inTank Media Baskets

Gulfsurfer101's AP12g 150wMH

gulfsurfer101

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gulfsurfer101

I didn't see anything last time I was there. I know he's had some in one of his tanks before but nothing recently. I'm telling you you need to make time to go to B&B one of these weekends. You will not be dissapointed.

gulfsurfer101

Let's just post some pics of the same old stuff along with how that clam is looking like today. I'm bored and can't wait till my stufff get's here.

garagetank013.jpg

garagetank014.jpg

garagetank015.jpg

garagetank016.jpg

garagetank017.jpg

garagetank019.jpg

garagetank021.jpg

garagetank022.jpg

I defintaely like the way my pics show up better with the 14k bulb. It doesn't have that really washed out look.

Let's just post some pics of the same old stuff along with how that clam is looking like today. I'm bored and can't wait till my stufff get's here.

garagetank013.jpg

garagetank014.jpg

garagetank015.jpg

garagetank016.jpg

garagetank017.jpg

garagetank019.jpg

garagetank021.jpg

garagetank022.jpg

I defintaely like the way my pics show up better with the 14k bulb. It doesn't have that really washed out look.

are you running a chiller in this set up? whats the temp like? i need to upgrade to sunpod asap.

gulfsurfer101
are you running a chiller in this set up? whats the temp like? i need to upgrade to sunpod asap.

No chiller on this tank since I don't need it. I keep it around 72 in the house and the tank never gets above 78* and after light out most of the temp is stablized by keeping the glass top over this tank. I don't think it ever gets more tha a two or three degree temp swing a day.

No chiller on this tank since I don't need it. I keep it around 72 in the house and the tank never gets above 78* and after light out most of the temp is stablized by keeping the glass top over this tank. I don't think it ever gets more tha a two or three degree temp swing a day.

give me hope... texas is pretty hot right?

gulfsurfer101

Today it rained and the heat index was up in the 100's with the humidity. I leave this tank in the path of my AC vents and if it get's too low my heater kicks on to stay at exactly 78*. It's one of those wal-mart cheapies but it does the trick. I don't run it till around november though since it's not needed.

i dont run ac all the time during the summer... but the temp average in my house is around 75~77 at most, my building is on the north side so it does not see too much sun. so i should be good right?

gulfsurfer101

It all depends on the size of your light vs the size of your tank. I don't really need a 150w light over this tank since it is so shallow but it's just what I prefer with all the SPS in there that can handle it really well and the for the new clam also. You can always use a 70w sunpod and you would defenatley have less of a heating issue. I've owned them both and tried the vise versa and found the 70w sunpod capable of holding LPS and zoas and even some SPS on the top shelf of my AP24.

gulfsurfer101

Alright my frags have arrived today and here are the pics. I think I am at capacity for this tank since my GF will kill me if I spend anymore money on this tank so now I guess I'll just watch everything grow out from here. How will I ever be able to control that itch. I might just pick up alcholism now.

pokerstar addition

lastadditions004.jpg

lastadditions003.jpg

Los three amigo's

lastadditions019.jpg

Check out my cans

lastadditions018.jpg

lastadditions014.jpg

lastadditions016.jpg

lastadditions013.jpg

lastadditions007.jpg

My favorite side of the tank

lastadditions002.jpg

lastadditions012.jpg

a little closer

lastadditions006.jpg

the zoa garden and acan frag in front to get a good shot

lastadditions021.jpg

new fts

lastadditions010.jpg

gulfsurfer101

It looks like I'll be fighting off monti eating nudi's tommorrow. I saw what I thought was one after lights out under my orange cap so I took it out of the tank and removed it manually. I posted a topic in the pest and treatment forum to get answers as how to get rid of these little nasties before they spread like wildfire. I hate how this tank was finally getting to that chill stage and all of a sudden I get hit with some bad luck. Why can't it never just be easy for me.

It looks like I'll be fighting off monti eating nudi's tommorrow. I saw what I thought was one after lights out under my orange cap so I took it out of the tank and removed it manually. I posted a topic in the pest and treatment forum to get answers as how to get rid of these little nasties before they spread like wildfire. I hate how this tank was finally getting to that chill stage and all of a sudden I get hit with some bad luck. Why can't it never just be easy for me.

Funny, I just finished (minutes ago) an unplanned counter attack on zoa-eating nudi's on my pico. Was fragging a few and suddenly noticed a nudi in one of my working dishes... It was at the very end of my frag session and I'd just put everything in the tank and had it all arranged how I wanted. That's when I saw the culprit, left in the container. So after a 2 hour frag sesh, I end up with a 2+ hour dip and squint sesh. Dipped all in a Lugol's solution (40 drops/gallon equivalent) for 10 minutes or so, and did a thorough scraping of egg cases (found about a half dozen) with a toothpick. Never found any other nudi's so I hope they're not hiding elsewhere.

I would think a similar process would work for your monti nudi's. My quick research tonight indicated anything from SW/FW dips with Lugol's/Iodine and/or Flatworm Exit. Didn't have any FWE on hand, but did the Lugol's, and opted for SW dipping, not FW as it doesn't seem to be absolutely necessary. The key is finding all the eggs!

