with the suncorals do they share a main body?? So if you were to feed say the top 3 heads and none of the others do the three main top heads supply food to the rest of the coral on the rock??

lakshwadeep
Any tips on feeding a cup coral cyclopleeze and not getting it all throughout the tank? I'd like to feed the cup something more than just mysis but I'm having a hard time with the cyclopleeze.

Turn off all pumps and use some type of baster or pipette to target feed the polyps. Sometimes you just have to let the cyclopeeze fall down instead of blowing it.

The cyclopeeze falling down is actually the problem because it seems that 2/3 of the stuff floats the whole time. And when I do try to squeeze out the turkey baster the cyclopeeze just sticks to the side walls.

Simplicity can be so beautiful and your tank displays that very well, excellent job.

I would like to know something though, when feeding your suncorals and others in there do you seriously target feed each individual head??

I attempt to feed every head i can see or reach, but nowaday i prefer to buy rhyzo as they are easier to feed and 1 mouth plus they open 24hrs :P

Second question, with the suncorals do they share a main body?? So if you were to feed say the top 3 heads and none of the others do the three main top heads supply food to the rest of the coral on the rock??

i believe i posted this before and what i read.

All i can say if u are not fully prepared for the hassle better not try. Cause we are human we can to be lazy :P

hehe

The cyclopeeze falling down is actually the problem because it seems that 2/3 of the stuff floats the whole time. And when I do try to squeeze out the turkey baster the cyclopeeze just sticks to the side walls.

there is many ways to feed cyclopeeze....

1) i use this: I mix cyclopeeze in advance, after the particles have settle down at the bottom of the mineral bottle i pour them. It sinks, as to whether 66% goes to waste, I cannot be perfect or accurate, I believe fish and other corals like LPS or my seafans would believe from the food storm ;)

2) i have this Kent Marine Sea Squirt (see pic)

pPETS-3763606t400.jpg

3) you can follow other brothers here, take out the sun coral into a bowl or temporary vessel and feed it, the uneaten food, can thrown away or stir until eaten, just dun forget to place back the coral :P

4) you can also use a cut mineral bottle can enclosed the sun coral and target feed with greater chance of food being captured by sun coral:)

lakshwadeep

I have frozen cyclopeeze that I soak with some tank water (using a shot glass) before adding to the tank. I rinse it also to remove the ice, which has nutrients that won't be immediately fed to the livestock (bad for water quality).

lacassiere101

thats pretty sweet. but in the terms of caring mfor sun corals, there photosynthetic right, and how hardy are they , would they do well in lets say a smaller tank like a uhh.. 10gallon aga

Previously I setup a tall refugium beside my 4ft...using this same container >>> http://www.chuisui.com/viewthread.php?tid=10651#pid308683

the lamp was vertically place for max exposure.

The chaeto grown was acceptable, but the flow was slow due to container was actually made for denitrator and my wife and mervyn both comment it look out place beside the 4ft...Ugly lar freak.gif

since my sump is 18inches tall and sump packed...i cannot place chaeto there

so i followed this design...>>>>>http://www.wetwebmedia.com/hagenrefugart.htm

initially i wanted to get dolphin brand....it was rather large, until Oceanic shown me Aquaclear which at least 30% larger.

3457255453_de6a569a03_o.jpg

here is my 5 minutes setup.

3457253889_56e305c5a8_o.jpg

because this large hangon filter comes with a 1 foot long rectangle sponge, i used it at overflow compartment, it occupied 90% of the overflow compartment and added 2 more sponges. The entire overflow is now silient....peaceful now :P

and there is additional water flow and seaside moonlight effect:D

3457254783_1ccd52fcca_o.jpg

now i remove the 2.5ft cabinet beside the 4ft and the living room is tidier :P

wish to pen here, that it has been 1 week since my tank has been fishless due die offs from ich.

taking time now to cool down.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived