inTank Media Baskets

May I introduce my 20 Long - I think it is complete!

jdsabin1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone!

Snapped some pictures today and thought I would share. They include new zoos/polythoas, my mini-carpet anenome, my garden variety fuzzy shroom, and one of my new purple yuma shrooms.

And yes, that's my lawnmower blenny, Louie peeking up behind the zoos, who is now stalking me. He nipped my hand when I was feeding the other day and now I think prefers human flesh over fish food ;).

fuzzym.jpg

purpzoos.jpg

minicarpet.jpg

polys.jpg

purpric.jpg

brain1.jpg

That's a great pic of Louie! Gotta love it when fish go medieval on yer ass! Nice garden variety shroom too. I've got one of those that just split a month or two ago. Cool lookin'!

I think my maxima got tired of pushing shrooms off him so he made a turn and wound up looking like this, right at the front of the tank. I may have to adjust him but he sure was looking good when I snapped the pic.

maxima.jpg

Tl: Dr

Nice tank but saddly unrealistic in reef structure as to what it would equate to on an actual reef.

But then you were not going for that, so, I simply say.. nice healthy looking specimin holding container........

:)

Originally posted by Dave ESPI

Nice tank but saddly unrealistic in reef structure as to what it would equate to on an actual reef.

But then you were not going for that, so, I simply say.. nice healthy looking specimin holding container........

:)

I'll take that.

As a sidenote, I have a lot of Discovery channel and Nat'l Geographic Reef specials recorded that I have watched countless times and very rarely run across a reef aquarium that looks like any sort of 'actual reef structure on an actual reef'. The few I have seen look like total ass since you don't see the colors or diversity in any one space.

You're right. I certainly wasn't going for that and getting the 'Wow! That is beautiful!' when someone comes over and sees my tank beats the 'Hmmmm...' response I would get otherwise.

*shrug*

nice that you can reply in agreement ;)

FWIW.. Recreating Mo' Nature is Fn' Tough..... I've been working on it fer 3 years in one tank... so many conflicts...... its a wonder that nature survives as it does.

TTYL :)

FWIW.. Recreating Mo' Nature is Fn' Tough.....

I recreated it at least three times. Well, three that I know of!

I dont know about you guys, but I think making a tank look like nature is all too easy. Mother nature has taken over my tanks many, many times.X) and made them look like crap.

Jefe, would you say that I have a plethora of zoos?

The Zoanthid: Any member of the order Zoanthidea, a group of about 300 species of marine animals of the class Anthozoa (phylum Cnidaria) characterized by a polyp (i.e., a cylindrical stalklike structure with a mouth and tentacles at the upper end and attached to a surface at the lower end). Seemingly a favorite among reef aquarium hobbyists due to their seemingly endless varieties of color morphs. Very hardy coral that is easily maintained in a reef aquarium.

I have massed an assortment, band, batch, bevy, blob, bouquet, bundle, caboodle, chunk, clump, cluster, covey, crew, crowd, flock, gang, gathering, group, heap, host, hunk, lot, mass, mess, mob, multitude, number, oodles, pack, parcel, party, pile, quantity, shebang, swarm, thicket, and tuft of zoos over the last 12 months. A lot of these were small outcroppings of zoos strategically placed around the aquarium and designed to always give your eye something to focus on when you weren't looking at the larger corals in the tank.

I took pictures of the more colorful varieties to share. I do have other garden variety type zoos that I didn't snap pictures of and I just got some new zoos in that haven't opened fully so I am waiting to take some shots of those. Some of them are truly stunning and I look forward to sharing.

I hope you enjoy the pics!

zoos1.jpg

zoos2.jpg

zoos3.jpg

zoos4.jpg

zoos5.jpg

yer insane

:D :woot: :D I get my zoos exlusively from:

The Logical Reef

Aquadesignz

Farms At The Sea

Goochs's Corals

They varied in price based on size. Some of them were $15, others were ridiculous quote frankly but I knew the colony would be quite large and healthy.

I have some stunning blues and some more reds that haven't opened fully yet but will take some pics of those when they do. Krisp - yes, some of the pics were some Logical Reef zoos that I just got. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking at member's tanks lately to get some ideas. In the past, the smallest reef tank I've had was a 30 gallon. Now, I'm really interested in having a smaller one. Lately, I've been really looking at the Via Aqua "open top" tanks.

Anyway, I really like your 20 long. I have a tank in the garage that would look really good as a nano reef. It's a 20 gallon also. But, it's VERY long. It's approx. 36 x 9.5 x 13. A LFS had a few custom made by Oceanic several years ago. They were designed to be a nice fit on a bookshelf.

I'm thinking about using VHO's or PC's on it. I'm worried about using a stip with VHO's that sits on the tank due to heat since the tank is not very deep.

I'll be sure to post some pics once it's up an running.

Until later...

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

Hi JD,

Beautiful tank btw. I have a similar setup excluding the lights. I was wondering where your heater is. Mine is in the fuge which is in the same position as yours and I am having problems keeping the temp constant. I think the fuge's flow isn't good enough for the circulation of the heat...

I noticed that you have 1 powerhead in the tank unlike the multiples that everyone else is using. That is doing a fine job then?

Thanks!

Originally posted by londonaussie

I was wondering where your heater is.  

I noticed that you have 1 powerhead in the tank unlike the multiples that everyone else is using. That is doing a fine job then?

Thanks! :) Nice to see fellow reefers from across the pond. Anyway, my heater is in the fuge and does a great job of keeping the water warm.

I still use one powerhead and it works fine. I also have the Aquaclear 150 for water movement of course.

HTH!

JD, I had more Q's about your harlequin tank. What type of lighting and water flow mainly.... Thanks I have a 10G here, and wanted to do either an H. elegans , or wartskin frogfish tank. lemme know harlequins......

In my 5.5 gallon Harlequin tank I use a 32 watt Supernova, with an Aquaclear Mini on one side and a small AQ Micro-Jet on the other. As it stands, it's packed with corals and LR but the shrimp don't seem to mind :).

HTH!

Archived