Good luck, and don't sweat it. Had I not just finished the frag session, I would have enjoyed the detailed examination of the zo's and opportunity to move the tank layout.

gulfsurfer101

I might get my AP24 out of storage this weekend and transfer everything back in there permantly and just perform the dippings while I am in the proccess of getting the tanks swapped out. I wanted to wait to get that MP20 but it doesn't look like it's going to happen after dropping the cash on these frags.

It is always an adventure. I love the new frags. My aussie acan from Dr Mac actually reaches out and grabs things that go by, to eat. It ate a piece of macro algae yesterday.

Getting the AP24 out may be your only way to fight the urge. As long as you are busy arranging and adjusting, you seem very content.

Thanks for sharing.

gulfsurfer101

Right now I am tempted to just dicth this f&^%ing thing after all this hardwork. I don't think I did a good dip and my monti's are looking really stressed. I can still see polyps that are hiding but the color looks rather drab on te surface. I hope this will pass over, I am f*&^&ing peeved since these are my faves out the whole tank. I might just sell the whole f&*(%ing tank and just restock my 24 with the same ###### and do propper care to keep things I don't want out and only bring the things I do want in.

Want me to try to save them? You can bring them by tomorrow if so. dude, that new pokerstar is pretty nice, don't let it die!!!!

Also, if you want i can come by and we can try to figure out what the hell is going on with your tank.

gulfsurfer101
Want me to try to save them? You can bring them by tomorrow if so. dude, that new pokerstar is pretty nice, don't let it die!!!!

Also, if you want i can come by and we can try to figure out what the hell is going on with your tank.

I know what it is. It's those fucing nudi's I brought in the tank unkowingly from the TFH. I think they will be alreight it's just that things are still closed up from the heavy iodine dip but the pokerstar is shining through somehow. I'm throwing a birtday BBQ on the 19 this month. I would love for you and your old lady and haily to come and hang out with us. That way you can check out my new acans and give me some pointers on what the hell I should be doing to keep this tank in check. I really want to grow everything out in this 12g before I go changing everything around again and stressing out all my sh&*^$t.

I know what it is. It's those fucing nudi's I brought in the tank unkowingly from the TFH. I think they will be alreight it's just that things are still closed up from the heavy iodine dip but the pokerstar is shining through somehow. I'm throwing a birtday BBQ on the 19 this month. I would love for you and your old lady and haily to come and hang out with us. That way you can check out my new acans and give me some pointers on what the hell I should be doing to keep this tank in check. I really want to grow everything out in this 12g before I go changing everything around again and stressing out all my sh&*^$t.

cool man, let me know if i can help in any way. i'll be working the 19th (that's falls on my "on" week). i'd much rather hang out with you guys, but somebody's gotta pay the bills around here!!!

yeah man, i would just let the corals settle in to the 12g for a while. then later on you can get the 24g set up again, and good and cycled before moving your stuff over.

gulfsurfer101

I probably won't be making any rash descisions yet so everything will stay in this tank. I will try to get a stand for it that will allow me to add a ten gallon sump and use that overflow I got from you and remove the false wall from here completey like I wanted to in my 24. I might do that and add my skimmer down there to see how that will do. Like I said I like the way the tank is growing but I hate bad guys in there doing bad things to my stuff. Too bad about that day, I wanted it on a Sat but my GF said that nobody had that day off and it was supposed to be a suprise so I still have to act suprised at it. I will give you a ring this weekend and drop those paly's and shrooms off. I might even have a frag of zoas that I don't think you got in there also I will bring by.

gulfsurfer101

Looks like the things that I dipped yesterday are looking better today but still stressed none the less. I love those acans from pacific east aquaculture. I will be reordering from those guys from now on since they have stellar deals and shipping is so affordable compared to other places. I will try spot feeding those acans tonight diatome since I have noticed some sweet sweeper extensions so I guess they're hungry. Should be cool and I will try to get a vid up with my GF's camera phone.

gulfsurfer101

Thanks, that is one of my all-time favorites in this tank. He is still a little peeved from the dip but it had some polyps out earler while my lights were on. My B-day is coming in a few days and my old lady has pretty much told everybody coming to just drop cash in a goldfish bowl so I can get what I want from Pacific East Aquaculture. I want one of those half and half SPS zoa packages.

Watch out or you will end up like me. I got one of their 12 frag packs (3 zoas, 3 acros and 6 hard) and the zoas I ended up getting blew my existing zoas out of the water. Way brighter. Fast growers too. Also, colors were better in person, on the SPS, than the pictures they had and they actually have just kept getting better as they have settled in. Pacific East can be addicting. They called me like 4 times on my second order, because of a glitch on a pic, and I told them to just pick something as a substitute and was thrilled with the favia they sent and they still threw in a free chalice.

gulfsurfer101

I love it. That is what I want to hear and expect from a quality dealer. I don't have room for any favia in this tank but what are their size range. I might be able to place some things on the rocks and clear up the sand bed a little bit.

Archived