SaltCritters.com

Gulfsurfer101's AP12g 150wMH

gulfsurfer101

Sup J -

I'll be calling ya Sat bout those Palys. I know texass is itching as well for some frags. Might wanna shoot him a PM.

Dave

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gulfsurfer101
cool tank.

Thanks man. I just pulled some major changes yesterday since I didn't have to work and just woke up reefing. I transformed an old heavy duty cabinet dresser into a AP12 stand that allowed me to add a ten gallon sump/fuge that I have been wanting to do really bad since I would have to perform a water change everyday after I would feed this tank. I just cut away at the back chambers with some havy duty cutting snips and added a cpr 50 overlfow box. I also had to cut away at the sockets for the stock hood with the snips so it would fit on the back wall but it was an easy modd. I added more water volume and a chance to run a descent skimmer when I can get one. I also traded in a lot of frags for new additions and took down my 20 long and traded some stuff in out of that tank and used some rocks in here and the sump. I will be making that tank into an all in one frag tank very soon, maybe today. Here are pics of this tank after the work I did to it yesterday.

Sump addtion

sumptankadd001.jpg

sumptankadd004.jpg

sumptankadd005.jpg

FTS

sumptankadd002.jpg

New additions incude bali green slimer, bali purple enchinata, ora marshall island blue bottle brush acropora, and ora indo purple tipped staghorn acropora.

sumptankadd007.jpg

sumptankadd006.jpg

sumptankadd008.jpg

sumptankadd010.jpg

sumptankadd012.jpg

A better shot at that puple bali enchiatasomthing or another and a left side view of the tank

sumptankadd013.jpg

Top down left side, My sunset is doing nicely in it's new spot but I cant see it from the front, this is the only veiwing spot it is visible from.

sumptankadd014.jpg

right side

sumptankadd015.jpg

The shelf

sumptankadd019.jpg

sumptankadd020.jpg

And I accedintally fragged off about 1/2 peice this spongodes monti with the cleaning magnet

sumptankadd017.jpg

The peice in it's new place

sumptankadd016.jpg

All of these with the exception of the spongodes seems to have been on it's way out at the LFS and I got them for a really good deal along with some major store credit from bringing in things from my 20L tear down including unwanted fish. I will now have to look at what fish I will want to add to my tank since it is now vacant. I also sacrificed a lot of the sandbed for a bigger shelf to place SPS and my clam on and keep things like my rics out of direct light and they seem to be pretty happy today. Feel free to comment if you like but thanks for checking it out. I'm pretty proud of the way this tank has come out.

gulfsurfer101

Hey Dave, I got those paly's fragged for you. Updates include a little rearanging of the rock work and free up that sunset so I can better see it from the front of the tank. I was thinkingo of getting a small firefish to put in here later. I'm out for the day or I would post some more pics. I will get around to that possibly tonight.

gulfsurfer101

Well I got the firefish addition and that will probably be the last thing new for the week. I might try my luck at fragging that bali purple enchialade thing tommorrow pretty much the same way I did with the bali green slimer. I will have to go back to the LFS to get the propper names of the things I picked up over the weekend so I can keep track of wth I'm putting in my tank for future reference. Pics of the new rockwork that looks like the old rock work and what I believe to be better placement of the SPS tommorrow.

gulfsurfer101

Here's the latest addition after the sump this last Saterday,(11-01-08). Got a new firefish to keep things from getting so boring. He is all over the tank and is way moe active than most fish I have kept. I also just picked up a small frag of sunrise milliopora and some tub's mystic blue acropora from the LFS after tearing down my 20L and taking in my T5 system for trade. Here are some pics of the latest additions.

firefish in corner

12gT2009.jpg

in the shroom garden section

12gT2012.jpg

12gT2013.jpg

in the area of the tank that I like to call the crevice

12gT2020.jpg

Just hanginf out on the shelf

12gT2001.jpg

And the latest additions I need to go mount somewhere already.

