SaltCritters.com

The Officially Unofficial Tank Contest

Weetabix7

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply
angelacbishop

So now that we're in the home stretch, I'm wondering how the judging is going to work? Will we be allowed any number of pictures besides just a FTS? Are we going to need to post specs?

So now that we're in the home stretch, I'm wondering how the judging is going to work? Will we be allowed any number of pictures besides just a FTS? Are we going to need to post specs?

I'll discuss that with the other judges and get back to you.

Give us a couple of days to iron out details.

I think there should be some sort of time limit on pictures. Like, you can only post pics that have been taken within the last month. Otherwise you could post old pics of pretty things that have since declined. jmo

Here is my opinion, as if anyone cares. Post each month FTS along with 5 random shots that the contestant takes. List the specs, inhabitants, costs and a description of the tank and why we built it the way we did. Whatcha think?

Pictures of things when we put them in the tank & growth over the time of the contest might be good. You could require beginning pictures to be ones already posted. Just a thought.

shouldnt this be discussed BEFORE the contest started? not when its near completion?

Meh, I see no difference as long as they are all judged the same way.

Plus....lets not lose sight of the fact we all joined in this for FUN.

It WAS discussed briefly- as I recall- and we all pretty much agreed we would hash that all out when the time came.

I guess the time has come LOL

Whatever you guys think, really. TY's idea sounds pretty good. Each months FTS, a couple favorite shots and roll with it.

Now lets get it over with and give TYTY and Maria their prizes. :P

shouldnt this be discussed BEFORE the contest started? not when its near completion?

I think it's more of a discussion for the next contest. I think people should just post pictures with a newspaper showing the date or something if people are worried they are using old pics. I mean you could even just do that with the last pic of the tank and the first. Then you would know at least when it began and when it ended.

I think it's more of a discussion for the next contest. I think people should just post pictures with a newspaper showing the date or something if people are worried they are using old pics. I mean you could even just do that with the last pic of the tank and the first. Then you would know at least when it began and when it ended.

I doubt very much there will be another.

This one was "unofficial" because previous contests suffered many drop outs and failures etc.

This contest pretty much confirmed CM's thoughts and concerns on NR tank contests. If you have been following along from the beginning I'm sure you saw how many contestants dropped out, for various reasons.

I don't think documenting or verifying pictures with date stamps etc is really necessary IMO.

The monthly FTS would show progress, good or bad no?

Oh, and again..........THIS WAS FOR FUN! Lets try to keep it simple for the judges and organizers. :)

I doubt very much there will be another.

This one was "unofficial" because previous contests suffered many drop outs and failures etc.

This contest pretty much confirmed CM's thoughts and concerns on NR tank contests. If you have been following along from the beginning I'm sure you saw how many contestants dropped out, for various reasons.

I don't think documenting or verifying pictures with date stamps etc is really necessary IMO.

The monthly FTS would show progress, good or bad no?

Oh, and again..........THIS WAS FOR FUN! Lets try to keep it simple for the judges and organizers. :)

+1 on the judging its going to be like judging ice skating as it is all subjective to preferences

I do hope there will be another contest but just not so LONG maybe innovation or creation based maybe a theme that doesn't focus as much on the content but more on the container .

I do hope there will be another contest but just not so LONG maybe innovation or creation based maybe a theme that doesn't focus as much on the content but more on the container .

That me, lol.

I'd like to see a contest on the most unique aquascape, barebones no corals. You could judge on style and shape. Popular vote would of course chose the winner of the finalists.

I'll be honest, I haven't run this past the other judges yet, but here's my thinking on how we should do things for the final judging.

We've discussed this before, but the final judging to determine winners will actually be done by the N-R community. I'll start a thread with a poll for each category (best 5.5, best 10g, Most Innovative) and N-R will vote for their faves.

I'm thinking each person should treat their entry on the final judging/poll thread as a mini TOTM synopsis.

Post ONE pic from each month FTS that you posted and do it in chronological order to show the growth and changes in the tank. You can also post up to 5 "up close" macro shots of your favorite things in the tank.

Then discuss your goals for the tank and how they worked out in reality. What you would have done different, what you're glad you did, and just give a good (but brief please!) synopsis.

Keep in mind that if you post a novel, your NR judges will most likely get impatient, stop halfway through, and go on to the next person.

As a community, we seem to prefer comic books to in-depth novels!

So what does everyone think of the above?

Did I leave anything out?

Kmitch?

Dshnarw and Arwndsh?

angelacbishop

I think that's a great idea Weetie. I also think it would be nice if we were allowed to include just a few close-ups (maybe limit it to 3 or 5) so we can showcase some of the highlights of the tank. Usually when I look at the TOTM or tank threads the closeups are the pictures that I like the most.

I think that's a great idea Weetie. I also think it would be nice if we were allowed to include just a few close-ups (maybe limit it to 3 or 5) so we can showcase some of the highlights of the tank. Usually when I look at the TOTM or tank threads the closeups are the pictures that I like the most.

Yeah, you're right, I meant to mention that.

Will edit above post, and thanks.

Weets the only thing I might add is that the last fts be listed as a like to the synopsis in the polling thread. That way the lazy ppl can see something to be able to vote without having to go digging. Maybe set up a template that shows what the synopsis is supposed to look like? Should the synopsis be in their threads or in a new thread?

This is starting to sound like work .... too much effort

Are my shoes feeling a little tight? :)

I don't that all of the above needs to be a requirement.

If you want to post one pic and no explanation, by all means go for it.

You'll probably be less likely to win with that approach though.

Archived