Pod Your Reef

Gulfsurfer101's AP12g 150wMH

gulfsurfer101

I'll check them out next weekend if you get time. So the guy delivered then huh. I am kinda bummed about all the stuff this weekend with my car battery preventing me from getting a vortech and then the lame bayfest thing taking up a good chunk of my cash I had planned on using to get that thing. Looks like I'll be getting all the OT I can next week. I am still thinking of getting two of the acans though since payday is only a few days away. Hey man thanks for the new frags, they are looking sweet and filling up the tank nicely.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll check them out next weekend if you get time. So the guy delivered then huh. I am kinda bummed about all the stuff this weekend with my car battery preventing me from getting a vortech and then the lame bayfest thing taking up a good chunk of my cash I had planned on using to get that thing. Looks like I'll be getting all the OT I can next week. I am still thinking of getting two of the acans though since payday is only a few days away. Hey man thanks for the new frags, they are looking sweet and filling up the tank nicely.

Let me know if you get those acans, I'll want to check them out.

Definately. I'm still trying to decide which ones I want. I will most likely know if I will get then tommorrow or just wait till I can get a bigger order after thursday. If you wanna try and help me frag them I'd be willing to trade for some more SPS stuff you got.

I think I better hold off until payday so I can just get everything I want at once and take advantage of that flat rate shipping fee. Beside this little tank is getting crowded up so I have to do some rearraging to make room for some acans and more frags.

I'm thinking of doing some rearanging to free up some space in here, what do you guys think. Should I leave it alone or should I try to get those monti's higher towards the light and clear up some of the sand bed. I also want to get a small clam but don't know if it's possible to do in a tank this small with SPS. What do you guys think. I do a three gallon water change every three days and am now dosing with API trace element every day inbetween those WC's.

AcroporaLokani

Looks nice, That monti cap looks like it will grow in to a nice swirl. The colors of the corals just pop next to the black sand.

gulfsurfer101

Thank you very much, I like the 20k bulb. It makes those cheap little zoas look so much better and kinda give them a glow. I also noticed the rapid growth of that vanilla greentipped frag inbetween the rics on the bottom picture is now starting to encrust nicely where I mounted it about three weeks ago. The only rearanging I've done so far to this tank is remove the 12g pump and installed the one for the AP24 so I got lots more flow in there and I'm finally happy with surface agitation on this tank. I may even install one of those overflow boxes I have from an old nanocube I got rid of a while back and just glue it over the intake teeth.

gulfsurfer101

After further examining this tank earlier I also noticed that all the frags I picked up from Glenn are starting to take off in my tank with the exceptions of the two I want the most to grow out. The sunset is looking very nice though and it's true colora are finally showing through and the rainbow is still trying to let it's colors through. I have faith that in about three more weeks it will be full throttle. I have noticed that frag with the green tip has started to encrust over some of my black sand or I wouldn't have noticed it at all. Also the Idaho grap cap looks like it's making it's way down the rock I placed it on getting a beter grip. That orange cap I picked up from a LFS has started to encrust further down the rock also and is looking bigger but I just cant tell right now. I never really noticed any signifigant growth under the current stock 14k just awsome coloration from it. I think everything is happy under the 19 dollar 20k bulb from fishneedit.com so when I get some cash I will definately be getting a better 20k bulb.

gulfsurfer101

Also looks like I'm going to pass on the acans this week since they are at a good price all the time at that site and I can get them later. I just saw a sweet deal on some pokerstar montipora and I'm thinking of getting what frags he has left along with whatever other frag or two I can throw in since I will be getting free shipping after getting the frags.

gulfsurfer101

Stayed up a little late tonight for my direct deposit. I had the itch to actually spend some cash on this tank and get those acans after all. I guess theres really no such thing as free shipping so I went with a different carrier and ended up spending a little more on that pokerstar monti but at least is WYSIWYG and it looks good and ready to crust over the disk so I should be cutting frags of it in no time. Can't wait till I get them in my tank. Should be a nice addition to what is already turning out to be a pretty nice little nano.

gulfsurfer101

I can't wait till the frags get here most likely on Tuesday. Looks like this little monti house is starting to fill up nicley. I am currently hunting down more monti's that I can fit in here that are considered rare or collectors since that seems to be what I'm doing with this tank. Any suggestions are welcome right now and everything is looking good at this point. Nothing worth updating with pics except some rearrangin of the SPS on higher rock to get the best light possible. I will take pics of the new arrangement after I get the latest additions or if I get bored enough later. I am loving this little tank very much at the moment. I might try to hunt down a small cheap clam this weekend to add some life in there.

gulfsurfer101

Alright looks like there's enough jibba jabba here and not enough pics of the new look I gave it trying to free some room on the sandbed for those acans and I have no idea where the pokerstar will go yet. I keep looking at this tank and can't tell you guy's enough how much glennr1978 rocks for hooking me up with these frags of things that I have been searching out high and low. All my SPS coral is starting to grow now and lot's of things have started to color up nicely. I think 20k is a bit too blue to get decent pic's though and everything comes out washed up looking and not at all as cool as it looks in person. My coral seems to favor this color temp though and that's what counts for me. I might try to get a better quality camera or actually try to figure out how to work this one first to get a good color balance to better represent what I'm trying to take pictures of, yadda yadda yadda, here are the latest pics. Taken 10 minutes after the latest water change and reaquascaping.

funandfishstuff015.jpg

funandfishstuff021.jpg

funandfishstuff010.jpg

funandfishstuff032.jpg

funandfishstuff036.jpg

funandfishstuff026.jpg

funandfishstuff038.jpg

gulfsurfer101

Here are just some more that I can get in more detail with.