12gT2002.jpg

12gT2005.jpg

gulfsurfer101

I just added my first sump toy after gluing down my new frags in my display. I took the old prism skimmer from my AP24 and my 20L and placed it in the sump side of the ten gallon split fuge sump as an in sump skimmer. I'm quite impressed with how much different it performs inside the sump than hanging on back of the tank. It seems to pull lot's more harder, huh huh ha, than before and it skimms with the air inflow twist knob thing at almost fully closed. Before I would almost have to run it fully open to get it to skim propperly. I'm glad I didn't pass this thing off as a peice of crap since It seems to be the perfect fit, huh huh ha, for the split ten gallon. This tank is kicking ass and I'm loving it. Everything that I didn't dip a few weeks ago is taking off at an alarming rate and those things that I stressed in that dip are getting their true colors back finally and looking to be heading back on the right track.

gulfsurfer101

Just finished making a frag of that bali purple enchinata. It looks just like the frag of bali green slimer with mutliple heads and glued to a large frag disk. Any locals want to do some trading.

gulfsurfer101

Looks like I pick only jumpers for this tank. I came home to find the firefish dreid up on the carpet today. I should have know he was a jumper since he jumped out of the tank when the LFS employee was trying to catch him. Oh well time for pics of happeir inhabitants.

Tub's mystic blue acropra

frags003.jpg

frags006.jpg

ATL sunrise millipora in the middle

frags007.jpg

frags009.jpg

Green bali that I decided to frag since it looked like it might start to give out since the LFS had it laying flat and some of the head looked like it was dying instead of growing. It is looking much healthier in this tank.

frags008.jpg

and the original peice that fragged from and the orange cap that I thought was toast from a heavyr didp I did after thinking I had nudi's

frags010.jpg

Purple bali encinata that I fragged in the same way after seeing the bali pull through.

frags005-1.jpg

and some sump/fuge shots with the prism going to work sitting inside the sump

frags013.jpg

frags015.jpg

frags012.jpg

gulfsurfer101

I want to take some rock out to free my up some space, the only problem is my sump is full and I have no where to put it. I might just have to start a pico. I was thinking of busting out the 5g hex from my shroom project and doing it all over again.

gulfsurfer101

Thanks and mucho's garcia's, I think Glenn is coming by to pick up some rubble from me tommorrow so when you going to come by and pick up tose frags. I have that green slimer and bali encinata for SPS, and a frag disk with some radioactive zoas, moonpaly's and what look's to be true PPE's. I should have duncans soon since I bought some off the classifieds here. I will be offerring them off to local's first for lot's less than what they are asking at LFS's around here. I can't spend another dollar on this tank till I get some stuff sold. Cheaply too.

gulfsurfer101

I didn't like the overstuffed look of this tank when I woke up this morning so I removed a large chunk of LR and replaced it with some smaller peices trying to acheive the look it had before I tore down my 20L and needed somewhere to store all this LR. I have the large chunk sitting in my tom's deco 3g with an HOB and might try blending up some shrooms again next week. I have everything pretty much where it is going to be until I need to move everything into my AP24. I will post some pics of it in it's new arrangement soon.

gulfsurfer101

Here's the latest. I took out the huge rock that was crowding this tank up and I think I'm done messing with it till I get my AP24 drilled and ready, equipment wise,(ACjr and vortech MP20) for me to swap everything in there. Here are pics of how this tank is rocking today after all the moving around.

Latest fts

newreef017.jpg

randoms

newreef003.jpg

newreef004.jpg

newreef005.jpg

newreef006.jpg

newreef007.jpg

newreef008.jpg

newreef010.jpg

newreef011.jpg

newreef013.jpg

newreef014.jpg

newreef016.jpg

newreef023.jpg

newreef024.jpg

newreef022.jpg

And some specifics, some of my faves!

ATL sunrise milli,

newreef020.jpg

montipora spongodes

newreef015.jpg

and ORA marshall island blue bottle brush acropora

newreef012.jpg

Some red suff that I decided to banish to my fuge

newreef001.jpg

and this wierd crab that looks to be scooping stuff into his mouth with some type of feather duster looking things. Doesn't look like a pom pom to me but I might post on ID forum at a later time.

newreef021.jpg

newreef009.jpg

As long as it's in the sump It doesn't really bother me. That's it for now sorry if your dial up but I like to keep this thread pic heavy even if they are mediocre at best.

Some Hammer / a little Frog / some green + pink birds nest /

various Zoas + Palys / GSP / A little Halmedia./

an open brain + some shrooms (rics+hairy) / some Acro here and there /

maybe a blasto or two+acans

Do you have any of this soft stuff on this list..

gulfsurfer101
Some Hammer / a little Frog / some green + pink birds nest /

various Zoas + Palys / GSP / A little Halmedia./

an open brain + some shrooms (rics+hairy) / some Acro here and there /

maybe a blasto or two+acans

Do you have any of this soft stuff on this list..

