Top Shelf Aquatics

May I introduce my 20 Long - I think it is complete!

jdsabin1

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by heuerfan

Great looking tank, 2-175 metal halides!  Just curious, why didn't you get a bigger tank for this set up?

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you thinking that 2 175 watt MH's are too much for this tank? I can assure you they aren't as all my corals are thriving and coloring up like never before. The 20 long is exactly that ... long. 30" to be exact so if I was going to go with halides, I had to have two of whatever. The rule of thumb is one halide for every two feet so I was forced to go with two if I wanted to keep the more colorful clams and SPS corals. I also didn't want to go larger than a 20 because you quickly get out of the so called 'nano' realm. I must admit my large tank can't happen soon enough as I am going to have serveral growers that won't be able to stay in the tank longer than 6 more months or so. Hopefully I will be ready to set that up in about 8 months or so so we'll see what happens in that 'gap'.

Thanks guys ... Chris those zoos were all you buddy. I didn't even know Gooch's existed until I saw your post. The pink zoos I got from him are really cool but those orange/red zoos are the bomb. Big ol' frag for $25 and on top of that he sent along several freebies.

I'd keep piggybacking on your purchases except my tank is full up now! :P

Hehehe, now I am going to ahve to start piggy backing your purchases =). You have already been a negative influence, causing me toget the 20l, and mh hood =).

The orange/red zoos are bad ass eh? The pics just cant do them justice, and under actinic man they are just soooo sexy. The middle actually becomes an intense pink....good stuff!

Thanks guys! :)

fatamaran - those are green star polyps. They are attached to a rock so they are an island to themselves. I don't want those bad boys spreading like wildfire.

Amazing, that’s one sweet looking tank. B)

Since some of these corals were temporarily in my tank, it’s nice to see that they found a good home. :happy: Placing joint orders to save shipping is definitely the way to order over the Internet. Now you’ll have to make your son’s tank show quality too.

Originally posted by bertz_maru

hey jd... how are your corals doing under the 20ks?? i heard corals grow much slower under 20k...

To be honest this is my first go at halides so I don't have much to compare to. All of my corals have grown considerably since I left PC's though. I hacked off a bunch of xenia this morning and flushed it and my anthelia is growing like a weed. I have also noticed growth in some of my bright colored SPS corals too.

If they grow faster under lower spectrum halides, thank God I didn't get those.

:)

Purple Haze:

It's not that easy to find a pre-made 30-inch (2.5 foot) PC hood, because as you have probably noticed, almost everything is manufactured to even numbered feet.

However, here's some good stuff from a reputable source, and they pack & ship their stuff well, too.

www.ahsupply.com (go here for photos and info, their ordering page links I listed below are simple text only)

30-inch wooden canopy $36.99 (oak or black)

http://ahsupply.com/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=5

unless you're a decent woodworker, it's hard to make a simple hood this cheap, and time is money.

2x55-watt light kit $64.99

http://ahsupply.com/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=3

includes electronic ballast and a very nice reflector. A good reflector like this one will deliver a lot more light to your tank compared to a cheap one. They also include all mounting hardware, wires, clips, etc. to put this in the canopy.

BULBS:

You could (I recommend it) get two of these:

55-watt "combo" (half 10,000, half Actinic) $22.99 ea

http://ahsupply.com/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=3 (bottom of page)

Or any combination of other 55-watt bulbs.

So... canopy, lights, and 2 bulbs comes out to $147.96

I think that's a very good price for a system you can assemble in about 15 minutes. Plus, I can vouch for the quality of ahsupply's equipment. You can suspend the canopy over the tank with some hangers & decorative chain from Home Depot, budget for $10-$40 depending on what you choose.

Originally posted by jdsabin1

I hacked off a bunch of xenia this morning and flushed it and my anthelia is growing like a weed.

-WHY?!- :*(

Never flush corals. If nothing else, give them to the LFS. Bad karma to flush corals.

*swats you on the wrist*

*shakes head*

-Sumbel

Originally posted by BlackSumbel

-WHY?!-  :*(  

Never flush corals. If nothing else, give them to the LFS. Bad karma to flush corals.  

*swats you on the wrist*

*shakes head*

-Sumbel

Agreed...this hobby is more then just creating a pretty tank for you to look at...

hope U plan to upgrade to a 75 gall in like less than a year... that tank is way to over crowded with fast growing competetors.

its decent as to placement of corals, and is acurate as to lighting needs, but I fear for the Chemical soup long term damages.

timewill tell ;)

nice lighitng.. way to blow them 'OMG OVERKILL WITH THE LIGHTS... U WILL BLEACH THEM !" reef'tards over at RC outa the water.

NANO_PIRATES HOOOOEEE!!!

Originally posted by 3twenty5

Agreed...this hobby is more then just creating a pretty tank for you to look at...

Sorry guys .... not trying to be destructive or anything. In the past I have given my xenia away to anyone I know who would take it (FlyGTI has some in his tank, Seabass didn't want it, etc) and I have also sold several to my lfs (well, for store credit anyway and now they aren't interested in anymore ... I have asked another lfs in the area if they would want some and they aren't interested in the least). I also added some to my mantis tank last week as well.

As a sidenote, if this stuff shipped better I would try that route of sending it on for free if others would pay the shipping cost. I did try to send some out earlier this year to a reefing buddy, sent it priority overnight, in a box, cooler, double bagged, etc and it was mush when it got there so I have been paranoid to do that ever since (I refunded his shipping money by the way).

The bottom line is I recycle as much as humanly possible as I take it out of my tank. I just felt like I ran out of options yesterday finally. Not to fear though as this stuff in my tank grows like a weed and I do mean that literally. If it was a slow grower or was a lot rarer than it actually is I would be more concerned.

I hope that doesn't come off as me being wasteful or inconsiderate of coral reefs, etc because nothing could be further from the truth.

I hope that all makes some sense anyway.

:|

Archived