ReefCleaners.org

The Officially Unofficial Tank Contest

Weetabix7

I'll be honest, I haven't run this past the other judges yet, but here's my thinking on how we should do things for the final judging.

We've discussed this before, but the final judging to determine winners will actually be done by the N-R community. I'll start a thread with a poll for each category (best 5.5, best 10g, Most Innovative) and N-R will vote for their faves.

I'm thinking each person should treat their entry on the final judging/poll thread as a mini TOTM synopsis.

Post ONE pic from each month FTS that you posted and do it in chronological order to show the growth and changes in the tank. You can also post up to 5 "up close" macro shots of your favorite things in the tank.

Then discuss your goals for the tank and how they worked out in reality. What you would have done different, what you're glad you did, and just give a good (but brief please!) synopsis.

Keep in mind that if you post a novel, your NR judges will most likely get impatient, stop halfway through, and go on to the next person.

As a community, we seem to prefer comic books to in-depth novels!

So what does everyone think of the above?

Did I leave anything out?

Kmitch?

Dshnarw and Arwndsh?

Isn't that what I said? :huh:

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Weets the only thing I might add is that the last fts be listed as a like to the synopsis in the polling thread. That way the lazy ppl can see something to be able to vote without having to go digging. Maybe set up a template that shows what the synopsis is supposed to look like? Should the synopsis be in their threads or in a new thread?

If the last pic is the only thing in the polling thread, there will be a lot of lazy voters that won't bother to check out the build, progress & problems some had to overcome & the journey to the outcome. Also the synopsis would need to be more wordy. Just a thought.

If the last pic is the only thing in the polling thread, there will be a lot of lazy voters that won't bother to check out the build, progress & problems some had to overcome & the journey to the outcome. Also the synopsis would need to be more wordy. Just a thought.

You could put a series of pics for people to look at to help refresh their memory of which tank they are voting on. I guess just links would be good enough as well.

• 4 weeks later...
angelacbishop

So the contest ends tomorrow! Where are we supposed to submit our writeup and photos? Does anyone know what the final prize $ ended up being for each category?

So the contest ends tomorrow! Where are we supposed to submit our writeup and photos? Does anyone know what the final prize $ ended up being for each category?

Final prize $$ is $489 divided 3 ways, whatever that comes out to.

I'll see what I can do about starting a thread sometime today for all the entries to post their wrap-up in, and it will have a poll at the top for NR to vote.

You can put as much or as little in your synopsis as you like, but remember that NR at large will be voting depending on what you put, so the better of a job you do and the more time you take with it, the better your chances are at winning.

My suggestion of what you should include is: 1 pic from each month to show the progression of the tank, 2-5 other pics of some things you might have thought were noteworthy, a final budget breakdown to show how funds were used and to make sure you stayed on target, a summary of what you hoped to achieve and how it actually worked out, and anything else you think might be worth mentioning.

You don't want to end up with a novel, but a concise description of the above would be good.

If you like, I can give you guys an extra day or two just to pull all of that together. I don't know about you, but this final deadline kinda snuck up on me!

The original deal was that the prize money would be received in the form of a Gift Certificate to one of our Sponsors, so the winners will have to let me know the Sponsor of their choice.

Can anyone think of anything I might have left out?

Any questions?

where should we submit our last update and final entries? in our tank thread?

also a couple extra days would be nice to put together some nice summaries of our tanks progress.

where should we submit our last update and final entries? in our tank thread?

also a couple extra days would be nice to put together some nice summaries of our tanks progress.

As I just stated above, I will start a thread for the final entries.

It will have a poll at the top for NR to place their votes on the best entries for each category.

Actually, now that I think about it, it might work better if you go ahead and post all of the info on your tank thread, and I can go to your post on your tank thread and just copy it for the final thread that I will start with the poll in it.

angelacbishop

Ok, so everything is due in our tank threads by the end of the day tomorrow? I don't really think there should be any flexbility on the deadline since there wasn't for the other FTS due dates. Everyone has known the deadline for 6 months...

Ok, so everything is due in our tank threads by the end of the day tomorrow? I don't really think there should be any flexbility on the deadline since there wasn't for the other FTS due dates. Everyone has known the deadline for 6 months...

That's true.

Everyone have all the pics, the synopsis, all that stuff on your tank thread by midnight tomorrow.

Once that's up, I'll take everything from the tank threads and combine it onto one thread for NR to vote for the winners.

Needreefunds
That's true.

Everyone have all the pics, the synopsis, all that stuff on your tank thread by midnight tomorrow.

Once that's up, I'll take everything from the tank threads and combine it onto one thread for NR to vote for the winners.

been dere dundat.

All done Weets, quick and clean. :)

I have all but the FTS done. I can't believe this is already the 16th. I'll add the FTS tomorrow.

After I process web orders, clean the glass & come get you & the boys! Hope you are all packed! :lol:

Holy crap I totally forgot. I think I'm screwed. I was reading the thread hoping Weetie would decide on an extra day or two but I suppose I better get to cleaning. So what's the final word? Post the story and pics in out thread?

Final prize $$ is $489 divided 3 ways, whatever that comes out to.

I'll see what I can do about starting a thread sometime today for all the entries to post their wrap-up in, and it will have a poll at the top for NR to vote.

You can put as much or as little in your synopsis as you like, but remember that NR at large will be voting depending on what you put, so the better of a job you do and the more time you take with it, the better your chances are at winning.

My suggestion of what you should include is: 1 pic from each month to show the progression of the tank, 2-5 other pics of some things you might have thought were noteworthy, a final budget breakdown to show how funds were used and to make sure you stayed on target, a summary of what you hoped to achieve and how it actually worked out, and anything else you think might be worth mentioning.

You don't want to end up with a novel, but a concise description of the above would be good.

If you like, I can give you guys an extra day or two just to pull all of that together. I don't know about you, but this final deadline kinda snuck up on me!

The original deal was that the prize money would be received in the form of a Gift Certificate to one of our Sponsors, so the winners will have to let me know the Sponsor of their choice.

Can anyone think of anything I might have left out?

Any questions?

That's true.

hurry TY hurry !!

Archived