I don't really do LPS in such a small space. What I got's avilible is some zoa frags, and that's about it. I'm way to skeered to try and frag my Dr.Macs minty purpl and green acans although they look nothing like what they did on the website and am quite attached to my rics and think I need about 100 more in there. I might be able to let one go. I'll see you in a few to if you want to come and check out what I have to spare. Not much though just some zoas like I said to start to colonize your much bigger tank along with a small frag of some purple passion shrooms and what not's that I might have floating around in here.

N-R.com, Here's a quick update.......................

My clam is happy today!

gulfsurfer101

Dammit!!!!!!! I didn't get my duncans in today! I thought they would be here and after checking the tracking number I saw that they are in my city but at the unit. I hope I just didn't blow a hundred bucks. My wife would love to kill me if she knew the money I put on these things and have them croak at the postal office unit. Hopefully they make them here very early tommorrow and all is well.

gulfsurfer101

Pics of the new stuff and I finally revised the stocklist on this tank. Got my duncans in today from djchristone. Half of them are already gone and the other frag that I kept I went ahead and mounted it to a large frag disk. I also picked up a frag of ORA borealis today and it is freaking sweet. It was growing in a funny direction so I fragged it and placed the small frag on a black plastic fragging mount from ORA that my LFS had from die off's, so now I have two. I might consider trading out the smaller one for some nice collectors monti's or something if I like it or just might grow them both out in my tank. They put a limit as to how many of these go out so I'm lucky to even have them. My LFS guy is only allowed to get one per order so that must mean something about how limited this coral actually is. Enough of my rants though and here are the pics.

Duncans, mounted and still peeved from being kicked around by the postal service for the last two days.

Nikkisbabyshower011.jpg

ORA borealis side by side

Nikkisbabyshower013.jpg

Nikkisbabyshower016.jpg

small frag

Nikkisbabyshower014.jpg

Pics of the new stuff and I finally revised the stocklist on this tank. Got my duncans in today from djchristone. Half of them are already gone and the other frag that I kept I went ahead and mounted it to a large frag disk. I also picked up a frag of ORA borealis today and it is freaking sweet. It was growing in a funny direction so I fragged it and placed the small frag on a black plastic fragging mount from ORA that my LFS had from die off's, so now I have two. I might consider trading out the smaller one for some nice collectors monti's or something if I like it or just might grow them both out in my tank. They put a limit as to how many of these go out so I'm lucky to even have them. My LFS guy is only allowed to get one per order so that must mean something about how limited this coral actually is. Enough of my rants though and here are the pics.

Duncans, mounted and still peeved from being kicked around by the postal service for the last two days.

Nikkisbabyshower011.jpg

ORA borealis side by side

Nikkisbabyshower013.jpg

Nikkisbabyshower016.jpg

small frag

Nikkisbabyshower014.jpg

Looking good bro..

gulfsurfer101

Aw chucks partner, thanks. JK. I got that manderin goby today and the guy there hooked it up again. He charged me for a small something or another and I ended up paying like 12 bucks for a 20 dollar fish. I just bought him to destroy the little worm looking lice creatures that are all over my tank. I'm going to be taking him back to the LFS for credit in about two or three weeks after he does his job in there. Wish I could keep him but even with the sump I don't think I'll have enough pods to feed it unless he eats frozen mysis.

gulfsurfer101

Just made some more SPS frags out of some ORA coral today for you SPS crazy locals. SO far what I have fragged in this tank include both bali green slimer, bali pruple enchinata, newly fragged ORA Indo purple tip staghorn, and my favorite ORA borealis. I might try to get a small frag of ORA marhsall island blue bottlebrush and some others as soon as I get frag disks to place them on.

gulfsurfer101

Just looking at this tank today and I'm thinking of how crazy I have to be to frag that brand new Borealis release from ORA. It has full out crazy PE today along with the mother colony that I'm keeping. I'm currently trying to use the other one to get a replacement halide light so I can use my sunpod over my AP24. I plan on setting both up in my livingroom and tying them both into a 30g sump so they will share the same water volume and keep one as a natural reef and use the other for a frag tank.

Archived