Monti cap that is starting to take off for me,( I have noticed some massive growth out of this thing since I brought it home)

funandfishstuff049.jpg

Idaho grape that is starting to crust nicely onto the rock I placed it on.

funandfishstuff050.jpg

Still my fave( sunset ) monti. Seems to have nice PE 24-7

funandfishstuff040.jpg

I'm starting to wonder if this rainbow monti will ever color up for me but I have noticed that it has grown a little bit since I put in in my tank.

funandfishstuff043.jpg

Still unidentified monti but very cool nonethe less

funandfishstuff044.jpg

I've got a bunch of these little rocks from my 5g shroom expirement

funandfishstuff046.jpg

gulfsurfer101

Here are the latest pics with the new addition. Got this tiger deresa that's about 1.5" for this tank to bring some more life in there like I had been contemplating over. I just dropped him in there about a half an hour before taking these photo's and it looks like he was already popping out of his shell.

clamaddition003.jpg

clamaddition002.jpg

clamaddition004.jpg

clamaddition001.jpg

New SPS in it's new place

clamaddition010.jpg

clamaddition015.jpg

I nearly tore this tank apart getting this yuma out from behind the rockwork since I thought it wasn't getting sufficient lighting.

clamaddition021.jpg

and now just for some random sandbed shots and maybe a FTS or just about anything else I feel like adding on here from today.

clamaddition023.jpg

clamaddition022.jpg

clamaddition016.jpg

clamaddition017.jpg

clamaddition024.jpg

clamaddition025-1.jpg

Shrooms any one! lot's of purple passions and many other blue's and some whites

clamaddition013.jpg

clamaddition012.jpg

clamaddition014.jpg

I think that should be enough pics for now or at least till that clam fully opens.

gulfsurfer101

Update, that clam is doing well and is fully aclimated himself nicely. I will get better pics of him sometime next week along with the new stuff to be arriving. I don't think I can fit much more in this tank till I get some rock out of there or just upgrade back to my AP24.

gulfsurfer101

I think it will be fine. I'm doing a three gallon WC every three days and dosing with API trace elements every day inbetween. It says that it has 60 different minerals that are found in reef sytems and it's basically like buying the shelf at the LFS. Everything seems to like this stuff.

gulfsurfer101

I just couldn't resist since I saw this huge orange ric at the LFS today so I had to go back and take all the spare crap I could possibly spare to get a nice trade for it. I got it for a little over 5 bucks after all was said and done. Pics of it will be up later or when I get my frags from Pacific East Aquaculture in. I've got a Toadies concert to head to so I don't have the time right now but I can't help thinking score. I am running out of room faster than I expected in this little box.

gulfsurfer101

Here are the pics of the ric I brought home yesterday. It was on huge polyp that I sliced directly in half to get them growing in two different spots in this tank. I want as many things growing in this tank in as many places possible. I was looking it over this morning and have noticed everything is budding nicely. New zoas are growing, SPS is encrusting, paly's are sticking themselves to different rocks, and I got some accidental frags that look like they just might grow out after all.

New Florida rics that I fragged.

shrimpsalad012.jpg

shrimpsalad008.jpg

gulfsurfer101

Thanks. The best thing I like about it is it's very compact which is very important in this cramped space. Weds. I should have the latest additions for this tank and I will try to hold off on adding anything new but we'll see how that goes. It's getting very tight in there very fast so I might just need to bust out the old AP24 sooner than I wanted to or just learn how to practice some patience. I'm very pleased with how this tank is going so far.

gulfsurfer101

I also decided to switch bulbs back from the cheap fishneedit.com 20k to the current powerpack stock 14k bulb just to make shure that clam is getting the fullest lighting potential possible. Also, I never minded the coloration I would get out of this bulb for my SPS. I really liked the 20k look though so I might be looking for an XM or radium 20k or might even try out the pheonix 14k. It all just depends to when it comes down to it.

I also decided to switch bulbs back from the cheap fishneedit.com 20k to the current powerpack stock 14k bulb just to make shure that clam is getting the fullest lighting potential possible. Also, I never minded the coloration I would get out of this bulb for my SPS. I really liked the 20k look though so I might be looking for an XM or radium 20k or might even try out the pheonix 14k. It all just depends to when it comes down to it.

I like the clam, did you get it at TFH? I'm sure your 20k would still be plenty of light for it considering you're running a 150 over a 12g.

So, is that Cheese Whiz behind the clock and aquarium? How often do you dose that? :lol:

Seriously, lots of interesting stuff in there. Thanks for sharing your adventures.

gulfsurfer101

Daily doses of cheesewhiz for my fish, Jk. It's my daughters, she was tearing up some chessy crackers and watching her tank grow with her dad. I scored the clam at the new place. It was a little high for a deresa of that size but I can't complain about the quality. I guess the ten dollar ric made up for the feelings of getting kinda taken. I hawked off some spare junk and I scored a pretty seet addition. I figure 20k over this tank is still plenty of light but if it was a higher end bulb I would feel safer with running it. I still don't know much about the cheapie bulb to trust in it like I do the current stock bulb. Also I can't wait till I get the frags I ordered in tommorrow.

Archived