Coral Vue Hydros

The Officially Unofficial Tank Contest

Weetabix7

Wow, the exact response I expected from you......... :rolleyes:

You mad about the gloves comment? :happy:

lol. pay no attention to me. just bustin' ballz. :P

Wow lol

or a fish carpet surfs? or a snail gets eaten by a hermit...ya know shiz happens

net cover, don't set-up a tank without it. ;) lol.

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well i think once a tank has fully cycled and stocking begins, thats your budget, replacing stuff should come out of budget too, careful planning is good. i mean im sure that i might get flack but IMO i think the $300 is a good cap, replacing corals or fish should come out of that total members of CUC not so much. i mean crabs snails and what not die or get eaten or what have you. fish die, but usually only if water quality is maintained and same with corals but, i would think that most of us know how to check water and keep things up. IDK interesting twist i guess

Got2envy brought up an interesting question. Say something dies, whether coral or othe livestock, should we be allowed to replace it with the same thing (in the case of fish or shrimp) or deduct the cost of it to use somewhere else?

For instance, if my tank crashes in a month and I only have $6 left in my budget am I screwed or should I be allowed to start over with the original budget for my livestock?

I think its whatever you have in your tank at the time the contest ends. Let the voters decide based on the monthly progress. My issue is what if I add something and then dont like it and i take it out that shouldnt count against my budget. there are too many diffrent scenerios to consider. This is for fun more than anything. I vote keep it fun and simple :)

well i think once a tank has fully cycled and stocking begins, thats your budget, replacing stuff should come out of budget too, careful planning is good. i mean im sure that i might get flack but IMO i think the $300 is a good cap, replacing corals or fish should come out of that total members of CUC not so much. i mean crabs snails and what not die or get eaten or what have you. fish die, but usually only if water quality is maintained and same with corals but, i would think that most of us know how to check water and keep things up. IDK interesting twist i guess

I understand your reasoning but in reality we are all way over budget if we were to count everything we have used. Whatever everyone decides is cool with me so..........

Thanks everyone for letting me stay. I would be fine with doing a late fee. All I could do was post a picture of what I had at the moment.

Hang in there wobbabobba....

As for the " replacement question" I think Weetie was of the opinion once its in the tank it counts against the budget, if it dies- tough shrimp! :lol:

Personally I thought you should be allowed to replace it but........JMO.

I also think the whole contest went awry with the abuse of the under $15 and its free rule.....WAY too much freedom found there.

But hey, I'm along for the ride anyway! Its all good and I'm having a blast playin along. :)

I'm trying to see how much I can do with how little. Not how much can I get away with or how can I get "around" the rules. Again, JMO.

Carry on! :lol:

^ this is why i am keeping two different talleys or budgets on my tank and posting them so, all costs can be looked at. the under $15 rule is fine, there are a lot of little things that you buy that are really no big deal to me.

Hey Weetie, just found this, don't know if you have seen it before, but it made me think of you right off the bat............................

29938159-M.gif

I would say that once you have started your budget is your budget. In the event of a death, etc, tough love, thats the joy of the contest. I think Weetie and I would be willing to hear individual cases that might warrant an exception, but my personal take is that you have your budget, use it wisely.

Weetie feel free to add your $.02

Hey Weetie, just found this, don't know if you have seen it before, but it made me think of you right off the bat............................

29938159-M.gif

LOL, yeah I've seen it, The Hoff uses it as his avatar.

Thanks for thinking of me though! :happy:

Kmitch, I'm still pondering...

I assume that if you remove something over the course of the contest you can deduct that amount from your running total as well
Yes, that's correct.

So I thought this was already ruled on at the start ? so is the question at hand only if something dies ?

yes, if you are no longer using something you get money back, question is about the fishes that goes carpet surfing. Weetie and I are in discussions.

yes, if you are no longer using something you get money back, question is about the fishes that goes carpet surfing. Weetie and I are in discussions.

perfect thanks

angelacbishop

Darn...one of my gobies came in the shipment with a crooked spine and I was worried about him right from the start but I wanted to give him a chance so I put him in my contest tank. Hope that doesn't mean that I have to include him in my budget. I would have just thrown him in a different tank if I'd known that because he wasn't looking that healthy. But if that's the rules then I'll live with it...I'll wait on the final decision.

clownfish1124
if your smart you can buy everything, even lighting for under 15 dollars. I can post a list when I am on my computer.

well here is my very un-beneficial list! after all, it's a little late to buy equipment:

1. Tank, 5.5 gallon, free
  2. filter, whisper junior, x2 ($10 each) with one used as a refugium
  3. heater, tetra 50 watt pre set (14.99)
  4. if needed, any small powerhead ($8-12)
  5. 13 watt hellolights cf retro, x3, $15 each
  6. 2 50/50 hellolights bulb, $10 each
  7. 1 actinic 03 hellolights bulb ($6)
  8. wood for canopy, free
  9. scraper/ magnetic cleaner ($5-10)
  10. 5 dollar submersible led light (off of ebay for fuge)

i don't think rock and sand are included for the budget.

Any one decide on the rules for the carpet surfing fish, eaten snails, sick fish etc. yet?

I would hope you could at least put 3/4 of the price back into your budget if not all of it. I suppose you could put a lid on it and just take it off for pics.

Archived